Westland Whirlwind Mk.I Updates (for Special Hobby) 1:32

Westland Whirlwind Mk.I Updates (for Special Hobby)

1:32 CMK by Special Hobby

boxtop.jpg

We reviewed Special Hobby’s new large-scale Whirlwind Mk.I recently here, and at the bottom we promised to review the additional aftermarket that Special Hobby and their resin CMK line were producing.  We’re now making good on that promise, as the first sets have arrived.

Whirlwind Mk.I Wheels (5135)

Kit wheels are generally in two halves, which means you have the resultant joins to deal with, possible mould-slip issues on single part wheels, and sometimes less than stellar detail due to the moulding limitations of styrene injection technology, especially in the tread department.  That's where replacement resin wheels come in, with their lack of seamline and superior detail making a compelling argument.  They are also usually available at a reasonable price, and can be an easy introduction to aftermarket and resin handling, as they are usually a drop-in replacement.

This set arrives in a yellow-themed clamshell box with instructions in the rear, and contains three resin wheels, each attached to their casting block at the bottom, on the contact patch.  Removing them should entail a simple saw-cut, with very little additional clean-up required, followed by a wash in warm soapy water to remove any remaining mould-release agent.  Detail is excellent, with Dunlop and the tyre specification written in raised letters on the sidewalls, and strengthening ribs around the inner circumference of the tyre carcass.

5135.jpg

bin.jpg

Westland Whirlwind Mk.I Masks (M32003)

This set is flat-packed with a card insert inside the clear foil bag, and contains a sheet of yellow kabuki tape with brief instructions.  These pre-cut masks supply you with a full set of masks for the canopy, with compound curved handled by using frame hugging masks, while the highly curved gaps are in-filled with either liquid mask or offcuts from the background tape.  In addition, you get a set of hub/tyre masks for the wheels, allowing you to cut the demarcation perfectly with little effort.

m32003.jpg

bin.jpg

Conclusion

It’s a nice kit, and this pair of initial sets makes it even nicer and just a little bit easier by simplifying the masking of the canopy and making up of the wheels.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif