The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

10 hours ago, Brandy said:

Which one? I'm in Albert's Shed by the Travelodge.

Ian 

Sorry Ian, missed this last night. We were in the bar at the Holiday Inn, where I am staying. Catch up today!

Terry

• Like 1

Well I arrived back from Shropshire a couple of hours ago having had an absolute blast in Telford.🥳

Obvs I love the show itself, but the highlight for me is always meeting old and new friends, many now acquired through this great forum. It was so good to meet and speak with so many, some for the first time, including @Courageous, @LightningBoy,@Martian, @general melchett ( note Andy, I managed to nab an Italeri IL-28 AND a Hasegawa F9F8 Cougar for SIG duties) @Fritag, @Ex-FAAWAFU, @Heather Kay, @AdrianMF, @Brandy (How many modellers does it take to work out a superglue spout has not been opened), @CedB, @tomprobert, @woody37, @81-er and @The Spadgent. And last yet certainly by no means least, a big thank you to Bill @perdu, for your good company through much of the two days, and into the Saturday evening. I do wonder what you did with all those chairs your kept acquiring from the Target Facilities SIG............?

There were many others I met, some BM'ers and some just folk I've got to know through the hobby over the years. Thanks you to all for such a great time.

And I must include the honorary Brits 🇺🇸 🇧🇪, all fully paid up BM'ers who were with us virtually, @Navy Bird, @Cookenbacher@Procopius@corsaircorp and @Corsairfoxfouruncle, I felt your presence everywhere and could almost taste the Belgian beer CC!. You were all sadly missed and much beer was drunk in your honour!

I took a few hundred photos. mostly in the competition area but also a good few of general stuff I saw and liked. You can see them here if you are at all interested.......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjh_photo_world/albums/72177720303679712/page1

Those of you that saw the gliders (six now, and at least as many more to come) all seemed surprised at how small they are "for real". I'm happy to report that all made the journey home, along with about another 30 of my own other models, and a similar number of Martians models, with only one suffering some minor damage in the form of a Sabre losing a mainwheel, which seemed to have lodged itself in the intake of a second Sabre - sloppy manufacturing processes I guess 🤫. I think it happened when I got down into deepest remotest Dorset, negotiating some bumpy conditions close to Corfe Castle. I blame Oliver Cromwell for the road conditions around Corfe Castle 

I'm also happy to report that the Jindivik 1 to 1 scale ventral fin section, also made it back without getting shot down :phew:

I'll close the Grunau Baby double build off with some more pictures of the final detailing I did, in the next day or so, then do a proper RFI.

Next up on the gliders will probably be this one.........

IMG20210611170942

And for anyone interested in the drones that have popped up in this thread now and then, I'll do an RFI for those also.

Thanks

Terry

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

And last yet certainly by no means least, a big thank you to Bill @perdu, for your good company through much of the two days, and into the Saturday evening. I do wonder what you did with all those chairs your kept acquiring from the Target Facilities SIG............?

Bill's a thrifty fellow, you'd be a fool to think when at home he sits on anything but chairs purloined from Scale Model World.

• Haha 5

(How many modellers does it take to work out a superglue spout has not been opened)

More than two, apparently!

I did see Stuart @Courageous but he disappeared before I could say hi. Likewise @jackroadkill who disappeared before the photo take.

As both you and Bill have said, a thoroughly enjoyable weekend!

Great to see new faces and old alike (no Bill, that's not aimed at you!).

Until next time,

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Those of you that saw the gliders (six now, and at least as many more to come) all seemed surprised at how small they are "for real".

I did.  I was.  Exquisite they were.  And all alive too.

F63591D5-033E-4587-8157-C1DD5407C184

• Like 12
  • Haha 9

Great looking gliders that didn't look dead to me. Drones looked rather cool too. Thanks for odd tipple at 1am.

13 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I did see Stuart @Courageous but he disappeared before I could say hi

And I saw you too, unfortunately natured called, then I was hungry and when I passed next, dispersal had occurred. Hopefully next year.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

( note Andy, I managed to nab an Italeri IL-28 AND a Hasegawa F9F8 Cougar for SIG duties) 

Great stuff Terry, both will add flavour to the mix. Never considered the Cougar! Thanks must go to my Swedish pal, Jan who pointed out that the Swedes used Lansens as target tugs too...so, as I have a couple of 1/48th Tarangus beasts lurking in the stash, at least one will headed to the SIG. 

Lovely gliders too, bought back many happy hours floating over the Bedfordshire countryside. 

I also wondered about Bill's chair fetish...every time we bumped into each other he seemed to be clutching one as if his very life (or someone else's) depended on it  :chair:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

And I must include the honorary Brits 🇺🇸 🇧🇪, all fully paid up BM'ers who were with us virtually, @Navy Bird, @Cookenbacher@Procopius@corsaircorp and @Corsairfoxfouruncle, I felt your presence everywhere and could almost taste the Belgian beer CC!. You were all sadly missed and much beer was drunk in your honour!

I was there in spirit along with the rest of that motley crew.     :)

You know, for next year we should set up a Zoom call for those of us who can't attend. Obviously I'm not thinking of having @Terry1954 walk around the entire show and trade area holding his phone up in the air for the whole day. But half a day might be OK...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I was there in spirit along with the rest of that motley crew.     :)

You know, for next year we should set up a Zoom call for those of us who can't attend. Obviously I'm not thinking of having @Terry1954 walk around the entire show and trade area holding his phone up in the air for the whole day. But half a day might be OK...

Cheers,

Bill

We can all chip in for one of those telepresence robots that were all the rage for like ten minutes a few years ago, or maybe pick up a cheap secondhand security robot from a failing tech company and use that.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

We can all chip in for one of those telepresence robots that were all the rage for like ten minutes a few years ago, or maybe pick up a cheap secondhand security robot from a failing tech company and use that.

I can see @Terry1954 using his skills to "kitbash" a PadBot and a Segway. He can zip around the show for us.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 5

It was great to meet you too, Terry, as well as the other BM folks. @Navy Bird @Procopius, it's a fine idea in theory, but it would require there to be something approaching an identifiable amount of mobile or Wi-Fi signal in the TIC, which is apparently somewhat lacking even well into the 3rd decade of the 21st century... 🤣 I think it's probably safe to say it'd be far cheaper to just attend in person that to get the tech to work ;) 

James

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oh How I dream to be there someday

Lets hope you make it Dennis!

13 hours ago, Brandy said:

More than two, apparently!

But through some neat structured analysis of the problem, we got there in the end. Sheer co-ordinated expertise!

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Some cracking photos  there too and the gliders look great.

Thank you Chris!

13 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks must go to my Swedish pal, Jan who pointed out that the Swedes used Lansens as target tugs too...so, as I have a couple of 1/48th Tarangus beasts lurking in the stash, at least one will headed to the SIG. 

Drat! I hadn't realised that either. I have a Tarangus 1/72 that's destined to be a standard line model, so now I'll need to get another one! The SIG would so benefit from one of your Lansen's, I know it!

13 hours ago, general melchett said:

I also wondered about Bill's chair fetish...every time we bumped into each other he seemed to be clutching one as if his very life (or someone else's) depended on it 

On my drive back down yesterday, I had to be re-routed around the M6 Toll route to get around Birmingham, due to a blockage on the M5/M42 southern loop ................Bill @perdu, did they fall off the back of your truck?

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I can see @Terry1954 using his skills to "kitbash" a PadBot and a Segway. He can zip around the show for us. 

All these Techie solutions are leaving me feeling shivering with dread ............... 45 years in an IT career and I now can't stand the stuff 🤢

T.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I had to be re-routed around the M6 Toll route to get around Birmingham, due to a blockage on the M5/M42 southern loop

Managed to avoid that Terry, being stuck anywhere around that area sucks. I did see a message flag up saying debris was reported on the M6 near Brum...perhaps a few chairs fell off the roof of Bill's Mudget! 

• Haha 5

On 11/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, Terry1954 said:

And I must include the honorary Brits

That's an honour indeed!

Ced: What are you two taking pictures of?

PC and Cookie (gazing in wonder at the green English countryside): This!

Glad everyone had a wonderful time, and looking forward seeing everyone again, and looking forward to more gliders Terry!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 12:02 PM, Biggles87 said:

It sounds like you had a great time, I’m very jealous of you all. Maybe I’ll be able to persuade SWMBO that she’ll need a trip to the UK next November.

John

We did indeed John, lets hope you can pull that off. My hotel is booked already!

On 11/19/2022 at 7:34 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Glad everyone had a wonderful time, and looking forward seeing everyone again, and looking forward to more gliders Terry!

Thanks Cookie. We are looking forward to seeing you guys too, whenever that may be.

OK, it's confession time, to those at Telford who saw the two Grunau Baby gliders (along with the others) on display - They were not finished😱  In my desire to ensure they were part of the display at the show, there were two things that didn't get done. The first was a very light oil based pin wash around the flying controls mainly, followed by the application of small drops of Micro Krystal Klear glazing in the two small cockpit vision ports to either side of the forward upper fuselage.

Pale grey pin wash on the French one...

IMG20221202114627

Mid brown tone for the RAf one...

IMG20221202114446

Next the vision ports, on the French example, pre application of Klear.........

IMG20221202114644

And then both, having had the Klear carefully "blobbed" in..........

IMG20221202114502

IMG20221202114850

Both now really are finished, at least to as far as I plan to go! And the shots below show how the Klear has dried, just that!

IMG20221211150636

IMG20221211150623

The RFI for these two can be found here.....

The Slingsby T53 Phoenix is the next glider to be built, but there will be a short break from this WIP while I review some stalled builds including a Vosper MTB that was started just over 4 years ago ....... need to get back on that one and get it over the finish line, although there is still much to do. For those into that, the first 10 or so pages can be found here...

The other reason for a short break is that we are off on a Winter holiday cruise soon (for a couple of weeks), heading up to Norway. My turn for a holiday Steve @Fritag! The plan is to visit Bergen, then cross into the Arctic Circle (Christmas day at sea) to visit Alta in the extreme north, then returning down the coast via Bodo (Aircraft museum a must), Trondheim, and Alesund before heading home in the new year. Not much modelling has happened these last few weeks as we have been busy kitting out with cold weather gear!  Maybe our house sitters will get some modelling in at my bench while we are away!

More in the new year on this one, but watch for other activity elsewhere on here in the the next week or so 😉

T.

• Like 14

Wow, that cruise sounds great. You'll be in excellent territory for stargazing. Naked eye views of the heavens have to be awe-inspiring at those latitudes, if you can get away from the lights!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 7:04 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Nice finishing touches Terry, enjoy the Christmas Cruise, hope you have a great time

Chris

Thanks Chris. Fingers crossed the cruise promises to be a good one!

22 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Wow, that cruise sounds great. You'll be in excellent territory for stargazing. Naked eye views of the heavens have to be awe-inspiring at those latitudes, if you can get away from the lights!

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Bill. Yes given the latitudes we are visiting and the time of year, we should get plenty of dark sky! Appatantly on the days we are in Alta, there is no daylight, just about 4 hours of civil twilight, 4 hours of combined nautical and astronomical twilight and the rest is night, so basicly mostly dark! I think it's a tad chilly up there above 66 degrees north also...... 🤔🥶

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Enjoy your cruiser, Terry! :thumbsup:

I didn't realise how tiny these gliders are! :gobsmacked: Impressive job!  :clap:

Off to the RFI!

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. At Telford, others similarly expressed surprise at how small the gliders are. Need to build something big and fast soon!

T.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, Terry1954 said:

The other reason for a short break is that we are off on a Winter holiday cruise soon (for a couple of weeks), heading up to Norway. My turn for a holiday Steve @Fritag! The plan is to visit Bergen, then cross into the Arctic Circle (Christmas day at sea) to visit Alta in the extreme north, then returning down the coast via Bodo (Aircraft museum a must), Trondheim, and Alesund before heading home in the new year.

Oh well, I guess I mustn’t grumble about folks having holidays :D

Sounds delightful.  I’ve been to Bergen; very nice, very expensive.  Taking your dinner suit for a nice slow foxtrot on christmas day? And maybe quickstep some of the christmas calories away?

• Haha 1