Amazon issue - +++ SORTED +++

Ray S

Hello all, I am trying to order something from Amazon. You would think they would be quite happy about that, wouldn't you?

I open Amazon, log in, and I get a pop up screen which says 'approve the notification sent to ******** (mobile number)'. I check my mobile, there is a message and there is a link. It says tap on the link to confirm. I do not have a smart phone, so cannot tap!

There is a message on the pop up screen which says 'need help? contact customer service' which takes me to a drop down menu, none of which apply, so I choose 'I don't have access to my Two Step verification number' as it is the nearest. It then tells me to check 'Recovery Page' and follow on-screen instructions 'here' where I can alter the 2 stage verification process, and if I click on either, it takes me to the log-in page again and I go through the whole thing again.

I have tried typing in the link through my browser, but no luck.

Can anyone give me a suggestion please? 

Ray the highly confused!

Edited by Ray S
Edited Title

Buy a smart phone Ray. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear but they are an Uber useful tool, not an implement of the devil as they seem to become when paired with teenagers. Most service providers have highly competent "own brands" for relatively little outlay. Other than this, sorry, no idea. :unsure:

Steve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just stop using two-step verification with Amazon. Go to the Amazon site using a browser and in the "Login & Security" section of your account, go to "Two-Step Verification (2SV) Settings" and disable it or remove your phone number.

Dave

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Ray S said:

Hello all, I am trying to order something from Amazon. You would think they would be quite happy about that, wouldn't you?

I open Amazon, log in, and I get a pop up screen which says 'approve the notification sent to ******** (mobile number)'. I check my mobile, there is a message and there is a link. It says tap on the link to confirm. I do not have a smart phone, so cannot tap!

There is a message on the pop up screen which says 'need help? contact customer service' which takes me to a drop down menu, none of which apply, so I choose 'I don't have access to my Two Step verification number' as it is the nearest. It then tells me to check 'Recovery Page' and follow on-screen instructions 'here' where I can alter the 2 stage verification process, and if I click on either, it takes me to the log-in page again and I go through the whole thing again.

I have tried typing in the link through my browser, but no luck.

Can anyone give me a suggestion please? 

Ray the highly confused!

Need more info'...

When you say "log in", do you mean into your account or as verification to continue with your order (if the latter, Dave has given the answer)?

As an aside, to anyone else who uses Amazon, but doesn't have a £1000 super-duper-phone-computer, don't provide a phone number, even if they keep asking you for one (click the 'do it later' each time). That way, the only way they can ask for verification is via your email where they'll send a passcode. Even if you have a super-duper-phone-computer, I'd advice disabling/deleting it from your account as they will sell it on to third parties.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, davecov said:

Just stop using two-step verification with Amazon. Go to the Amazon site using a browser and in the "Login & Security" section of your account, go to "Two-Step Verification (2SV) Settings" and disable it or remove your phone number.

Dave

8 hours ago, Feisty Midget said:

Need more info'...

When you say "log in", do you mean into your account or as verification to continue with your order (if the latter, Dave has given the answer)?

Thanks both for that. I was trying to log into the account and the 2-step verification notice came up, so I cannot get into my account to change the setting! Catch-22 !

I am going to try something else later. and will let you know how I get on.

1 hour ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Before smart phones came out, on my old phones you could use the D pad (the direction select button) to highlight and then click the required link.

I will see if I can do that thanks!

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Buy a smart phone Ray. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear but they are an Uber useful tool, not an implement of the devil as they seem to become when paired with teenagers. Most service providers have highly competent "own brands" for relatively little outlay. Other than this, sorry, no idea. :unsure:

Steve. 

It sounds like I might have to. Another suggestion could have been 'Don't use Amazon!' - I was half expecting that idea to be mentioned, and I am tempted.

Thanks again for the suggestions they hopefully will be useful.

All the best, Ray

• Like 1

I think 2 step verification is just something we will have to get used to - it will be everywhere before long. Some companies are ahead of others, but it will soon be the norm. In some cases I believe it is a requirement of the business insurance.

Although it is a pain, perhaps better to accept it and work out the best way to deal with it rather than ways to work around it.

8 hours ago, Feisty Midget said:

Even if you have a super-duper-phone-computer, I'd advice disabling/deleting it from your account as they will sell it on to third parties.

Is this true? Do you have evidence? I don't believe they can (though I may be wrong). From what I've seen the inverse is the case in so far as sellers on Amazon are complaining can no longer see their customer's phone numbers.

The bottom line is online services are being hammered by all kinds of online naughtiness - and its getting worse at an exponential rate. Simple login/password systems are no longer good enough to ensure your security. Dealing with 2 factor authentication is a lot less hassle than dealing with your credit card being maxed out or your bank account emptied.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

Another issue I have is that yesterday when I was trying to log in to Amazon, my mobile phone lost all signal from my provider I did not give it much thought, it happens. Today after posting just now, I had a 2-bar signal and thought 'right, I will have another go', Did my log-in and got the 2-step authentication message, my mobile was silent, I looked at it and - no signal! It did not even show the provider's name. It is a conspiracy It tell you, aye... Now, 20 minutes later, there is still no signal.

Ray

• Sad 1

Hello all.

I am glad to say that things are now sorted! I found a phone number for them and contacted them and had help from two very nice people. One got me to change the password but ended up still with the 2-step authentication problem, then a very friendly sounding Irish lady was able to get my settings changed from her end of the line. Basically I have now removed my mobile number so should not have the problem again.

I am still thinking of ditching Amazon anyway, the thing I wanted is now on its way - from China! I will see if I can get local even if it s more exensive.

All the best everyone, and thanks again for the suggestions.

Ray

• Like 1

• Ray S changed the title to Amazon issue - +++ SORTED +++

I’m not a fan of 2FA and will decline it if I can but that is becoming increasingly impossible with more and more organisation insisting on it.

When I tell people their response is usually quite condescending, talking down to me explaining what 2FA is.  What they don’t know is that I know fully well what 2FA is, possibly better than them as I design complex IT information systems for a living, often with RSA 2FA, SSO and PKI.

The reason I don’t like it is that I’m not a great mobile phone user.  I have a smart phone, comparatively old (Samsung Galaxy S7) but it does everything needed.  But I’m not one of these people that is obsessed with my mobile phone, I’ll use it to make calls and emails when out and about, and if there is no other option I’ll use it for browsing, but l’m not one of these that has it glued to my hand at all times.  In fact at home it will be put down somewhere.  Doesn’t help that reception isn’t great in my house.

So when I am interrupted by 2FA at home, the first challenge is to find my phone (where did I leave it) and invariably the next job will be to put it on charge because chances are the battery is flat, and then when it has enough charge to do the slow boot up I may need to take it outside to receive the text.

Wherever possible if I must use 2FA I choose email rather than text (because at least I can receive that ob my iPad and PC as well as my phone) but some organisations don’t give you that option.

I do understand that 2FA is more secure but it is often a source of annoyance for me.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, nheather said:

but some organisations don’t give you that option.

Exactly! I'm having a similar problem with a bank right now. I cannot access my account because I'm not receiving the code that they send to me as I don't (or rather didn't) have a mobile (long story). So now I have. You'd think that the problems would be over. Wrong!. Trying to upload my mobile phone number to the bank was a joke. It asked me to write a message, which I did. But when I tried to send it, a box came up in red telling me to attach something to the message. Attach what?? In the end, the only way that I could send the message was to write it out in Office, print it and then scan it as a PDF file, and then attach it. They accepted that. Why the BH do these organisations have to make these things so damned difficult? Now I'm waiting for the bank to send me the code through so that I can access my account. I won't hold my breath.

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

. Why the BH do these organisations have to make these things so damned difficult? .

For security. They know you will persevere to get it sorted, a scammer would not have the time/details/inclination.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

For security. They know you will persevere to get it sorted, a scammer would not have the time/details/inclination.

Correct and it is a good thing even though I am not a fan, but these organisations need to practice what they preach because often their own security policies and procedures are not up to scratch and many have experienced a significant breach where they have lost customers personal data.

The other thing I’m not a fan of, is imposing complex passwords.  At work our laptops are encrypted and we used to be forced to use a generated 16 character password made up of random letters and numbers.  As I predicted, you could guarantee that everyone would have the passcode written down within easy reach, in the front of work diaries, on a piece a paper in the desk drawer and even on a post-it stuck to the monitor.

For best security you need to allow the user pick their own pass phrase, which has complexity but easy to remember.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ckw said:

Is this true? Do you have evidence? I don't believe they can (though I may be wrong). From what I've seen the inverse is the case in so far as sellers on Amazon are complaining can no longer see their customer's phone numbers.

A friend of mine bought a new galaxy phone thingy about three years ago along with getting a new phone number. One of the first things she did was to change the number on the Amazon site. Within two weeks, and without supplying her number to anyone else, she began receiving spam phone calls. There is no proof that Amazon passed on her phone details to anyone, but you know, bit of a coincidence. It may also be a result of a minor hack of course, which Amazon felt they dd not need to inform the public about. Larger data breaches, like the one last year, are a little more difficult to sweep under the carpet. Just saying.

I have never given my phone number to Amazon, and have all my extra checks go to email. I've never had a problem. Having said that, I use Amazon much less than I used to after I heard about how badly their workers are treated, and after they put me on their Amazon Prime without informing me and stealing £70-something from my bank account without my knowledge!! (Yes, I got my money back). I also have an intense dislike of Bezos, but I guess that's a personal thing based on his awful treatment of people and his incredible greed. With such sneaky and possibly illegal tactics, it would not surprise me that Amazon sell on details to third parties.

Edited by Feisty Midget
Correction of terrible spelling

I have bought some books from Amazon, where they advertise FREE postage over a certain sum. When it comes to paying, they invariably add postage.

I promptly look at their other suppliers, who are often cheaper after the postage adjustment. I also double check to to see if copies are on ebay.

The cheapest option with good feedback gets my dosh.

As for spam calls, 2 years back I bought a dual sim 'smartphone' - anything but - from aliexpress,  and had a second simcard from another reputable UK network.

I did not give my second phone number to anyone, but started getting calls. Turns out the numbers are recycled, and the previous person had debts. A number check and block followed. Thing is the debt collectors sell on the numbers they have no luck with. Had calls from 3 different companies so far. One was a known scam merchant.

I never reply, just block them 

41 minutes ago, Feisty Midget said:

A friend of mine bought a new galaxy phone thingy about three years ago along with getting a new phone number.

It seems to me you could equally point the finger at whoever supplied the new phone/number!

Cheers

Colin

5 hours ago, ckw said:

It seems to me you could equally point the finger at whoever supplied the new phone/number!

Cheers

Colin

The phone number of the phone was independent and the card was a pay-as-you-go type, so probably no, but I see where you're coming from. 🙂 As far as I'm aware, the company (Three I think) don't recycle pay-as-you-go numbers, only the ones issued out on contract and only after the contract has been terminated (obviously), but I stand to be corrected on that. Anyway, the calls she was getting were from people trying to sell her something; also a lot of 'silent' calls where there was no-one on the other end. All a bit suspect.

...but you could be right. Either way, it's always best to preserve one's privacy where one can.

Edited by Feisty Midget

On 6/14/2021 at 12:06 AM, Feisty Midget said:

the company [...] don't recycle pay-as-you-go numbers

Actually, they do - after 3-6 months of inactivity (depending on operator) the number is deactivated and goes back in circulation. 
Those resellers that have limited number slots will recycle faster, primary network operators can allow an additional 6 months of dormant numbers before re-issue.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2021 at 11:06 PM, Feisty Midget said:

The phone number of the phone was independent and the card was a pay-as-you-go type, so probably no, but I see where you're coming from. 🙂 As far as I'm aware, the company (Three I think) don't recycle pay-as-you-go numbers, only the ones issued out on contract and only after the contract has been terminated (obviously), but I stand to be corrected on that. Anyway, the calls she was getting were from people trying to sell her something; also a lot of 'silent' calls where there was no-one on the other end. All a bit suspect.

...but you could be right. Either way, it's always best to preserve one's privacy where one can.

Some spammers use the brute force approach of randomised number generators which constantly churn out an endless stream of potentially valid numbers (eg 07XXXXXXXXX for a UK mobile or 0121XXXXXXX for a  Birmingham landline), whenever the automated dialling system makes a connection it's routed through to the call centre. Sometimes it'll do this when all the operators are on other calls, so when you pick up you hear silence.

All this basically means you can still get spam calls even on a brand new number which has never been used previously and which you've never shared with anyone.

Edited by -Ian-
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Actually, they do - after 3-6 months of inactivity (depending on operator) the number is deactivated and goes back in circulation. 
Those resellers that have limited number slots will recycle faster, primary network operators can allow an additional 6 months of dormant numbers before re-issue.

Thanks Alt-22 . I stand corrected. :-)

5 hours ago, -Ian- said:

Some spammers use the brute force approach of randomised number generators which constantly churn out an endless stream of potentially valid numbers (eg 07XXXXXXXXX for a UK mobile or 0121XXXXXXX for a  Birmingham landline), whenever the automated dialling system makes a connection it's routed through to the call centre. Sometimes it'll do this when all the operators are on other calls, so when you pick up you hear silence.

All this basically means you can still get spam calls even on a brand new number which has never been used previously and which you've never shared with anyone.

Something I didn't think of. Thanks for enlightening me. :-)