The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I even dug this one out

Doesn't she look sweet, a bit rough around the edges but very promising. Yes, the Viking is also looking rather swish too. You're on a roll now, don't stop.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear your still suffering Terry but glad to hear you're on the mend.

As I'm sure you already know the Poole Vikings show was a superb day out with plenty of interesting exhibits and lots of traders, all under the watchful eye of Ian @Oldgitian ensuring everything ran like clockwork.

Your Viking looks stunning and makes a great addition to your glider fleet.

Stay safe          Roger

• Thanks 1

Tanks for your comments @bigbadbadge, and  @Courageous.

10 hours ago, 621Andy said:

Great effort! Looks stunning!

Thank you Andy, and thank you for your help and input throughout the build, very much appreciated!

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I need to find an Acro (Viking) kit in any scale... I can print decals easily enough. I want to model my university's glider G-NUGC...

The only ones I'm aware of are this one by Heritage Aviation in 1/72 and they did a larger 1/48 resin kit also. Very hard to find now I think.

7 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Lovely work Terry! Hope the virus wears off soon…

Thank you Matt. A clear test today (negative) and I'm also feeling much better these last few days.

55 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Sorry to hear your still suffering Terry but glad to hear you're on the mend.

As I'm sure you already know the Poole Vikings show was a superb day out with plenty of interesting exhibits and lots of traders, all under the watchful eye of Ian @Oldgitian ensuring everything ran like clockwork.

Your Viking looks stunning and makes a great addition to your glider fleet.

Stay safe          Roger

Yes Roger, I hear the show was a success, very pleased about that and hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for your comments on the Viking. Might be tackling an AFV soon!

Terry

• Like 3

Glad to know you tested negative, I hope for a quick full recovery! 

Meanwhile,  your glider looks excellent - off to the RFI now! :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Great work, I love the finished bird. It's such a great feeling when you've run out of parts and realise you're finished - until you look at the pile of kits in the stash and realise "OMG, how will I ever decide on the next one?'    :drunk:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 4

On 4/25/2022 at 8:53 AM, Hamden said:

Come on in the waters fine!

Stay safe        Roger

I'm sure it is Roger. I might dust off that old M60 conversion that's been hanging around for a while!

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Superbe, as we say in these parts.

Did you ever get your hands on one of these Terry, it looks like it would have been very nice to fly.

Get well soon and stay safe

John

🇺🇦

Thank you John. My gliding experiences were limited to the T31 and T21, as by the time the Viking came around I'd been wooed by the fairer sex! I suspect it would have been wonderful to fly.

21 hours ago, giemme said:

Glad to know you tested negative, I hope for a quick full recovery! 

Thanks Giorgio. The road to recovery feels good!

18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks lovely, great addition to the glider squadron!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. I've a way to go before getting a full squadron - is it 12 aircraft these days? A quite tally on the gliders in the stash shows I have another 6 to build!

13 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Great work, I love the finished bird. It's such a great feeling when you've run out of parts and realise you're finished - until you look at the pile of kits in the stash and realise "OMG, how will I ever decide on the next one?'   

Thanks Bill. As for the next aircraft build (WIP) I'm feeling like a big change, maybe rotary winged or perhaps something in a bigger scale maybe ............  🤔

Thanks again all.

Terry

• Like 2

Glad you're free of the dreaded virus Terry and your ever increasing squadron of gliders looks great.  Is it time now to put your obvious skills into building something with and engine?😄 

Regards

Ian

• Haha 2

On 4/28/2022 at 1:58 PM, Oldgitian said:

Glad you're free of the dreaded virus Terry and your ever increasing squadron of gliders looks great.  Is it time now to put your obvious skills into building something with and engine?😄 

Regards

Ian

On 4/29/2022 at 3:12 PM, Martian said:

She looks lovely Terry! Not so sure about the airworthiness of the Impala or Vosper though. :unsure:

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian! Neither I agree are especially airworthy.

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

I’m a bite late behind the drag curve here - but I’ll sneak unobtrusively in at the back and stick my hand up with them voting this to be a lovely result Terry :whistle:

Thanks you Steve, glad the result has captured your vote!

Terry

• 1 month later...

Wow, how two months can pass by with no updates on these!

Lots of reasons for that (of course)...........

The important one being that, at last having had my long awaited leg operation to "remove" some errant veins which over time have been causing much aggro to yours truly. The op happened two weeks ago to this very day. At first, I was disappointed to learn (several weeks prior to the op date) that they would only be doing one leg at a time!. My disappointment soon gave way to relief, as the following day I realised that if both had been done together, I would have had great trouble walking!

Anyway, the Op on my left leg was successful, and several days later they had me back in to scan the right leg, which revealed work on that leg was indeed needed. I'm now awaiting the date for that, but life is so much better already with the most problematic leg fixed, albeit still with some internal soreness from having had the problem veins lasered out.

Indeed I have already attended one club night, and spent a full day yesterday at Tankfest, with the Tank Museum volunteer modellers, a group I am now part of. The idea of that group is that we provide modelling displays (just like clubs do at Telford and other shows), during school holidays and other special events held at the Museum. It is refreshing to find there is still a high level of interest in the hobby, from the general public, and that many children are still engaged in the hobby.

Other distractions include having finished these two background builds (RFI links but no WIP's) in recent weeks.....

A 1/72 F-51H....

And a 1/72 QF-86E Sabre.....

Little real progress on any gliders, apart from managing to get a plan into Fusion to get my head around what help 3D technology might be, in turning a Grunau Baby into a Slingsby Prefect. The fuselage mods (longer and reshaped fin) can easily be done using "old style" modelling skills, but the wing is crying out to be 3D printed.

Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 18.11.48

Much more homework to do on that, but in the meantime, I do plan to finish one of the two Grunau as a straight Baby, no mods at all, OOTB .............🤔

I'm also limbering up to start a new 1/48 aircraft build sometime soon. More of that in a new WIP soon for those interested, although @CedB and @giemme may have some insight to what that might be! 😉

More on the gliders soon I hope.

T.

• Like 11

Hi Terry 

Hlad you have had some attention re your legs  I hope you make a swift recovery and get more night clubbing in!!!😉.

Hooe you can get the old Glider mojo back too.  Your models in RFI  look wonderful fella.

Looking forward to some more on here

Chris

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear you've had part of your leg problems sorted and hopefully the wait for the second round won't be too long.

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Terry 

Hlad you have had some attention re your legs  I hope you make a swift recovery and get more night clubbing in!!!😉.

Hooe you can get the old Glider mojo back too.  Your models in RFI  look wonderful fella.

Looking forward to some more on here

Chris

Thanks Chris. Haven't done that sort of clubbing in a while! The gliders will carry on as a background project, and certainly the un modified Grunau should be a quickie, if I stick to OOTB!

18 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Glad to hear you've had part of your leg problems sorted and hopefully the wait for the second round won't be too long.

Stay safe           Roger

Cheers Roger! Hopefully now that I can get out and about much more easily, I'll bump into you again at a show soon!

T.

• Like 2

You'd better be bumping into us at Telford young geezer, now as you have a semblance of a working leg.

Dammit lad as long as I can so can you.  ;)

The glider look darned wonderful, as real as you can get in tiny scale, well done.

Personally I would love to see the Vosper finished but I know that isnt a flibbertigibbet of a task, soon though maybe.

And New St station, that has to be a goer.

Serious question about Fusion here, what do you have to do to turn a Canvas into a Sketch?

It keeps passing right over my head but there's bench seats to build one day and I have drawings for them and I am determined to get that sorted myself, for myself.

(big American bomber?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm also limbering up to start a new 1/48 aircraft build sometime soon. More of that in a new WIP soon for those interested, although @CedB and @giemme may have some insight to what that might be! 😉

Looking forward to that, Terry :thumbsup:

Glad that at least one leg got fixed - I hope they sort out the other one soon too :) 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

So can we call you “ Hoppity “ until the other one’s done? Glad to hear the op was successful.

Looking forward to the 1/48 build, I won’t even attempt a guess at it, I’ll just keep watching the aircraft WIPs ( I’m assuming that it will be an aeroplane. )

Stay safe 

John. 🇺🇦

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

You'd better be bumping into us at Telford young geezer, now as you have a semblance of a working leg.

Dammit lad as long as I can so can you.  ;)

The glider look darned wonderful, as real as you can get in tiny scale, well done.

Personally I would love to see the Vosper finished but I know that isnt a flibbertigibbet of a task, soon though maybe.

Thanks Bill. I'm determined to be at Telford this year Bill, even if t'other leg not fixed by then, so no worries.

I do need to get that Vosper past the finish line, and I'll make a concerted effort on that once I decide to get back on the case.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

And New St station, that has to be a goer.

Baffled, although I know that is in your part of the world?

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Serious question about Fusion here, what do you have to do to turn a Canvas into a Sketch?

I'm thinking that we just use the imported Canvas, to start to draw our own sketch, BUT our betters in the form of @hendie, @Fritag and @TheBaron will likely be able to answer with some authority. I'm also needing to get my head around scaling drawings as well .......... rest assured Bill, you are not alone in your struggle!!!

1 hour ago, perdu said:

(big American bomber?)

That's not the 1/48 project, but there will be a 1/72 one also, in the distant future! 😁

27 minutes ago, giemme said:

Looking forward to that, Terry :thumbsup:

Glad that at least one leg got fixed - I hope they sort out the other one soon too :) 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. Re the 1/48 project, the goods are not here yet!

18 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

So can we call you “ Hoppity “ until the other one’s done? Glad to hear the op was successful.

Looking forward to the 1/48 build, I won’t even attempt a guess at it, I’ll just keep watching the aircraft WIPs ( I’m assuming that it will be an aeroplane. )

Stay safe 

John. 🇺🇦

Hoppity would be very appropriate John! I know what the 1/48 should be, but as mentioned above, I can't be sure till it arrives!

Thanks again everyone for comments and well wishes.

T.

• Like 1

Confused?

You/I will be, the New St reference was for a build young Bootneck is involved in, not sure why I had it in my memory as one of yours.

Put it down to latent stupidity and please forgive me.

Whilst getting the Vosper closer to the line if you can.

Doh...