Caproni Ca 101 D2, 14 Sq. Regia Aeronautica, 1935-36, Italian invasion on Abyssinia. Fly 1/72 (mod.)

Hi,

The first finished (of planned series of three models) Caproni upper wing interwar machines. The build thread within Africa GB (shared with the that for Ca 133) is here:

The third one will be Ca 111, it is already under construction in Anything but Injected GB.

Some comment on subject. This is a 1/72 scale injected kit by Fly. There were two boxes - named "7 cylinders" and  "'9  cylinders" variants. There is also rebox by LF models (still available - which has some xtra resin parts which I do not know). There is some problem with this kit - it in fact it mix up some variants of Ca 101, which has many variants (all 11 incl. prototypes!) equipped with different engines (thus with different noses) resulting in  having different length of fuselage. The one variant (Ca 101 E) had even extended fuselage like Ca 133 and wings (though shorter span then 133, namely 21.24 mm compare to 21.44 of Ca 133). The Ca 101 E was used by Hungary, and this one still a bit tempting me as well as final Ca 148 variant....  The Fly kit is closes I think to Ca 101 Stella, with 7 cylinders Piaggio Stella engines,   By the way, the majority of  Ca 101 variants had wingspan of 19.68 m but three of them has 19.80 m.. All this data I citing form Italian monograph "I monoplani Caproni (ad ala alta) degli anni trenta" by Giorgio Apostolo (Ed.), published by Associazione per la Storia dell'Aviazione, Milano (there is no year of publication in this book but looks lieke perhaps from 1970s or 1980s...). It has also quoted support from Musseo Aeronautico Caproni di Taliedo and AeroFan, so I am sure that it is reliable,  I bought this great book on a secondary market from a widow of a modeller... Thank you and RIP fellow... . 

I realized this nose length problem on almost finished model so I cut it and shortened by some 7 milimeters... 

There are also problems with decals, which mix up 14 and 15 squadrons emblems. I based mostly on LF models instruction ragarding the scheme (with green on fuselage instead of blue). I added also control cables on starboard side. The newer variants of Caproni (Ca 111, Ca 133, Ca 148) has controls cables inside, in a speciall tunnel. I corrected positions of all side windows based on photos. 

This is the result: 

51241962698_50aefac6e6_b.jpg

51241050627_6a92f2823d_b.jpg

51241761111_0973cfd022_b.jpg

51241050817_2437d34609_b.jpg

51242815895_65420da351_b.jpg

51241761366_f5bef893b8_b.jpg

51242529124_0850891415_b.jpg

• Like 43

On 6/12/2021 at 2:52 PM, Zigomar said:

Always great to see such rare birds and models! Cheers

Thank you! Indeed, I also like to see some rarities modelled. Even by myself  ;) 

On 6/12/2021 at 4:40 PM, Roman Schilhart said:

Oh, that's really sweet, Jerzy!

Roman, thanks! The Capronis both 101-148 and 309-316 families have always nice look for me also....

On 6/12/2021 at 6:13 PM, VG 33 said:

Nice and very interesting subject, Jerzy.

Patrick

Patrick, merci! The Caproni kit by Fly is surprisingly rarely build - I do not remember any of them  (maybe I am wrong) yet on RFI...

Regards

J-W

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Hi, Jerzy. Where do you keep finding these not often seen models? Keep them coming, please.

Thanks! Simply I am trying to buy them when they appears... - and here the BM Rumormonger is very helpful ;). Then most of them vanishes from market indeed...

Regards

J-W

I'm no expert, but the Caproni name seems to often imply beautiful and (sometimes) quirky aircraft.

This is definitely a beautiful one to my eyes.

An excellent build and I'm glad you posted it on RFI's.

:clap2::clap2:

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 5:09 AM, kapam said:

I'm no expert, but the Caproni name seems to often imply beautiful and (sometimes) quirky aircraft.

This is definitely a beautiful one to my eyes.

An excellent build and I'm glad you posted it on RFI's.

Italian machines has style. I hope it will be followed soon by next two Capronis (111 and 133). I am thinking also on build of Ca 316 (hydroplan), which will be the last from the family of 309, 311, 314... I like Capronis and also Savoias, the most nice is one still in my stash - the four engined SM 74 (Broplan vacu).

On 6/15/2021 at 7:00 AM, Giampiero Piva said:

Very nice work, Sir; as I'm Italian, I like it very much. Bravo !

Gracie! This year I returned to Italian machines after long break... 

On 6/15/2021 at 11:42 AM, John_W said:

Excellent  as always.  

Thank you! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SilverWings said:

Very nice work!  What color was used for the "Cream" sides?  I am about to start an Italian airliner of that period.

It is Humbrol 41 (what is glossy, so covered then with mat varnish). 

I've heard that Humbrols are difficult to get in US, so maybe it is not a big help... Is it Savoia SM 74 maybe on your target? 

Regards

J-W

On 6/27/2021 at 1:00 AM, JWM said:

It is Humbrol 41 (what is glossy, so covered then with mat varnish). 

I've heard that Humbrols are difficult to get in US, so maybe it is not a big help... Is it Savoia SM 74 maybe on your target? 

Regards

J-W

Thank you.  

Yes, our local hobby store paint selections have changed quite a bit in the last few years. 

The kit will be a modified S.79.

Beautiful work on the Caproni.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 11:02 PM, tonyot said:

Nicely done J-W,.... it hardly looks like a war machine,..... but to a poor Abyssinian it must have been terrifying.

Thank you!  It was a terrifying especially while sprayed mustard gas (i've read about using of Ca 111 for chemical attacks, I do not know  - maybe also Ca 101 was used with chemical weapons). ...

3 hours ago, SilverWings said:

Thank you.  

Yes, our local hobby store paint selections have changed quite a bit in the last few years. 

The kit will be a modified S.79.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Savoia. 

Thank you!

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Beautiful Caproni, excellent build !

Wulfman

Thank you. I hope to follow it with two next Capronis soon...

Regards

J-W