The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

A great insight in to your world, Terry. It’s wonderful to see your grandchildren (known as the Ninjas in our family) getting stuck in :). Those ales with Stuart sound very nice :)

Martin

• Thanks 1

Waoww Terry !!

It look like my page :rofl2::rofl2:

good job that man !!

How many started kit do you have ???

I hope that Stuart got you in this pub where rocket fuel is available ??

Nice family shots too !!

sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Just add my thoughts that’s it’s good to have you back Terry.

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Hawks may have reached post primer and top coat stage by the time this is read

Top coat?  :hmmm:Good natured optimism unsupported by the evidence of the past  - or cutting irony bordering on satire…. which suites you best Terry? :D

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Haha 6

Good to see you had a blast over the summer months Terry, looks like the entourage enjoyed themselves too.

Nice work on the Firebees, they'll certainly add a further splash of colour to the table, come SMW. 

Interested parties in these will likely include general melchett, Martian, corsaircorp, and Corsairfoxfouruncle, the last mentioned being Dennis who is doing champion work trying to raise interest in a Target Facilities GB here....

What a bunch of reprobates, (worse even than our Bomber Command SIG mob and that's saying something)....not sure how the table will fair under the weight of CCs binbag stash of rocket fuel, the mere presence of Martian and his appendages and my big feathery hat, probably the first and last time we'll be invited! Great to hear Dennis is waving the flag for the SIG, good man. On our recent visit to Newark, Martian was drooling all over their Jindivik (a disgusting sight and not for the faint of heart) so I think we know where that's headed. I have my selection up and running, (Amodel's Yak-25RV-1 Mandrake unmanned target drone with fancy markings) which I may post here, depending on time as Melchett Towers currently resembles the Somme, complete with water filled shell craters  and shell-shocked troops with re-roofing, garden and driveway work underway simultaneously......and I'm having to keep the chaps in check (no easy thing as keeping them away from the winery is a major issue). 

I'm glad you enjoyed Old Buckenham's ambience, Jim's done a great job on the museum and is a mine of information.... a few of us intend to return with more goodies for him in the future.

Hawks may have reached post primer and top coat stage by the time this is read

Now, as Steve points out, that is blind optimism....have you been at the Bismuth again Terry?

• Haha 5

On 9/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, Terry1954 said:

pleasant afternoon sipping beer, talking models and comparing ailments

It had to be done and let's not forget that also left with another model that was recently acquired from my LMS.

By the looks of it, your grandchildren are putting the weight to make that track sag! And let's not talk about  those pathetic looking carrots.

Glad to see some movement on the modelling front, no matter what genre it is.

Stuart

• Haha 2

Wow, what a warm set of welcome backs!

On 9/7/2022 at 8:41 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see this back Terry, a busy fun packed summer too.  

Volunteer Modeller sounds interesting too.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Volunteer modelling is a blast, and indeed, I did more of it today (sort of) at the SW show at Bovington.

On 9/7/2022 at 8:43 PM, RidgeRunner said:

A great insight in to your world, Terry. It’s wonderful to see your grandchildren (known as the Ninjas in our family) getting stuck in :). Those ales with Stuart sound very nice :)

Martin

Thanks Martin. The grandchildren are much fun, and I can understand the reference to Ninjas! The ales were good, and as Stuart has reminded me, I did purchase another Mustang at his LMS - a 1/72 Arma Hobby P-51C Mk III, which is quite superb.

On 9/7/2022 at 9:43 PM, corsaircorp said:

Waoww Terry !!

It look like my page :rofl2::rofl2:

good job that man !!

How many started kit do you have ???

I hope that Stuart got you in this pub where rocket fuel is available ??

🤣🤣 I hope you don't have some sort of copyright on your page or I may need a lawyer, and as to the question of how many started kits I have, I cannot answer that as it may incriminate me! Stuart and I had intended to meet at the new Belgian Beer bar, but upon arrival, it was closed, so we went to a nearby traditional english pub. 

On 9/7/2022 at 9:43 PM, corsaircorp said:

Nice family shots too !!

Thanks. I only post the nice shots!

On 9/8/2022 at 6:45 AM, Biggles87 said:

Good to see you back Terry, looks like you had a great summer.

John. 🇺🇦

Thanks John, I did indeed have a great summer!

On 9/8/2022 at 7:02 AM, Fritag said:

Just add my thoughts that’s it’s good to have you back Terry.

Thank you Steve, it all feels like I was actually missed!

On 9/8/2022 at 7:02 AM, Fritag said:

Top coat?  :hmmm:Good natured optimism unsupported by the evidence of the past  - or cutting irony bordering on satire…. which suites you best Terry? 

Well I guess I'd like to think it's the former ......... 🤔 ......  but as the General points out also, perhaps it's just blind optimism, and I've been nowhere near the Bismuth!

As for me being capable of cutting irony and satire, I don't even remember those being taught at big school 🤨

On 9/9/2022 at 11:29 AM, general melchett said:

Good to see you had a blast over the summer months Terry, looks like the entourage enjoyed themselves too.

Nice work on the Firebees, they'll certainly add a further splash of colour to the table, come SMW. 

I did indeed have a blast over summer thank you Andy. The Firebees are actually in addition to two which are already complete, so I think there should be some colour at Telford at least, even if they are very very small, and if Martian's Jindivik drooling is a sign, maybe we will see one at Telford as well. Your YAK-25RV-1 Mandrake sounds like some sort of lathe tool, so that will certainly be an interesting sight on the table. Incidentally, does Baldrick count as an unsophisticated form of Target?

What a bunch of reprobates, (worse even than our Bomber Command SIG mob and that's saying something)..

Well perhaps they are reprobates as you say, but they mean well, and I do feel so at home with them and as you well know I'm sure, you just can't get the staff these days!

Jim's done a great job on the museum and is a mine of information.... a few of us intend to return with more goodies for him in the future.

He has done a marvellous job. I'm waiting on him sending on his chosen decals for the P-51 and the B-17, but I've started to research both units. I'll keep an eye out for others progress on other goodies. I imagine I could be heading back there with one of the models, sometimes next summer. There's that blind optimism again!

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

It had to be done and let's not forget that also left with another model that was recently acquired from my LMS.

By the looks of it, your grandchildren are putting the weight to make that track sag! And let's not talk about  those pathetic looking carrots.

Glad to see some movement on the modelling front, no matter what genre it is.

Stuart

Ah yes, the Arma Hobby Mustang! A very nice acquisition and a very well stocked LMS you have. As for the grandchildren weighing down that Hunting Tiger's track, it is a great photo opportunity for pics like this, as it's already sagging to the extent you can see (from its own weight). Their combined weight had no visible impact on that!

No modelling today, as it was the SW show, and a good show it was, but I did attempt some etched brass work yesterday and some other bits pf prep.............

Much dependance on the airbrush this year, made me curious to try some hairy stick work on the I/P's. That's the green. The lower right shows the printed panels (you get two of each type in the set) with a coat of white on the back, to highlight the dials on the bezels themselves. Jury is out on all this ........

IMG20220909221324

One of the seats is seen after wrestling with both sets of straps (they are very small and I lost one strap to the ether). The problem with the seats is that they seem concave at the rear, probably to contain a parachute? This makes the straps look a bit wanting......

IMG20220909221524

Probably better than this though, once painted up

IMG20220909221529

Need to have a good think about both seats/straps combo.

In my eagerness to see progress, masking tape and milliput are my friends..........

IMG20220909221551

A comparative shot showing the Baby to be around the size of the good old T31, perhaps a tad smaller.

IMG20220909221811

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome back!

More soon.

T.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Incidentally, does Baldrick count as an unsophisticated form of Target?

Funnily enough this was mooted by Darling during a recent regimental conference on pre-Raphaelite table stacking and chair arranging and its effects on modern trench warfare. As a means of identifying the enemies positions, he suggested strapping Baldrick to a small luminous weather balloon, painting a bullseye on his posterior and letting him go somewhere over the Somme frontline....oddly, we still haven't heard back from him. 

Great job on the gliders, love the T31, brings back ATC memories of floating/wobbling around the skies of Henlow, in our T-21s and Cadet TX.3s back in the early seventies. I can still hear my instructor, Bryan, yelling at me to 'stop stirring the custard, lad!' (or derivation of). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 9/11/2022 at 10:59 AM, general melchett said:

I can still hear my instructor, Bryan, yelling at me to 'stop stirring the custard, lad!' (or derivation of). 

Brings back similar happy(?) memories of BFTS QFI manically oscillating the stick on finals in an effort to get it through thick skulls (well thick skull singular really) that ‘stick stirring’ be a nervous habit influencing the flight path of the aircraft not a jot.  Eventually became a sort of minor token of competence to be ‘calm’ on the stick.

Assured work on teeny cockpit Terry.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pathetic?

No sir not your carrots...

(Should be worth a pint at Telford methinks)

Dont go expecting me to make targets, t'was bad enough being forced to build a tank for a charity event at club a while back.

I do draw the line at expecting my builds to be shot at (OK I used to shoot at Spitterschmitts when I was much much younger)

But I will be gleefully folloiwing along at the back near the bar.

• Haha 3

Brings back similar happy(?) memories of BFTS QFI manically oscillating the stick on finals in an effort to get it through thick skulls (well thick skull singular really) that ‘stick stirring’ be a nervous habit influencing the flight path of the aircraft not a jot. 

So true Steve, his way of ensuring we didn't repeat it when we were finally allowed to drive the things around on our own was to suddenly apply a good amount of left foot on short finals...in an open cockpit that certainly woke you up. I think it must have sunk in, because after that (in the TX.3) he asked me if I had my hand on the blasted stick or not!

I do draw the line at expecting my builds to be shot at (OK I used to shoot at Spitterschmitts when I was much much younger)

Good lord, Terry didn't mention anything about that in the SIG rules, Bill... always read the small print....maybe wise to take my tin hat.  :viking:

• Haha 1

Since T31s are being talked about, haven't got in one myself but I did pass on the opportunity to a couple of months ago in favour of doing some exercises in a Perkoz. Intended to do an exercise where I fly a circuit with my altimeter convered (and the electronic vario since that also displays altitude), but I really wanted to do spin training. The tow was just so expensive to get high enough though so we went for the circuit exercise

.. until we hit a 1kt thermal which went painfully slowly up to 4000ft. Got all the spin training i needed done off a winch. 

Anyway, back to the T31 it gave us a good laugh when the instructor in the back made downwind calls.... without a radio. Just shouted them

• Haha 2

On 9/11/2022 at 12:24 AM, corsaircorp said:

Superb work on the glider Terry

Thank you CC!

On 9/11/2022 at 10:59 AM, general melchett said:

Great job on the gliders, love the T31, brings back ATC memories of floating/wobbling around the skies of Henlow, in our T-21s and Cadet TX.3s back in the early seventies. I can still hear my instructor, Bryan, yelling at me to 'stop stirring the custard, lad!' (or derivation of). 

Thanks Andy. The memories are flooding back here also. I was always referred to as "laddie" for some reason, usually followed by some prize expletives!

On 9/13/2022 at 10:20 AM, general melchett said:

I think it must have sunk in, because after that (in the TX.3) he asked me if I had my hand on the blasted stick or not!

I recall one occasion when the voice in the back congratulated me on some very good straight and level flying .......... and I wasn't actually holding the stick at all! That seemed to be the way to stop them yelling at you!

On 9/13/2022 at 7:55 AM, Fritag said:

that ‘stick stirring’ be a nervous habit influencing the flight path of the aircraft not a jot.

I rest my case!

On 9/13/2022 at 7:55 AM, Fritag said:

Assured work on teeny cockpit Terry.

Thanks Steve, I may screw it up yet though ..........!

On 9/13/2022 at 9:34 AM, perdu said:

Pathetic?

No sir not your carrots...

(Should be worth a pint at Telford methinks)

You are on!

On 9/13/2022 at 10:20 AM, general melchett said:

Good lord, Terry didn't mention anything about that in the SIG rules, Bill... always read the small print...

In the good old Target Fac SIG, I make the rules up to suit the moment!

On 9/13/2022 at 11:58 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Anyway, back to the T31 it gave us a good laugh when the instructor in the back made downwind calls.... without a radio. Just shouted them

It was always an amusing time standing around the control caravan at the launch point as you could hear various poor souls being yelled at quite clearly as they flew the circuits!

22 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Oh boy, things with big wings. Ooooh oooh baby...        :)

Welcome back!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill! More big wings underway but first ...............

Having just spent two days away to celebrate my birthday with some family members up in Winchester, I have to report no further progress on the gliders, but I did have a very good birthday .............

Left to right, my daughter, yours truly, Mrs T, my eldest granddaughter. All arranged in secret by Mrs T!

Photo from Terry Howlett

and I can report that those profiteroles were AWESOME!

Photo from Terry Howlett (1)

More glider work soon.

T.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3