IS-2 heavy tank (1/72)

Hi all,

Here is my finished is-2 heavy tank, zvezda in 1/72. 

I really enjoyed this one. Trying more techniques and learning more now (finished tank no.4). The white lines are hand painted as I thought the decals were too clean looking and I wouldn't get them to line up correctly. Before I applied the polar bears/red star decals I used a hobby knife and sandpaper to scratch the back of them to give them a slight wear/chipping affect which I'm happy with. The mud is my usual sand/actual mud/polyfiller/paint solution (Don't think I could copy right that one!!! ha) I liked the outcome apart from the zvezda supplied tracks which are a tight fit and didn't have that typical sag in the middle. The aerial is a piece of plastic clothes tag.  I used poly cement to errode/mottle the turret to enhance that cast turret effect of soviet armour. Lost count of the amount of times I broke the grab rails. 

Please ignore the hat tank riders in the later pics, I shouldn't have stuck them onto the tank, as wasn't really happy with them. 

The finished diorama which this features in is linked HERE

All feedback, thoughts for improvement, tips and tricks welcome!!!

P1020119 P1020111 P1020124 P1020126 P1020125 P1020123 P1020122 P1020121 P1020120 P1020118 P1020116 P1020113 P1020241 P1020224 P1020223 P1020208 P1020207 P1020200 

Edited by Muchmirth
duplicate pic removed.
  • Like 12

Hi Muchmirth,

As the colleague says above, a layer of varnish would help to improve the appearance, especially in the figures, since the clothes, being fabric, would not shine ...
And in the vehicle, if not matte, at least satin, because with light effects it can be seen as metal ...
I have an IS-2 but at 1/35 to publish later, and I did that ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Muchmirth,

As the colleague says above, a layer of varnish would help to improve the appearance, especially in the figures, since the clothes, being fabric, would not shine ...
And in the vehicle, if not matte, at least satin, because with light effects it can be seen as metal ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

One can work the matte to the top, while leaving the wheels atc shiny to get some wet look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Muchmirth,

Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Yes your dead right, it has a kind of wax sheen, something I oddly didn't pick up on myself. Thanks for the tip! I actually did Matt varnish but because I layerred on the gloss coat so thickly for the decals to adhere that it still cane through the thin layer of Matt!!! Nightmare. I'll pick that up for next time though. Looking forwards to see your 1/35 version. Thanks for viewing. 

• Thanks 1

Great subject (what a brute!) and very good job on the white turret band, which looks very realistically worn and chipped.

As mentioned before, a few layers of Matt Cote would enhance the appearance of your beautiful model.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Great subject (what a brute!) and very good job on the white turret band, which looks very realistically worn and chipped.

As mentioned before, a few layers of Matt Cote would enhance the appearance of your beautiful model.

Hey Roman, thank you very much, high praise from you indeed as I've seen lots of your work and think all your models are amazing. Something to aspire to. 

Edited by Muchmirth
Spelling.

17 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Yes your dead right, it has a kind of wax sheen, something I oddly didn't pick up on myself. Thanks for the tip! I actually did Matt varnish but because I layerred on the gloss coat so thickly for the decals to adhere that it still cane through the thin layer of Matt!!! Nightmare. I'll pick that up for next time though. Looking forwards to see your 1/35 version. Thanks for viewing. 

Hi Muchmirth,

For the moment, it will take some time to publish it, but I do have a trio of Soviet armored vehicles from the same period in the forum, and if you have not seen them, I think you can appreciate what I comment / we comment on, they are a T34-85, a SU-100 and a T35 ...
If so, just give me a whistle ... lol
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, Muchmirth said:

The mud is my usual sand/actual mud/polyfiller/paint solution

I use brick dust filed from a fragment of brick, concrete powder swept from the garage floor, talcum powder and, of course actual finely powdered soil from the garden. All stuck on with paint. It gives some variation in the "mud".

Might be worth some experimentation next time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echen said:

I use brick dust filed from a fragment of brick, concrete powder swept from the garage floor, talcum powder and, of course actual finely powdered soil from the garden. All stuck on with paint. It gives some variation in the "mud".

Might be worth some experimentation next time. 

Yeah I used brick dust and ground up rubble for other parts of the diorama. Your right does give a nice variation on textures. I've also used old coffee in some spots. Cheers

43 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

I've also used old coffee in some spots.

Sounds interesting, I'll give it a try.

• Like 1