Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10/R2 ‘Frankenstein’ - 1/72

I had a box of the Revell G-10 for years and when a friend gave me an incomplete AZ Model kit, I said to myself: why not try using it to improve the Revell kit? This is the result. The changes and replacements of the various pieces have been numerous, starting from the cockpit and the fuselage…

… to get to the wings.

The model represents a G-10/R2, of 2./NAGr.14, which operated from Vezprem (Hungary) in April 1945.

The camouflage pattern is in 75/82/76 blue /76 yellowish variant, with various retouches in fuselage; the lower surfaces of the wings are in natural metal. The model, as always, was entirely painted by brush.

Hope you like.
Thanks for viewing
Criticisms and suggestions welcome.
Giampiero Piva

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Impressive build and paintwork. Can I ask how you painted the leading edge? Some form of masking or by eye? Either way it’s come out very nicely. My second question is what paints and thinners did you use? Finally, what technique did you use for the mottling? That’s something I’d really like to be able to do up to your standard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brianj1uk said:

Impressive build and paintwork. Can I ask how you painted the leading edge? Some form of masking or by eye? Either way it’s come out very nicely. My second question is what paints and thinners did you use? Finally, what technique did you use for the mottling? That’s something I’d really like to be able to do up to your standard.

Thank you; the wing leading edges are painted by eye; the paints are generally Vallejo acrylics( + water + one drop of Micro Flat or Micro Gloss) for the cockpit and Humbrol Enamel mixes (thinned with Humbrol Enamel Thinner and/or white petrol) for the other surfaces. The tecnique is explained below.

HTH

Giampiero

TUTORIAL_01 TUTORIAL_02

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Am impressed that you painted the leading edges by eye. They do look good. I’ve always been put off schemes like that as I’ve not figured out a way to replicate them. It’s a pity as there are many differing subjects with similar sorts of demarcation lines. I guess I’ll have to take the plunge and just give it a go. 
Thank you for taking the time to show us your methods and paints used, much appreciated! I think it’s a bit like ice skating - it looks easy until you try it yourself for the first time🤣.

• Like 1

Amazing! Both the effort to improve the base Revell G-10 kit and the (brush!) paintwork are just outstanding! I would have assumed this was airbrushed had you not stated it was done with a brush. The mottling, especially, nice!

Any chance you have training videos of your painting work online? I'd love to see how you achieve such good results!

• Like 1

Amazing degree of detail on the 109 and great craftsmanship with the brush! I have never seen such a convincing result that was not airbrushed.

• Like 1