Beaufighter MkX

Difficult to say, it rather depends on how used the subject you are modelling is meant to be, and I think the photo could be clearer.   Ideally, to my taste. perhaps a little bluer would better match photos of these aircraft and other types in Temperate Sea Scheme.  I think you could claim that the blue sky was distorting the colour in these photos... of course, we are talking about operations from Northern Scotland?

On 08/07/2021 at 21:01, Graham Boak said:

Difficult to say, it rather depends on how used the subject you are modelling is meant to be, and I think the photo could be clearer.   Ideally, to my taste. perhaps a little bluer would better match photos of these aircraft and other types in Temperate Sea Scheme.  I think you could claim that the blue sky was distorting the colour in these photos... of course, we are talking about operations from Northern Scotland?

Sorry to say I am one of those people that only sees plain colours, as Grey is Grey apart from being Light or Dark and something inbetween. I for some reason cannot see different hues within a colour. Anyhow I have now added some Blue to a Dark Sea Grey and painted this as seen below. Any better?

resized_ebac1c67-7560-451b-a67c-0ea802c3

resized_e69f3c52-481f-4608-b806-df3e39bd

• Like 4

That looks rather like RAF Ensign Blue, which is perhaps a bit over-egging it a bit, although I did use an old tin of Airfix RAF Ensign Blue for a Malta Spitfire which might have been faded EDSG.  (Actually, Dark Mediterranean Blue.  Can't win them all.)  For a well-used aircraft, perhaps.  There are photos of TSS aircraft showing something very similar.

Jabba, this particular model build stage is often one where we tend to doubt what we've done and I've been there on all of my recent builds of late. 

When I queried 'the look', other members on here told me to stick with it as the model will look very different with decals applied and masking removed.  

They were all right and I'm glad I just pushed through and finished the model(s) through to the finishing line. Looks great so far. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Not anti-corrosion. The black paint was a flat, stove enamel type of paint that was used to hide the glow of the hot collector ring while flying in low light conditions. It was also used by Bomber Command on bombers that were fitted with Bristol radial engines. White Coastal Command planes with Bristol radials used a white enamel on their rings to help hide the patrolling aircraft.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Masking all removed and just a few touch ups where Black paint had got under the masking where the panel lines are. A few coats of Klear applied and now already for decals. I have also started to make up the torpedo. A question or 2 about the big fin thing at the back of this. Is it fitted one way up as the instructions do not say and what is it for? I have figured that it is for the separation from the carrier aircraft and then detaches once it has hit the water.

resized_029c754c-cff3-4479-a777-2ab5367f

resized_5700e0e7-0278-4858-aafa-0ddf2f7a

resized_dea0e1b9-ae4e-4ee0-970d-1436693e

resized_a0b92dcd-ea41-4d01-afdb-b0a62554

• Like 5

This is the Monoplane Air Tail and it was required to allow dropping the torpedo at faster speeds and greater heights than the old biplanes could manage.  It made the torpedo fly level and enter the water at the right angle.  I presume that there is a right way up and a wrong way, but if the instructions don't mention it then presumably it is modelled without distinguishing this feature.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your answers about the tail fitting for the Torpedo. I will fit it with a slight nose down attitude as shown in the drawings and pictures. All larger decals applied last night, strange how there are none fitted to the underneath of the aircraft.

resized_a2c0a9d9-d6d5-418f-826f-b494d130

resized_eee97a08-c5d3-4613-af27-f644909d

resized_7e71ea83-98c0-4422-a0ee-9f3b1016

• Like 6

Looking fantastic, @Jabba! Great finish and I love how you've done the EDSG - it looks spot on to my eyes for an aircraft that's seen use but isn't worn.

I've got four of these kits in my stash, various boxings for various versions, and although I'm itching to get started I'm also a bit nervous! I only hope I can do as good a job as you!

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you kindly.

A bit of weathering and the matt finish now applied. Hopefully I will be fitting the U/C soon. i do have a question in that what colour is the inside of all the light fitment areas. I personally was thinking Interior Green, but if someone could point me in the right direction I will be very grateful.

resized_ae8973c5-050c-440d-8418-829bb8f1

resized_7c9718a5-2611-4a3a-8e23-2ebf469c

resized_b4171a4d-a291-48fc-b508-97a52776

• Like 3

The navigation lights are the red and green ones. The clear ones at the back of the tips were removed in the later ones. I'm  checking with an expert and will post when I have clarified it. These planes changed a lot over time.