Coastal Command's Battle of Britain pt1 (Blenheim)

I've now selected a Blenheim to represent, and as alluded to above and bearing in mind @tonyot and @Rabbit Leader's advice I've gone with an early Blenheim. As usual, I wanted to capture links to as many events as possible in the one build. 

The aircraft I've chosen is L9463, which was built by Rootes Securities and delivered to the R.A.F. some time between November 1939 and March 1940 ("Royal Air Force Aircraft L1000 to L1999", James J. Halley). I've chosen this aircraft as it was one of the Blenheims on patrol on 8th August 1940 over Convoy Peewit, against which the Luftwaffe mounted three large raids.

This aircraft had a lengthy operational history. It flew at least twice during the Battle of France, both times on reconnaissance operations; 59 Squadron's Operations Record Book (ORB) lists L9463 as "TR-L" twice on these flights. Then references to the serial stop and the ORB lists aircraft only by their letter (e.g. "TR-L").

This is not very helpful as obviously some aircraft are shot down and replaced by a new aircraft with the same code. Even more difficult, some aircraft may be damaged and sent away for repair and returned to the same squadron, and assigned a different code. 

In any case, an aircraft coded "TR-L" is recorded as flying 34 times during the next few months. Flights were consistently spread out over that period, once every couple of days (so it's fairly safe to conclude it's the same aircraft, L9463). These flights include 21 bombing operations on targets including Cherbourg (six times) and the invasion ports attacks in early September 1940 (five times, one of which was a daring day attack on Boulogne). The remainder of the flights consisted of six "Moon" patrols of the English Channel, three patrols of areas coded "SA7" or "SA10" (anyone know what these are?), one reconnaissance of Le Havre - Cherbourg and several other sorties over the Channel searching for survivors.

On 17 October 1940, entries stop with no explanation. We know from loss records that L9463 was lost on 30 November 1940, and 59 Squadron's ORB lists the aircraft as "TR-O" on this date. I suspect that this aircraft was briefly taken out of service (possibly damaged on a non-operational flight, or simply sent for servicing) and given a new squadron letter on its return, as a week after "TR-L" entries stopped, "TR-O" entries appear for the first time. 

This aircraft eventually crashed on takeoff on 30 November 1940. Its pilot, P/O. Christie, was injured, as was Sgt. Taverner, while its third crew member, Sg. Crout, was killed (source: ORB and "RAF Coastal Command Losses Vol.1)" by Ross McNeil).

I'm continuing to research some of the pilots who flew this aircraft and will be sure to add this soon.

Edited by MattG
Updated

Great build of an oft forgotten part of the war.

I’ve planned a similar build of a 235 squadron Blenheim after reading ‘Coastal Dawn’ by Andrew D Bird. I came across an incident which resulted in Blenheim T1804, coded LA-E, was shot down by Hurricanes of 1 (RCAF) squadron, crashing into Bracklesham bay.

T1804 was flown by David Woodger who was already showing signs of the extreme efforts being asked of these young men, but it was the TAG, Sergeant Daniel Wright, that caught my attention.

He grew up a few streets away from my father, in Chasetown, Staffs and although 9 years older than dad, the 2 had probably crossed paths in the small town. After being left in Hammerwich station’s lost luggage room, while his parents scraped together enough money to have it realised, Daniel’s body was buried in St Anne’s church, also in Chasetown, where my dad (and some of his 7 brothers) were choirboys. 

I can highly recommend the book ‘Coastal Dawn’ as a mine of information & well written accounts of the efforts these squadrons made to do what was asked of them.

Edge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 7:11 PM, Edge said:

Great build of an oft forgotten part of the war.

I’ve planned a similar build of a 235 squadron Blenheim after reading ‘Coastal Dawn’ by Andrew D Bird. I came across an incident which resulted in Blenheim T1804, coded LA-E, was shot down by Hurricanes of 1 (RCAF) squadron, crashing into Bracklesham bay.

T1804 was flown by David Woodger who was already showing signs of the extreme efforts being asked of these young men, but it was the TAG, Sergeant Daniel Wright, that caught my attention.

He grew up a few streets away from my father, in Chasetown, Staffs and although 9 years older than dad, the 2 had probably crossed paths in the small town. After being left in Hammerwich station’s lost luggage room, while his parents scraped together enough money to have it realised, Daniel’s body was buried in St Anne’s church, also in Chasetown, where my dad (and some of his 7 brothers) were choirboys. 

I can highly recommend the book ‘Coastal Dawn’ as a mine of information & well written accounts of the efforts these squadrons made to do what was asked of them.

Edge

Thanks for that! I had come across this crew when looking into 235 Squadron a while back so appreciate the back story. I too have Coastal Dawn, and yes it is a good read. There are a couple of others along similar lines but specific to Beauforts - “An Expendable Squadron” by Roy Conyers Nesbit, and “The Last Torpedo Flyers” by Arthur Aldridge. Both are excellent.

Matt

• Like 1