The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

Oooooo good to see this back on Terry and nice job on the tail feathers.   Looking forward to seeing the dayglo go on. 

The Vosper looks good, wouldn't mind getting one of those myself one day.

That's a lovely collection of models in your display, is the Viscount the Airmodel vacform kit? That looks gorgeous. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Nice collection Terry! It looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me to catch up!     :)

Whose kits did you use for the Sea Vixens and Javelins?

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comments @bigbadbadge, @Back in the Saddle, @Courageous, @Navy Bird and @giemme

I should have been clearer in the post. Those are models at the BDAC Museum, not my own. The growing collection I refer to is of my photographs taken at the museum!

If only the models were mine!

Terry

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

If only the models were mine!

Well, if you hadn't told us, they could be!     :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Note to self - add BDAC Museum to bucket list.

• Haha 1

Well spotted on the lateral stripe. It looks as though you also have the fore-aft masking over the dayglo bits instead of the white bits.... (ooo err....)

Ian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Note to self - add BDAC Museum to bucket list.

Well worth a visit Bill, and when you come by this way when you are next over, easily arranged!

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Well spotted on the lateral stripe. It looks as though you also have the fore-aft masking over the dayglo bits instead of the white bits.... (ooo err....)

Ian

Thanks Ian. The picture I posted was probably confusing as I had not completed masking at that point.

The picture below illustrates the areas I plan to paint dayglo (marked on the photo, not the actual model!). Any other white gaps were "yet to be masked" including the whole of the aileron. Also, the outer panel on each wing will have the chord wise masking part removed, as that bit is all dayglo.

IMG20220309080320

Unfortunately I placed the chordwise part down first (in slightly the wrong position) so they all have to come up and start again. That's today's plan.

Hopefully, next time you see it, there will be neat dayglo panels!

Terry

• Like 8

Ah, OK. The photo seems to show a much narrower white band adjacent to the fuselage so it looked like the first piece of tape was where the Day-Glo should be.

Ian

• Like 1

I second @Terry1954’s recommendation of BDAC; growing all the time and some really interesting & unusual aircraft, as you’d expect from the provenance.  Plus it’s my local; if I’m feeling energetic I can walk there from my house!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Much of this afternoon has been spent re-doing the masking and actually getting some paint on!

Pictures tell the best story.......

Wings done....

IMG20220309122900

IMG20220309122913

Precautionary cling film on the rest....

IMG20220309130256

Several very light coats of MRP Luminous Red. An excellent colour from an excellent range of lacquer paints.

First the top...

IMG20220309150144

IMG20220309150427

Undersides...

IMG20220309150435

I like to get the masking off quickly, but tend to let things dry off for about 20 to 30 minutes to avoid any paint spoiling the white as its all removed.

Removing the masking was done very carefully indeed as I wanted to avoid any lifting or other damage, as the model is very fragile!

The debris...........

IMG20220309153630

And then the great reveal............

IMG20220309153636

IMG20220309153644

A few small areas of leakage, and some edges to clean up...........

IMG20220309153709

And a couple of areas along the trailing edges where the white lifted, but easily fixed....

IMG20220309153827

Overall I'm pretty pleased.

IMG20220309153753

Next job after the clean up is to get a coat of gloss varnish over the dayglo to protect it.

More soon.

Terry

• Like 20

16 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Lovely finish on the day-glo paint Terry.👍

And I can't believe I've never seen the 'cling film used to mask large areas' tip before - such a simple but effective idea. I'm stealing that one! 😁

Thanks Matt!

Actually that's the first time I've ever used cling film to mask, and I got the idea from BM somewhere! I was a little concerned as to whether the lacquer paints would somehow seep through the very thin film, so I tested it out first on a piece over some scrap plastic, and found it was ok.

Terry

Great job, Terry! :clap: :clap: 

I use cling film for masking large areas quite often, so I can only vouch for that! 

One more thing coming from my experience, if I may: when I need to mask a long and straight edge, I avoid Tamiya tape or the likes because I always get that sort of rough finish. I use Tamiya tape for curves, instead (of course you need to be more careful with that so as to pose it in a straight line, as it's obviously very bendy). Just my :2c:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely wonderful Terry great job Terry. 

Chris

Thanks Chris, we are getting there.

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Great job, Terry! :clap: :clap: 

I use cling film for masking large areas quite often, so I can only vouch for that! 

One more thing coming from my experience, if I may: when I need to mask a long and straight edge, I avoid Tamiya tape or the likes because I always get that sort of rough finish. I use Tamiya tape for curves, instead (of course you need to be more careful with that so as to pose it in a straight line, as it's obviously very bendy). Just my :2c:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. Yes, your tip re the Tamiya white tape for curves is a good one and I have used it and noticed the better demarcation. The dayglo edges have cleaned up pretty good now, so no visible harm done. I'm having a good think regarding the orange (non dayglo) trim around the nose as I really don't think the decals will curve around neatly. The real challenge on that one is the fine white line within the trim, either side of the Air Cadets lettering. It is sub 0.5mm wide. I do have some 0.4mm tape which might just do the trick. Intricate masking needed for sure and very very light misted coats of orange!

23 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great paint work Terry, looking forward to seeing it at Vikings show next month!

Stay safe              Roger

Thanks Roger. Well, I'm aiming to have it finished in time for the show, so you should get to see it, plus the recently finished Astir.

22 hours ago, Martian said:

That's looking rather special Terry!

Suitably Impressed of Mars 👽

Thank you Martian! Always gratifying to please our resident Alien!

19 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is gorgeous, Terry. You know i’m rather drawn to dayglo! 

Martin

Thanks Martin. I'm a bit of a sucker for dayglo too!

Head down now for some serious masking around the nose!

Terry

• Like 3

On 2/9/2022 at 6:37 PM, Terry1954 said:

Wow, seven weeks have passed without update on the gliders.

On 3/8/2022 at 5:58 PM, Terry1954 said:

It's been a while, mostly due to other projects, but progress has picked up on this one again.

Glad it’s not just me……:whistle:

On 3/9/2022 at 4:30 PM, Terry1954 said:

And then the great reveal............

Ditto what t’others have said about the excellent result from the masking/dayglo.  These MRP paints do seem to work well.  Lacquer did you say?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

These MRP paints do seem to work well.  Lacquer did you say?

They do indeed Steve and I thoroughly recommend them. Yes they Lacquer based acrylic and there is no need to thin them, although you can thin with either MRP thinners or the ubiquitous Mr Colour levelling thinners.

There's a thread here that says it all here......

Airbrush at very low pressure and dust on a couple of coats although some colours seem to go on fine just after the first pass.

I get mine from here, although there are other vendors that sell them https://www.premiumhobbies.co.uk/mrpaint/basics. Interestingly they come in either glass bottles or taller thinner plastic ones. All seem to be the same paint.

Terry

PS Premium Hobbies seem to have dwindling stocks. I've also used these guys https://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/aircraft.html

• Thanks 1

I'm late to the updates, but that only means I got to see the marvelous masking reveal right away, fantastic work Terry!

It's like being patient (or lazy) enough to wait for all the episodes of your favorite streaming show to debut, before binging them all at once.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 7:01 PM, Cookenbacher said:

I'm late to the updates, but that only means I got to see the marvelous masking reveal right away, fantastic work Terry!

It's like being patient (or lazy) enough to wait for all the episodes of your favorite streaming show to debut, before binging them all at once.

Thanks Cookie, always welcome your upbeat comments and I'm flattered that this thread ranks with such epic popularity (OK my words, but it sounds good).

Another two plus weeks has flown past. Work on the Viking has largely consisted of deliberation at this point. The infamous "nose stickers" to be precise. I was dead against trying to use them as is, as my experience in getting decals like this ti conform around compound nose curves, has not been great.

A reminder of what they are like...........

IMG20220208161703

So initially I decided I can mask everything and airbrush the nose and stripy bits, but use the "Air Cadet" lettering on it's own. I've had a couple of attempts at that (just the masking). The main orange stripe is around 0.7mm wide, but the central white stripe is sub 0.3, closer to 0.25. You can get masking tape that thin (I've ordered some) but It all just proved to be too much of a challenge.

So the idea we are going with is to airbrush the nose cone itself and trim the stripe away from the nose part of the decal and use that as is. Paint match looks pretty close, so we are going with that.

Nose and wing tips masked and paint on...........

IMG20220325182042

IMG20220325182046

Pretty pleased with step one of the plan, with a tiny bit of white to tidy up especially in the second picture. The white mini stripe is there as the white stripe of the decal (clear decal actually) intrudes into the nose orange, so that needs to show through. 

IMG20220326114100

IMG20220326114106

Incidentally, the keen eyed will notice I did get round to drilling a small hole right into the nose section at the tip, for the forward cable attachment. The lower fuselage one needs adding, later........

Wingtips looking good also.....

IMG20220326114051

The tail stripe is also supplied as a decal but that should be more straightforward, so that's plan A and if that fails I'll mask and airbrush that. It's a lot simpler with straight lines on a flat surface and a slightly wider white pinstripe (0.4mm) which I have tape for.

A word of caution to myself, to be careful with the paintwork. When I originally had a go at masking the tail before deciding on using the decals there also, a piece of tape, stuck itself to the rear fuselage without me noticing it, and got pulled off rather abruptly, giving us this.......

IMG20220326114120

More repairs to make good.

I'll report back on how the hybrid decal/paint job worked when I've had a go!

Terry

• Like 13

Nice dayglo, will you try try to fade it?

During my Gliding School days the MGSP ( mobile glider servicing party ) used to leave us a roll of dayglo vinyl tape occasionally for small patches and needless to say most of us had dayglo zaps  on our cars.

John

🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1