Insignia Yellow on Aleutian Tiger P-40E Spinner?

Polymath

hey Fella's

Can someone advise as to whether the Model Master Insignia yellow (FS 33538) can be used on an Aleutian Tiger P-40E Spinner?

I've seen diagrams and so on, that show it looking more orange. 

Likely it can be mixed to get the right hue?

This is Col. Chennault's plane #49, I'm building an old Minicraft boxing (1/72) with Academy decals...

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff,

Don't know to which photo you were referring, but look at the one I have linked below- looks like insignia yellow to me; how  yellow looks in period color photos, especially those that have been colorized, could be all over the map, depending on film type or camera filter used.

Mike

https://www.facebook.com/jecinci/photos/flying-aleutian-tiger-may-1942us-army-air-force-curtiss-p-40-warhawk-343fg11fs-o/632409696955084/

Considering the isolated location of the Aleutians, far out at the ragged end of the supply chain, my guess is that Insignia Yellow was likely the only yellow paint available.

An orangey yellow could have been locally mixed using a touch of Insignia Red.

On 6/12/2021 at 6:15 PM, Ed Russell said:

It's probably more important to get it to match the decal rather than try for an "exact" colour which may not be correct anyway.

100% agree with Ed's assessment - Get the colour matched to the decal, as often they won't be exact. Seems different decal makers have different "insignia yellow", same for many other colours

Buz

Ditto Ed, except that left=over stocks of USAAC Chrome Yellow might also be had as leftovers, and at budget prices!  I'd just try and match the decal also...

Ed