The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

59 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm thinking that we just use the imported Canvas, to start to draw our own sketch, BUT our betters in the form of @hendie, @Fritag and @TheBaron will likely be able to answer with some authority. I'm also needing to get my head around scaling drawings as well .......... rest assured Bill, you are not alone in your struggle!!!

That's exactly correct. Basically just like tracing something. My preference is to use basic forms such as rectangles and circles to get the outer extremities, then add lines, arcs, etc as necessary to trace the actual shape. You can then trim the unwanted lines away, leaving just the shape of the part, and extrude that to make the piece. 

model T front axle1

Here's the drawing I did for my 1:72 Model T ambulance (see vehicle section). You can see the basic rectangle outlining everything and making sure it's all square. I then added lines just like tracing a drawing, to outline the part.

The ends, top, and bottom of the rectangle were then trimmed off leaving just the part to extrude.

Hope that helps!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, perdu said:

Are you saying that you trace over the image to transfer it into Fusion360?

Not been remarkably successful at that exercise recently. 🤔

Bill, the canvas is imported using "insert" and selecting canvas. It can be scaled at that point. You'll need your "canvas" to be available as a photo, or saved screen snip so you can select it from your computer. After that it's just tracing as detailed above to draw your part on top of the canvas.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

It's just tracing...  

:)

Sshhh! Don't let everyone know how easy it is, you'll spoil it!

Ian

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Sshhh! Don't let everyone know how easy it is, you'll spoil it!

Ian

Except I cant make any of my tracing lines solid to use them :(

Start new component then it all goes to pot....

All my lines stay dotted pinky orangey brown.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, perdu said:

Except I cant make any of my tracing lines solid to use them :(

Start new component then it all goes to pot....

All my lines stay dotted pinky orangey brown.

It's not a new component yet, just a sketch.

You have to click on "create", then  "sketch". It will ask you to select either a face or a plane, select the plane you want, then you will get the sketch menu and can select "rectangle" "circle" "line" or whatever else you need to draw.

After you've drawn everything you need, select "finish sketch". Then select "extrude". That will make a new body. If you want to add to it you need to make sure your second sketch is extruded as "new body" ( you can edit it separately) or "join (you can't!). If you extrude back across the existing body it will default to "cut" giving you a hole instead of adding to the part. Make sure you change the setting to what you need!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Should that give me blue lines?

No matter where I start from I never get the full suite of blue lines that I can extrude with  :(

I know it has to be my handling that causes the problems

It will give you blue lines, but they have to intersect. Any gaps and you will have an incomplete sketch which cannot be extruded. Also make sure all lines are drawn in the same plane. It sometimes looks ok but if you rotate the image you will see that the lines are actually not meeting as the ends are on a different plane.

It took me a while to figure it out, but once you see what is happening it gets a lot easier!

Start by just drawing a rectangle then extrude it to see what it looks like. 

Then draw a rectangle plus a line from, say, corner to corner. Then you should be able to trim one side and extrude the rest.

Helps understand what is going on.

Ian 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here goes, brought the laptop up to the pc

Pc is my door into the web and BM but is not clever enough to handle Fusion the laptop is later architecture which handles Fusion nicely

Now to have another go

• Like 1

Just ensure that the ends of the lines you draw are snapped to the initial rectangle. You should be able to do that with the little blue cross you will use to start and end the lines.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Terry I will take this to the bus build and wipe these off but can I just check, once a drawing is extruded it can no longer be edited.

True statement or my usual load of cobblers?

I have now drawn a fresh version of the seat frame which I want to duplicate and add seat slats across the pair of them.

16564288701991883112403722988159.jpg

I would like to straighten the bottom lines but now I have added depth I cannot trim them out any more, presumably over constrained now?

• Like 1

You can go back and edit the sketch. Along the bottom of your screen you'll see a "progress report" basically. A series of little icons detailing each step you've made. Slide the black marker back until you find the sketch ( the marker will be to the right of the icon/action you want to edit). Details you've added since that point will disappear but don't worry, they're still there. Right click on the icon and select "edit feature" and you can change the sketch, or whatever that feature is. It will also update any work you did after that point which used it as a reference!

That X of the seat legs is a great example of the benefit of starting with a rectangle to ensure straight ends, then adding the diagonal lines and trimming off what you don't need. In other words, the rectangle, or square, would be drawn to each outer point of the legs, then diagonals drawn to add the legs themselves. Finally trim off the edges of the square leaving just the outlines of the legs.

Ian

I'll try to keep making sense, but bear in mind I've been in the pub for the last 4 hours! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An alternative way of doing it (there is usually more than 1 way!) would be to adjust the bottom edge of the legs. I'm assuming you're referring to the rear leg where the base is not parallel to the "ground". You can select "move" (the big black + sign with arrows on it) and then select the lower face of that leg. You will see options for how you want to move the face (make sure you select "face" not "body"). One is rotate, select that, then select the axis you want to rotate around - in this case it would be the line representing either the front or rear edge of the bottom of the leg. Rotate as necessary, then you can "press & pull" to extend the bottom of the corrected leg to the proper length.

Hth!

Ian

Apologies for hijacking the thread Terry, but if you're also finding it useful then all is good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Brandy said:

That X of the seat legs is a great example of the benefit of starting with a rectangle to ensure straight ends, then adding the diagonal lines and trimming off what you don't need. In other words, the rectangle, or square, would be drawn to each outer point of the legs, then diagonals drawn to add the legs themselves. Finally trim off the edges of the square leaving just the outlines of the legs.

I get that (finally?) use the natural constraints in the box shape to get the ends straight.

Now I get it, cheers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

Apologies for hijacking the thread Terry, but if you're also finding it useful then all is good!

Indeed It is helpful stuff Ian, and at this rate I should be able to make at least a dozen old bus seats for the Grunau!

🥳

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Seems to have been a while again, with the most recent chatter on here relating to bus seats (and very useful I must say) rather than glider progress. Thank you @Brandy and @perdu for that interlude!

There are many pathetic excuses reasons for this, all under the general heading of EXCUSES R US............

Firstly many summer time beach days with family, like this one at Shell Bay where we had to construct some significant sandworks, to establish our place on the beach. There were 10 of us that day, a subset of the whole clan which can reach 20 on a good day, possibly 21 depending on youngest son's latest situation re girlfriends.........

Here we see the massive engineering task in mid flow.

IMG20220813114049

This picture contains no less than two sons, one daughter-in-law, three grandchildren, and yours truly's legs. There may be a fourth grandchild buried somewhere in this shot. Other members seemed to be elsewhere!

Then there was a short break in Suffolk (5 days) which one day led me up to the 453rd Bomb Museum at Old Buckenham, and upon meeting Jim and after a hearty breakfast, I  found myself departing with a 1/48 P-51 and a 1/72 B-17. It would seem I have joined THAT club! I can highly recommend a visit as not only is the 453rd Museum fantastic, but Jim has also amassed a vast amount of memorabilia representing the 8th Air Force as a whole, which I understand are intended for a bigger, future 8th Air Force museum at some point. Jim is also a fascinating, very likeable and most knowledgeable chap.

Whilst in Suffolk, I also had a pleasant afternoon sipping beer, talking models and comparing ailments with @Courageous, in an ale house in Bury St. Edmunds.

Back to Dorset and then it was time for a grandchildren and grandad, all boys outing to the Tank Museum.....

IMG20220815120727

IMG20220815115750

Interspersed with all this excitement we also had to deal with the great annual vegetable harvest.

Carrot section seen here.....

IMG20220906170858

And in a shock revelation................

There were actually many and varied modelling projects, including more drones to be eventually displayed on the Target facilities SIG table at Telford (this year we hope).

Two 1/72 BMQ-74 Chuckar, ground or air launched drones, depending on subtype.

IMG20220907132500

Two Ryan KDA-1 Firebee drones, plus a BMQ-34 Firebee and it's partially built trolley. The KDA-1's will join two more already completed. All 1/72 scale.

IMG20220907132650

The rather flashy box art of the bigger drone

IMG20220907132600

Interested parties in these will likely include @general melchett@Martian, @corsaircorp, and @Corsairfoxfouruncle, the last mentioned being Dennis who is doing champion work trying to raise interest in a Target Facilities GB here....

Then by way of a final modelling distraction, a number of 1/35 "Targets" (ground types call them Tanks) that have been constructed to the paint stage during my summer shifts at the Bovington Tank Museum, in my recently acquired capacity as a Volunteer Modeller. Yes work with no pay - retirement is so much fun!

Taking a leaf out of our most admired and learned colleague @Fritag's well thumbed book on how long can things possibly wait to be painted, I now have four of these ready for that bit, two having been that way for quite some time.  To be fair though, those superb Hawks may have reached post primer and top coat stage by the time this is read, if not I suspect they are not far off, and you do put much more into your builds Steve than I can ever dream of doing!

This one is an M24 Chaffee for those that are unaware, being one of the 4 different types built during the summer. The others are an M60 (early model), and two M41's.

This one did actually get primed last night.....

IMG20220907132337

But what of the gliders I hear you all say, after all that's why you came here I reckon.............

So the next in line, the Granau Baby was dusted off.

The box contents leads me to deduce that we seem to have got this far............

IMG20211124183512

A twin kit you may recall, and a decision to turn one into a Prefect, which could end up being a good first test for 3D modelling and printing, but before I take that plunge, the other will be a straight OOB Granau Baby, cos I need a simple aircraft build!

Did I say simple and OOB .......

Rummaging around the bits boxes, I found this set which has to be done I think...

IMG20220907131950

So a bit of etch work first, to get the first cockpit done and start getting this thing together.

More soon I promise!

T.

PS. Note to Stuart (Courageous) - no Vosper in sight (yet)!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see this back up and running, and the summer hols definitely appear to have been a success, which is always a good thing!

If you need any info on modern target drones, message me. A good friend here runs his own company operating target drones!

Ian

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Ah, so good to read this update, Terry - looks like you had some great time during the summer! :thumbsup:

Alright, I'll break out the :popcorn:  and :beer: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. Summer was great but head down for modelling now!

5 hours ago, Brandy said:

Nice to see this back up and running, and the summer hols definitely appear to have been a success, which is always a good thing!

If you need any info on modern target drones, message me. A good friend here runs his own company operating target drones!

Ian

Thanks Ian. I'll take you up on that offer!

Terry

• Like 1