Gloster Javelin FAW.9/9R, 64 Sqn. RAF Tengah, Singapore (maybe) - Airfix 1/48th

You can't say I rushed this one... 😄 It took almost 6 months to complete, but I have to say, I enjoyed every second of buidling and painting this kit.

Before I show the photos, I want to thank @Antti_K for his help, advice and encouragement throughout this build. Unfortunately I wasn't able to live up to the standards of his build, I am not at that level. But all things considered, I am quite pleased. :)

Ok, enough of that. Let's get to the photos. :)

Starting upside down:

IMG-20210612-120505.jpg IMG-20210612-120447.jpg IMG-20210612-120429.jpg IMG-20210612-120400.jpg IMG-20210612-120344.jpg IMG-20210612-120310.jpg IMG-20210612-120251.jpg IMG-20210612-120240.jpg IMG-20210612-120232.jpg IMG-20210612-120204.jpg

Then making her stand on her feet:

IMG-20210612-121132.jpg IMG-20210612-121039.jpg IMG-20210612-121029.jpg IMG-20210612-121009.jpg IMG-20210612-120950.jpg IMG-20210612-120937.jpg IMG-20210612-120859.jpg IMG-20210612-120834.jpg IMG-20210612-120820.jpg IMG-20210612-120726.jpg IMG-20210612-120703.jpg IMG-20210612-120646.jpg IMG-20210612-120637.jpg IMG-20210612-120600.jpg IMG-20210612-120546.jpg

And in the end, adding some interesting and cute details.

IMG-20210612-121708.jpg IMG-20210612-121604.jpg IMG-20210612-121434.jpg IMG-20210612-121315.jpg IMG-20210612-121202.jpg

I am not making any effort to hide my mishaps, on the contrary, I am trying to highlight them. So, in this case, the paint for the undersurfaces was just enough. The problem is that I needed to repaint the horizontal stabiliser, but since I didn't want to wait until a new jar of alcad would arrive, I chose another shade. And it shows. It shows even more where I needed to correct the paint after I had sprayed the camouflage.

Apart from that, you will notice some tiny white spots on the upper surfaces. They are in fact silver. I have no idea at which point they got there, I just looked at the model one day and they showed up. Next time I will mask more carefully. And next time the radome will be more worn. I tried to make it a bit greyish, but I am not happy with the result.

All in all though, it's ok.

Thank you all for your time and interest in my build.

Have a nice weekend.

Best,

Nasos

Here is the WIP-thread.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Nice one, Nasos.......I remember seeing these flying around Singapore in the 1960s when I was a schoolboy living there. 

Great job !

Well Done, Sir ! 

• Thanks 1

@Lord Riot, @SAT69, @Tiger331 and @Dstream

thanks lads. I appreciate your comments and I am glad you like it.

Lord Riot, I've seen your Jag, she's a beauty already and from a much inferior kit. I'm sure it will turn out great.

One thing I've learnt the recent years is to draw inspiration and knowledge from others, but only compare myself to... myself, what I used to be, what I used to know, what I used to do. It makes perfect sense to try to get better than you are/used to be, but it's counterproductive to try to catch others.

At least this is what I tell myself, when I see all the amazing models in here and then I look at my sad efforts. Hahaha! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm now able to see the thumbnails, and from what i can see so far it looks great. I'm already starting to game out building one myself.

-d-

Edited by David H
  • Thanks 1

Hello nasorss,

I'm glad if I could help you along the way. It's nice to see your Javelin completed! You have done an excellent job with the painting. Don't let the stabilizers bother you. Extra points for the moving canopy😉

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

An excellent build philosophy, and one that I share completely.

Be assured, though, that your model IS one of the amazing ones that I aspire to.

Q

Thanks a lot mate, very kind of you. I am really glad that you like it. :)

1 hour ago, David H said:

I'm sure it looks fabulous, but i can't see any of the images. Firefox flagged the site as having some sort of security protocol, and i can't do anything about it.

-d-

I have to like your post for the vote of confidence you gave me. :)

Weird that you can't see the photos, I never knew that imgbb had any issues.

Do you want to try this link? It's a link to the entire album with all the photos of the build:

https://ibb.co/album/hsZJgC

29 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Hello nasorss,

I'm glad if I could help you along the way. It's nice to see your Javelin completed! You have done an excellent job with the painting. Don't let the stabilizers bother you. Extra points for the moving canopy😉

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks a lot Antti. You're very kind, as always. :)

Yeah, it's nice with a movable canopy for a change. Maybe I should lubricate the rails to make the movement easier? :D

• Like 1

Hi Nasos 

that's a very neat build if I may say so. The work is only surpassed by your build philosophy which is 100% correct. Back to the Javelin or “”Dragmaster” I think you can be doubly happy in it’s a model to be proud of and I would be if I matched it when I come to build my one. I say doubly as you have spotted where you might improve - though I should add I hadn’t seen beyond looking at a very nice model - and I bet your next build is that all the better as a result. Thanks for posting and making me feel itchy about a flying triangle that’s in my stash

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nasosrr said:

One thing I've learnt the recent years is to draw inspiration and knowledge from others, but only compare myself to... myself, what I used to be, what I used to know, what I used to do. It makes perfect sense to try to get better than you are/used to be, but it's counterproductive to try to catch others.

At least this is what I tell myself, when I see all the amazing models in here and then I look at my sad efforts. Hahaha! :)

I like very much the way you think. It's sensible and realistic; gives you the room to be able to do what is best for yourself and that's be yourself. I'm proud to know you.

• Thanks 1

Good morning gents.

Wow, I must admit I didn't expect such positive reactions. Thank you all.

11 hours ago, JohnT said:

Hi Nasos 

that's a very neat build if I may say so. The work is only surpassed by your build philosophy which is 100% correct. Back to the Javelin or “”Dragmaster” I think you can be doubly happy in it’s a model to be proud of and I would be if I matched it when I come to build my one. I say doubly as you have spotted where you might improve - though I should add I hadn’t seen beyond looking at a very nice model - and I bet your next build is that all the better as a result. Thanks for posting and making me feel itchy about a flying triangle that’s in my stash

Thanks John.

I thought I might add here, in form of a reminder to myself, that I should probably start painting the large white areas instead of just applying decals. Antti did it in his own build and I knew there was going to be a problem, but I was an idiot and went on with the decals directly. Stupid decision that I regret, but can't do much about now. The problems are mostly visible on the fin.

Apart from that, if you have Airfix's kit in your stash, I strongly recommend you to start building it. It's a very, VERY nice kit. I recently built Tamiya's F-14A, which also is magnificent, but costs almost twice as much as the Javelin. With the exception of the missiles and drop tanks, I can't say that Airfix has done an inferior work. I'd easily build another one, all aluminium this time, if I had somewhere to put it (lack of shelf space). So, go ahead. You'll love it!

11 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Very smart indeed, it is a nice kit to build, just as well as I have 3.

Hahaha. 3 beasts. I would love to see where you display your finished models my friend. :)

Thanks a lot for your comment btw.

10 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I like very much the way you think. It's sensible and realistic; gives you the room to be able to do what is best for yourself and that's be yourself. I'm proud to know you.

Thanks a lot man, you're making me blush. I have struggled with my self-confidence for quite a while (not so much in the modelling sector), but I think I've now landed at a point where I can be content about my life. It helps. :)

3 hours ago, David H said:

This is what i got...

https://ibb.co/album/hsZJgC

-d-

Hey David.

Yes, that's the link. I assume you couldn't open it?

I downloaded Firefox now and opened the page, the photos are visible. I dare say that your problem is elsewhere. Perhaps check your firewall settings?

Now I have to say one more thing.
Plastic modelling is a rather lonely hobby, for sure. But you guys make it feel as if there's a whole company of friends to discuss with. Thank you all for taking the time and comment, not only for your positive comments, which I appreciate of course, but also for the atmosphere and feeling. :)

Have a great Sunday all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much, you're so kind. :)

On 13/06/2021 at 15:39, Sky Keg said:

After seeing this one, I wish this was offered in 72nd scale.  I really like the way it turned out.  Very nice indeed!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks Mike. :) Yeah, this model would probably fit better in my apartment in 1/72 as well. Haha. But I have to admit, holding it while filming it was veeeeery satisfying! (the film is a WIP at the moment)

On 14/06/2021 at 00:02, RMCS said:

Excellent 

😊 You guys make me blush. Thank you.

5 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very nicely done, looks spot on

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

1 hour ago, mackem01 said:

Masterful work.

☺️ Again... :) Thank you.

I am very glad you guys like this model, I was a bit unsure whether the fading effect would look good in the end. :)