The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

... I would like to know if anyone else has used MM thinners?

Yup. Same mess you had. I binned all of it and swore them off for the rest of my terrestrial days.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 3

Belated catch up Terry, frantically trying to notify everyone on my emails that my sky.com dies on Halloween when I stop paying a huge amount every month for mediocre television*

You have just reminded me I need to get up to Vesey's for some of that Revell paint, wow the Baby selection is coming along apace.

Brilliant.

Only a couple of weeks now

*if you know me and don't have the new email bung me a PM if you like.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 5:07 PM, Fritag said:

Certainly do.

Good day in the paint shop there, Terry.

Thanks Steve, yes it was a good day for paint. Much got covered in it .......... in a good way. 😁

Thanks to @giemme, @Navy Bird and @Cookenbacher for your unanimous confirmation that Mission Models thinners can be challenging. The paint seems ok with water though 🤔

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Belated catch up Terry, frantically trying to notify everyone on my emails that my sky.com dies on Halloween when I stop paying a huge amount every month for mediocre television*

You have just reminded me I need to get up to Vesey's for some of that Revell paint, wow the Baby selection is coming along apace.

Brilliant.

Only a couple of weeks now

*if you know me and don't have the new email bung me a PM if you like.

Thanks Bill. Thanks to Steve, I can recommend the Revell paint muchly. Only a couple of weeks indeed, and much to finish for that great event in the north ................. all relative cos it seems quite north to me and it takes me endless hours to drive there!

Lots of masking last evening and again today, for glider Francais, and numerous drones. I figured a batch spray effort of red and dayglo would be sort of efficient.

Pour le petit planeur français ....... we needed to ensure the French roundel that half covers the dayglo, will look uniform so a disk white is required to remain. This one is courtesy of the excellent HIQ circle masks that I first discovered in my 2019 visit to Japan. Examples here https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/hiq-circle-masks I can thoroughly recomend these, and they come in a vast variety of sizes as you can see, grouped into sets.

In place........

IMG20221027182858

The basic dayglo areas masked off....

IMG20221028140744

And the paranoid full proofing method using cling film. You can just see the circle mask here...

IMG20221028144725

IMG20221028144718

Nothing got broken in the cover up, but the great reveal will need very careful undoing 😬

Dayglo tonight, plus some red on these pilotless craft of the air....

IMG20221027104847

And for the British machine, I seem to be short of some post war style black 24" serials for the underwing. Any of the following are in scope:

VD168

VD172

VD181

VD204

VD209

VD215

VD222

Modeldecal sheets 33 and 35 are the obvious source, but I have neither at the moment and have struggled to find any online.

If anyone could help with any of the above individual serials in 24 " I'd be VERY grateful. I'm covered for the smaller fuselage roundels thankfully.

More soon

Terry

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks to @giemme, @Navy Bird and @Cookenbacher for your unanimous confirmation that Mission Models thinners can be challenging.

I don't want anyone to think I want to denigrate their product. Some folks in my local club like it quite a lot. For me, though, why should I struggle with something new, especially when the Hints and FAQs page on their website has several screens of issues you may encounter (and how to deal with them). I scrolled through all of that and thought "yikes." Seemed like a lot of things that I don't have to worry about with my "go-to" brands of Mr. Color, Mr. Hobby, Colourcoats, and MRP. I think painting is something I'm actually pretty good at, so I didn't see any big need to change, but I tried Mission Models at the time because there was a lot of positive vibes when the line was first introduced. But it didn't work for me and how I do things. That doesn't mean it won't work for others. I may be the oddball here (ask my wife!). I never had any much luck with Polly S or Model Master either. The latter would probably surprise every other Yankee modeller. I wasn't in mourning when Testors pulled the plug.

Anyway, on with the gliders! Day-glo paint, what could be better? And drones! Woo-hoo!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Modeldecal sheets 33 and 35 are the obvious source

Terry, Hannants have replaced most of the generic Modeldecal sheets with Xtradecals - I think sheet X72065 is what you need and they have it in stock;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72065?result-token=YXWvv

I know some have apparently had problems with xtradecals in Steve's Hawk thread but touch wood I find them fine, and much thinner than modeldecals.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was heavily invested in MM paints at one point, to the tune of more than 2-3 dozen bottles. Skipping through the long, sad story part, I'm now using Vallejo paints and I'm thrilled with them.

The MM paints are packed up in a box stored in a deep dark recess of a closet somewhere.

Your glider line-up is very cool, I was a glider pilot at one point, loved it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Anyway, on with the gliders! Day-glo paint, what could be better? And drones! Woo-hoo!

Well this update should keep you happy!

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Terry, Hannants have replaced most of the generic Modeldecal sheets with Xtradecals - I think sheet X72065 is what you need and they have it in stock;

Thanks Keith, I'll be ordering some of those for sure. I think even Xtradecal will be fine on these gliders, no vortex generators to cover!

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice progress Terry, beige looking good and looking forward to seeing the French one get the day glo sections. 

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris. French one coming up........

Another interest observation re MM from @Allan31 thanks. Glad you like the line up and great to have another glider pilot on the thread!

So I had a mammoth airbrushing session earlier using red for the drones and lastly dayglo for the Baby, the post paint view here....

IMG20221028181011

It took me some considerable time to remove the masking from the French Baby, given the delicacy of the whole airframe and especially those minute struts. 

And Tony @TheBarons point regarding my use of plastic card instead of the etch aileron control horns was proved to be sound at this stage as there was no way the brass versions would have taken the wing masking without damage. The picture above shows the position on the beige Baby, relative to the masking on the one behind it. Phew!

The result....

IMG20221028190017

In this next shot you will see there was some bleed of the dayglo, but miraculously it is on that tiny plug masking the hole for the vision port. Amazing none reached the aircraft itself. Lucky or what!

IMG20221028185956

Pretty pleased with the area for the roundel backing

IMG20221028190032

IMG20221028190100

And quite pleased with the nose, except this shot reveals some tidying needed on the white ahead of the cockpit

IMG20221028190040

And as you can see, the drones are all happy.....

IMG20221028190312

IMG20221028190213

Need to seal the French Granau next, as it and its British twin will need some stickering.

More soon.

Terry

• Like 12

Great masking and airbrushing Terry! Which red did you use for the drones? Looks great!

Quick question - why put the aileron control horns on now, especially if you plan to mask over it? I always leave that kind of stuff off until the model is basically finished. A dab of Gator Grip will stick the PE horn on and once that's dry it's easy to paint with one of those 6 billion zero brushes that have two hairs on it.    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excellent masking and painting job, Terry!  :worthy:  :clap:  :clap:

I'm with @Navy Bird regarding the minuscule PE parts and adding them only at the end of the build; having said that, your solution looks the part too :thumbsup:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Great masking and airbrushing Terry!

Seconded.

15 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks Keith, I'll be ordering some of those for sure. I think even Xtradecal will be fine on these gliders, no vortex generators to cover!

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

VD168

VD172

VD181

VD204

VD209

VD215

VD222

If you need all of these codes I don't think one sheet of X72065 will give you enough of everything Terry.  I'm thinking of the number of V's and D's and 2's you'll need.  A belated thorough search has revealed I've got a part-used X72065 and so if you find yourself short of one or two letters or numbers just let me know and I'll see if I've got em and if so I'll send em.

Other than the roundels over the panel line and VG problem I've actually had no further issues with my Xtradecals - so I'm happier with em than I thought I was going to be.  If you see what I mean.  In particular no silvering (fingers crossed as not finished)and the carrier film is basically invisible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'RAF denies budget cuts have affected the Red Arrows'....

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Aside from posting the reddest photograph ever to appear on Britmodeller, the quality of paint and mask work in your latest post is quite simply phenomenal Terry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

A rest from paint today while I ventured afar to pick up Mrs T who has been away.........

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Some tidy masking work there Terry giving some very nicely painted models - very impressed with the roundel backing semi-circle!

Thanks Keith. Let's wait to see if the roundels actually fit!

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Great masking and airbrushing Terry! Which red did you use for the drones? Looks great!

Quick question - why put the aileron control horns on now, especially if you plan to mask over it? I always leave that kind of stuff off until the model is basically finished. A dab of Gator Grip will stick the PE horn on and once that's dry it's easy to paint with one of those 6 billion zero brushes that have two hairs on it.    :drunk:

Thank you Bill. The red I'm using on the drones is Tamiya Lacquer LP-50 Bright Red. Sprays beautifully. And for the record, the Dayglo is Mr Colour 171 Fluorescent Red. First time I've used that particular Dayglo, and again, it's beautiful paint. All the Lacquers I've used so far seem pretty top notch.

I could have gone down that route for the etch control horns, but preferred the small plastic horns, as they have proved pretty solid and appear more "integral to the upper wing. Some of the Brengun etch, although fine, looks a tad OTT I thought. However, later in the build I will use their rudder control horns ( or my own replacement) as they need to be accompanied by control wires, running back into the fuselage. No other way of achieving that till the end of the build. Like what I did on my T21 build a couple of years back....

20190301_200357

I need to trim that cable off the back of the horn!

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Cling film masking! Why didn’t I think of that?

Well I'm also the household chef, so that came naturally!

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Excellent masking and painting job, Terry! 

Thanks Giorgio, always full of praise!

9 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great looking finishes there Terry, looking forward to seeing them sometime!

Thanks Roger. If you are at Telford (and it gets finished) you will see it, failing that maybe Middle Wallop the week after?

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

Seconded.

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

If you need all of these codes

Thanks Steve, very generous in both regards.

I didn't make myself very clear though I'm afraid, and perhaps misled folk. I only need one set of those serials! So Two V's and two D's, and two of each of any of those serial suffixes, so for example if it was VD204, two each of the 2's, 0's 4's. I listed them all to see what folk might have available, as I'm not fussy about which airframe!

So I have now ordered a set of X72065 from big H, so fingers crossed they get here in time, but thanks again! 

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Aside from posting the reddest photograph ever to appear on Britmodeller, the quality of paint and mask work in your latest post is quite simply phenomenal Terry.

Thanks Tony! 

No pictures tonight as Mrs T and I are catching up after her return, and we have already hit the red wine!

More soon

Terry

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:44 PM, Courageous said:

Good clean work there Terry.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, glad you approve!

Distractions from modelling are plentiful down the road in Swanage. For those interested in such things, this week we have had a visit from The Flying Scotsman on our Heritage Railway....

IMG20221029114327

IMG20221029114300

IMG20221029114024

This beautiful beast has been chugging up and down our valley between Corfe Castle and Swanage all last week. A wonder sight to behold, and a sound of days gone by.

Meanwhile, back on the gliders....................

Decals have started to be applied, courtesy ModeldecaL generic sheets for the French Airforce and the RAF, roundels in both cases.

IMG20221101202310

IMG20221101202243

Pleased with the French roundel alignment with the masked dayglo....

IMG20221101205124

The decals I used on the fin of the RAF machine were a bit flaky, so will need some touching up in the red areas.....

IMG20221101205154

The AZ kits for the Baby give you a small acetate sheet for the windshields. Four in total, two shown here after removing the two I'm using.....

IMG20221101204851

These need to be cut out and bent into shape.

I wrapped the two I removed around the neck of a small file and taped them tightly in place, then dipped the handle in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then straight under the cold tap.

This shows one being unwrapped...

IMG20221101201617

Seemed to do the job, and we now have two of these, ready to fit at a later stage. I'll need to deal with frame painting at some stage 🙄

IMG20221101201756

The drones, drone on being variously masked and painted bit by bit. A fiddly bunch for sure. More pics of those later. and more on the gliders soon.

Terry

• Like 17

On 10/28/2022 at 8:02 PM, Allan31 said:

The MM paints are packed up in a box stored in a deep dark recess of a closet somewhere.

My standard for dayglo :). I have about half a dozen bottles in the paint stash, both Red and Orange.

Your gliders are looking ace, Terry. Naturally I am drawn to the dayglo one, though ;)

Martin

• Thanks 1