The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Those windscreens look tiny.

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Those windshields are exquisite - very nicely done indeed!

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Your gliders are looking ace, Terry.

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Top job on the windscreens, Terry!

Thanks to each of the members of the miniature windshield appreciation society! I thought you'd like the dayglo one Martin, and Giorgio feel free to use the idea, I probably nicked it from someone else once!

15 minutes ago, perdu said:

Nice transfers but I think I would sellotape the fin one off and try again, its a tad tilted forwards at the top.

I think I have some spare fin flashes if you need some, bound to have.

Well done for spotting my deliberate and shabby error Bill!

IMG20221102111130

IMG20221102111138

Apart from the shoddy application, I am rethinking the size. The only "reference" I have on this one is the colour art from the 1/48 Fly version I found online. On re-examining that, I can see that the fin flashes I used should go right back to the rudder line. This would allow me to use 4mm wide flashes, instead of the 3mm wide ones I did use. 4mm (just a tad over) comes out as 12" flashes, which sounds right also.

So I will take your advice Bill and re-do the flashes. I do still have some 4mm left, so should be OK, but will shout if I need extra (depends if I make a mess of them again!). They may yet get masked off and airbrushed, but time is running short for the big T deadline, and I would like to have these done for that!

Terry

• Like 4

Actually Bill @perdu, or anyone else, I have realised my stock of 1/72 12" roundels (circa 4.25mm dia in 1/72) has expired as far as I can find, so anyone who could help with a couple of those would become hero of the day! They are needed on the fuselage.

Thanks

Terry

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

This shows one being unwrapped...

IMG20221101201617

Seemed to do the job, and we now have two of these, ready to fit at a later stage. I'll need to deal with frame painting at some stage 🙄

IMG20221101201756

Sorcery. 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

This I have but only with 18 inches as smallest

I have similar Bill, but all missing any 12". Thank you for checking!

Good news. I have just been on the Martian communications network with @Martian and he may be able to help me out' Popping around there later to have a look. He lives but an earthlings short distance across the water from here!

25 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Sorcery. 

The wisdom of age Edward!

Terry

• Like 3

Well the tail fin has had the first poor attempt removed, using Bill's recommended technique, and newer, better sized (12") fin flashes are on, and settling in their decal setting solution. No pics of that yet, but I had some spare cycles to sort these two under fuselage skids, ready for paint.....

IMG20221102153033

The Brengun etch editions look the part I think.

More soon

Terry

• Like 10

A little more progress today.................

On 11/2/2022 at 4:24 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Hope you can get the roundels sorted Terry, those etched parts on the skids look tiny too. Great work. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. I did in fact get the roundels sorted after a visit to @Martians place to collect an array of models for onward transition to Telford. After a few minutes rummaging through his decal collection, the two 12" roundels appeared, along with a few other spares, plus a nostalgic sheet of Almark RAF type D roundels. A big thank you to our alien colleague!

And here are said roundels in place on the fuselage ................

IMG20221105143046

IMG20221105142957

And I hope Bill @perdu will notice the corrected (replaced) fin flashes. Much better I think.

IMG20221105142949

Serials were all courtesy of various Model decal and Extra decal sheets.

IMG20221105143015

So this one, plus the French version (and of course numerous drones) were all given a job lot of MRP Super Clear gloss varnish

IMG20221105161130

The French Grunau still needs its nose numbers applied, but some remedial work was needed where they sit as I noticed some surface blemishes which needed rubbing down, re painting and re varnishing. The numbers will go on tomorrow during a massive drone decaling session!

And a parting shot of one of the drones on its trolley which was constructed from some beautiful etch and resin parts in that particular kit.

IMG20221105112333

And yesterday also brought a  pleasant surprise through the post, in the form of a very nice package from Tony @TheBaron. No prizes for guessing what the contents are! I'm about to take a proper look at it this evening Tony, now that I've reached a break point in pre Telford prep!

More soon.

Terry

• Like 16

37 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

And yesterday also brought a  pleasant surprise through the post, in the form of a very nice package from Tony @TheBaron. No prizes for guessing what the contents are! I'm about to take a proper look at it this evening Tony

No doubt a nautical flavour to your resin sandwich tonight Terry bach.

Yes indeed as you correctly surmise, bigger is undoubtedy better.

• Like 1

Fin flashes looking definitely better, Terry! :thumbsup:

I too am waiting for a package coming from Tony's :tasty:  It's just gonna take longer, seeing it has to cross the sea and half of Europe (not to mention  the Italian Mail Service disruption....)

Ciao 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Serials were all courtesy of various .....and Extra decal sheets.

Phew, glad they worked Terry, after opening my big gob saying I'd never had problems with them I'm currently having a nightmare trying to use them on an Airfix Lightning! I've realised I've not used them on a NMF before and they just won't stick. I always otherwise use them with the 'puddle of klear' method but didn't want to lose the metal shine. But I'm going to have to give it a final clearcoat otherwise I'm afraid all the decals will fall off in a week...!! 🤣

Everything's looking good!

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/5/2022 at 5:02 PM, bigbadbadge said:

All looking good Terry,  glad you got the decals you needed. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. Martian is a star!

On 11/5/2022 at 5:22 PM, perdu said:

No doubt a nautical flavour to your resin sandwich tonight Terry bach.

Indeed Bill, a beautiful FAW 1 3D resin kit!

On 11/5/2022 at 5:22 PM, perdu said:

Yes indeed as you correctly surmise, bigger is undoubtedy better.

I agree, and thanks for the spot! You can judge how much better yourself over the weekend. 😁

On 11/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, keefr22 said:

Phew, glad they worked Terry, after opening my big gob saying I'd never had problems with them I'm currently having a nightmare trying to use them on an Airfix Lightning! I've realised I've not used them on a NMF before and they just won't stick. I always otherwise use them with the 'puddle of klear' method but didn't want to lose the metal shine. But I'm going to have to give it a final clearcoat otherwise I'm afraid all the decals will fall off in a week...!! 🤣

Everything's looking good!

Keith

Yes, they worked fine this time at least.

So much modelling has been done on various projects these last few days, but the gliders are there really. 

Front codes onto the French Baby, skids as well in this picture ......

IMG20221107210151

Then finally masking out of cockpit and some touching up, plus a wind shield....

IMG20221108215802

IMG20221108215718

And on the British Baby, we have windshield also......

IMG20221108215902

They are just about ready for an RFI, but needs must ..................... Telford packing was done today as I head off up there in the morning. So I will RFI them when I'm back next week, and if anyone cares to glimpse them at Telford, they will be on the Wessex IPMS stand, ala Poole Scale Modellers. I'll also be lurking on the Poole Viking stand as we are parked adjacent!

Here they are, sharing the box with a few Target Drones. The latter will be displayed on the Target Facilities SIG, very close to Wessex IPMS.

IMG20221110150338

I'll also do a separate RFI showing all the drones built so far.

More gliders soon, meanwhile, hope to see as many of you as possible at Telford.

Terry

• Like 17

Hell of a lovely display there in the box even Terry, I'll see you tomorrow.

Oh I do hope you aren't only expecting friction to keep them separate in there, 'cos it won't.

(Separate tee shirt inspection available upon application)

:(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Oh I do hope you aren't only expecting friction to keep them separate in there, 'cos it won't.

Cocktail sticks!

A brief reply cos I'm in the bar!!

T.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks Chris. Martian is a star!

Indeed Bill, a beautiful FAW 1 3D resin kit!

I agree, and thanks for the spot! You can judge how much better yourself over the weekend. 😁

Yes, they worked fine this time at least.

So much modelling has been done on various projects these last few days, but the gliders are there really. 

Front codes onto the French Baby, skids as well in this picture ......

IMG20221107210151

Then finally masking out of cockpit and some touching up, plus a wind shield....

IMG20221108215802

IMG20221108215718

And on the British Baby, we have windshield also......

IMG20221108215902

They are just about ready for an RFI, but needs must ..................... Telford packing was done today as I head off up there in the morning. So I will RFI them when I'm back next week, and if anyone cares to glimpse them at Telford, they will be on the Wessex IPMS stand, ala Poole Scale Modellers. I'll also be lurking on the Poole Viking stand as we are parked adjacent!

Here they are, sharing the box with a few Target Drones. The latter will be displayed on the Target Facilities SIG, very close to Wessex IPMS.

IMG20221110150338

I'll also do a separate RFI showing all the drones built so far.

More gliders soon, meanwhile, hope to see as many of you as possible at Telford.

Terry

That is a box of models I wish I had.... still looking for a Viking kit, seems impossible to find

• Like 1