P-38J Lightning

Hello friends,

After a far too long of a delay, I have finally added my ( paltry ) third completed project for the year.  This is the Academy P-38J Lightning.  Here are the highlights of the kit…………………

*Note: Italeri now has boxed the molds this wonderful kit 

1. Paints / colors used

A. AK Interactive Extreme Matt Aluminum ( main airframe color )

B. AK Interactive Extreme White Aluminum ( highlight airframe color )

C. MRP Matt Black ( acrylic ) for the anti-glare panels

D. Vallejo washes:

1) Dark Gray - panel lines

2) Oiled Earth - gear wells

3) European Dust - accent panel lines

4) Light Rust, White, & Black - various locations

E. Tamiya :

1) Metallic Gray XF-56

2) Sky Blue X-14

3) Yellow Green XF-4

4) Clear Red X-27, Clear Blue X-23, Clear Green X-25, Gunze Clear Yellow H-91

F. Model Master Interior Green

G. Mission Models Flat Finish

2. Super Scale Decals P-38J/L Lightnings #72-865

3. Eduard photo etched seat belts

4. Master gun barrels

5. Various chalk pastels

6. Eduard Canopy Mask

7. Uschi “fine” bobbin thread

I built this kit a number of years ago and found it to be delightful.  With the desire to build a natural metal / silver finish, I chose a higher quality kit due in large part the extra effort that is required for those types of finishes.  The decals went without any issues and adhered nicely with setting solution.  In fact, I cannot recall when or where I obtained them. I flatten the bottom of the tires to simulate the weight of the aircraft and to aid in a proper and more realistic appearance.  

This kit is outstanding to spend some time with.  I highly recommend it for all skill levels.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

With much respect,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 40
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Zigomar said:

Excellent ! I'm a P-38 bona fide!

Thank you Jean.  Your comments are most appreciated. :like:

2 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Great choice of markings - the sharkmouths & the blue bits really add a dash of color!

Was this a Pacific Theater aircraft?

Thank you Roman.  Like Jean, I am most appreciative of the kind words especially given the talent artists such as you and Jean possess.  Yes, this particular Lightning was used in the Pacific Theater of operations which I forgot to include in the description.  

Mike

A real knockout!

Your panel lines and weathering really top off an excellent NMF:clap2:

I suspect the Academy P-38J kit is the one to choose in 1/72; although happy for you to enlighten me if you know otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work Mike - I had assumed that this was 1:48 until I actually read the tags!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Great looking Lightning Mike, makes me want to get stuck into one of mine. Interesting Italeri now have the molds for this kit as the Academy kit was like hens teeth to find.

5 hours ago, kapam said:

A real knockout!

I suspect the Academy P-38J kit is the one to choose in 1/72; although happy for you to enlighten me if you know otherwise.

We can only pray for Tamiya to downsize their awesome 1/48 P-38. But yea the Academy P-38 is the one to go for

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Lovely work, Mike. You have obviously spent a lot of time and effort with this outstanding model.

Thank you Vinnie!!!!!  Actually, I did not spend as much time on this kit as one might expect.  This and other excellent molded kits are the perfect choice for a natural metal / silver finish. 

12 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Both Lightnings look great!

Thank you Doc.  It`s hard to believe how long ago I built the first one now.

12 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Excellent build and finish on both Lightnings !

Wulfman

Thank you sir!!!! I can tell the difference between the two Lightnings that I have built in terms of quality and techniques that I have learned over time.

6 hours ago, kapam said:

A real knockout!

Thank you kapam.  Washes bring so much realism to a subject for little effort.  I made certain that I bought a wide spectrum of colors for the proper effect one desires.  Yes, as TempestWolf has detailed, for 72nd scale, the Academy / now Italeri Lightning is the best option.

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Mike - I had assumed that this was 1:48 until I actually read the tags!

Cheers,

Roger

Thank you Roger!!! I am honored for the praise coming from a skilled artist such as yourself.  

1 hour ago, Tempestwulf said:

Great looking Lightning Mike, makes me want to get stuck into one of mine. Interesting Italeri now have the molds for this kit as the Academy kit was like hens teeth to find.

We can only pray for Tamiya to downsize their awesome 1/48 P-38. But yea the Academy P-38 is the one to go for

Thank you!!! Yes indeed.  There was a time when I thought I would never find another Academy Lightning as it, for whatever reason, went out of production.  Thankfully Italeri picked up the molds and re-released this fantastic kit.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1