The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

Thanks @keefr22, @bigbadbadge and @giemme, always appreciate your comments!

3 hours ago, Sercrets07 said:

As a Royal Canadian Air Cadet myself, I am interested in these kits. Do you have a link in which to purchase them? Thanks, and great build!

Cheers, Sercrets

Thanks Sercrets. Most of these kits came from Hannants in the UK https://www.hannants.co.uk/ but they no longer seem to stock the Canadian Slingsby T53. The Grob Viking was bought at the Telford show a couple of years back and is quite hard to source now, but might get lucky and find them on ebay.

HTH

Terry

• Like 1

On 07/12/2021 at 15:54, Terry1954 said:

Thanks @keefr22, @bigbadbadge and @giemme, always appreciate your comments!

Thanks Sercrets. Most of these kits came from Hannants in the UK https://www.hannants.co.uk/ but they no longer seem to stock the Canadian Slingsby T53. The Grob Viking was bought at the Telford show a couple of years back and is quite hard to source now, but might get lucky and find them on ebay.

HTH

Terry

Great! Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening on any gliders for a bit. A few days ago the wings went on and needed a little filling around the join with the fuselage, plus some very strange minute hols in one of the underside wing tips. Got all that filled, sanded, micro primer and rubbed down again.

First a quick shot showing re-applied masking, but after some further smoothing work.

IMG20211212201825

Here we are tonight with the Viking looking a lot more like a glider.

IMG20211218152740

IMG20211218152754

I was contemplating a quick wash over with IPA prior to an all over white undercoat, when I spotted something I was not too pleased about. The ailerons are deeper (front to back) on the starboard wing compared to the port wing. At the inner most point on the starboard wing, they measure just 3mm front to back. Same point on the port wing is just over 2.5mm. Not much you might think, but it is quite noticeable. Enough to bother me at any rate!

So here is the plan. As the starboard wing seems to compare favourably to the drawing in the kit, and available pictures, we'll assume that one is correct. The other one will get filled (probably with micro rod and super glue), sanded smooth and re-scribed.

A set back of course, but not so bad I guess. Just wish I'd have seen it before now.

More soon.

Terry

• Like 12

On 12/19/2021 at 12:57 PM, Biggles87 said:

You sure it’s not some cunning plan to counteract adverse yaw, like Frise. 😜

Could be!

On 12/19/2021 at 12:22 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Shame about the Ailerons being different widths, although looking a great shape now its altogether Terry.  I hope correction goes to plan, I am sure it will. 

Chris

It turns out that the aileron issue was the least of my challenges Chris.............

Those of a nervous disposition, should look away now!

You may recall with the Astir, I had an issue with wing alignment, the issue being I was not happy with the first attempt at alignment, so I "broke" it off and re-did it. In recent weeks I kept stalling (no pun intended) further work on the Viking as I was bothered by what seemed to be very very slight asymmetry issue when it came to wing alignment.

Basicly the starboard wing needed to be angled forward by the minutest amount. There was nothing for it but to make the break.......

IMG20211219160031

Fortunately nothing else broke, and the brass "spar" remained intact.

This made refitting easier, but with a very small wedge of resin tucked in between the wing root at the rear, and the fuselage, to push the LE forward just a tad.

Another good dose of Squadron grey stuff putty and the use of the home made alignment jig (eyes, perpendicular lines, small support blocks and a pinch of luck), and we have a re-fixed wing.

IMG20211219223257

In this shot you can just see the wedge. It's not a directly overhead shot, but trust me, fore and aft and wing tip to wing tip, all line up the way they should now. The tail fin even sits at 90 degrees to the wing tip to wing tip horizontal line, which kind of means the dihedral is equal across the airframe.

IMG20211219161439

Another shot with no background references at all, so you'll have to take my word that it all lines up!

IMG20211219223330

Normal service can now be resumed, which means work on the ailerons to make them equal sized. And on that point, I re-studied pictures and plans and realise that I had originally declared the port aileron to be at fault, but it turns out it is the starboard one. So this needs reducing in depth, work which has now begun, so pictures when that is presentable!

More soon

Terry

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

On 12/21/2021 at 3:51 PM, giemme said:

That's some serious surgery there, Terry! Glad you sorted it :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. I had to do it, I would not have been satisfied with even an almost unnoticeable mis-alignment.

On 12/21/2021 at 6:22 PM, bigbadbadge said:

I would have parked it at an angle and told everyone they're imagining it!!!

That might have worked, as they tend to "park" one wing down!

On 12/21/2021 at 9:37 PM, keefr22 said:

Good, and as Chris said, brave, work there Terry!

Thanks Keith.

No photo updates this evening, busy preparing for tomorrow, but I can report that there is a good white undercoat on again, and the new starboard aileron scribing has worked a treat.

Next job will be a fine misting of gloss white, ready for the orange and dayglo markings. A bit to discuss on that issue given several different schemes I have seen. 

The only modelling scheduled to take place over the next week will be as an advisory consultant for two of my grandsons who like to make "something" when they are here - the stash has to be guarded most carefully. I have six grandchildren and four step grandchildren (so far!). The two due down in a few days are the most keen on modelling. They are due down here on the 27th, assuming government rules allow at that time. Others may follow after that!

So to all my dedicated followers here, have a great Christmas! :gift::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Terry

PS There might be a quick update on Boxing Day to reveal presents, one of which looks remarkably like a new airbrush................

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Wow, seven weeks have passed without update on the gliders.! Need to fix that.

Much has gone on over Christmas and New Year which has distracted me from these, but some work and some research has happened.

A number of grandchildren have once again visited our Dorset bolt hole (aka home) during the holiday break, including these two who I'm glad to say voted Grandad's fried eggs on sourdough a tremendous success over the usual cereal based breakfast:

IMG20211231082641

Mrs T was quick to remind me that the picture also shows one of my other "stalled" projects in the from of a missing larder unit door, which I removed some time ago as it had a faulty hinge and a broken area to which the hinge should re-attach. Must get that fixed and the door replaced...............

Other distractions have included a continued issue with my legs, which still await a date for an op to remove (by laser zapping I'm told) some rogue varicose veins which are causing endless challenges to full mobility. I'm fine during the mornings and early afternoons, but by the evening after any reasonable time on my legs, I'm forced to rest them horizontally, to ease the challenges. This has actually impacted on bench time as sitting for any long period of time is not comfortable. 

These two have also occupied a bit of my sparse time at the bench, edging closer to finishing........

The QF-86 drone, awaits a bit more paint around the cockpit. This one had black canopy frames and immediate cockpit surroundings.

IMG20220208161853

And a P-51H, in a special ANG scheme used at a 1950's gunnery meet..

IMG20220208161812

IMG20220208161824

So, to the gliders, and first the Viking.

We have at last reached the stage where all smoothing/polishing/priming iterations are complete and she has a couple of nice coats of glass white. I'm particularly pleased with the cockpit glazing and how it now confirms seamlessly to the front fuselage.

IMG20220208154000

IMG20220208154008

The finish is very smooth, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Once again, as on the Astir, I used Tamiya gloss white thinned with Mr Levelling thinner, as a final top coat.

Some shots showing the inside is clearly visible, so all that work wasn't wasted!

IMG20220208154338

IMG20220208154615

I'd started to plan the masking for the very colourful version I want to model. The instructions show that all nose, tail, wingtip and wing bands should be in orange (as shown below) but every photo reference I have seen tells me that all the wing bands are actually a dayglo red/orange, quite different to the nose tail and wingtip trim orange.

IMG20220209164941

Found these two unattributed pictures on the Air Cadet 101 website, to illustrate my point

gliding viking

img-7904_orig

The second picture clearly shows the colour difference if you look at the near wingtip, which is the "orange" colour, as opposed to the wing bands, which are dayglo.

The colours that I plan to use (once decided on which dayglo) are these:

IMG20220208161616

The orange looks good for the front and rear trim and wingtips. I'm erring towards the Luminous red, for the dayglo.

But there are some "challenges" to work through still......

First slight challenge on the colouring front, are the decals which provide the nose and tail trim, which if I used them as is, would need to be matched on the wing tips.

IMG20220208161703

My concern is whether those nose decals will actually wrap around cleanly enough. If I decide to paint, I'm pretty confident that the tail markings can be masked - I have 0.4mm tape to cover the white vertical down the rudder, so that's OK, but that small white trim line which sits either side of the Air Cadet logo may be trickier to mask. The Air Cadet logo itself can be cut free and used as is, if I go with the paint option.

My current thinking is to trim out the logo, and have one first attempt at using the nose decals, to see if I can get them conforming neatly to the nose. If that fails, its paint or bust! 

Second challenge is on the wing bands, and the positioning of the air brakes or spoilers. I noticed for the first time that the starboard wing spoiler is not lined up well with the wing itself.

Starboard, which to my eye is not parallel with wing LE

IMG20220208160535

...... and Port, which is more parallel. The pic is a bit blurred, but trust me, they align quite differently, and I think it will be noticeable given that the dayglo bands are intersected span wise by a white area as per the plan view above.

IMG20220208160545

I've a mind to just fill them and overpaint to remove the issue, as they are almost invisible on pictures of the real thing.

Third challenge is actually a mistake in the kit that I have again only just noticed. Tailplane view as per kit:

IMG20220208161518

Tailplane view as per plan, and all reference photos I've seen:

IMG20220208161533

A simple thought process would have told me that, on the model, these elevators would foul the rudder in any left or right movement of said rudder, combined with up or down movement of said elevators ............. Ooops!

So that needs fixing.

Fourth challenge came about when I was thinking where the cable attachment point sits on these gliders. I have seen pictures of launches by ground winch, where the cable seems to attach somewhere on the under fuselage at a point just behind the join between the two canopies. There appears to be a second attachment point right on the nose, I assume for an aero towed launch. So these two modifications need adding to the model in the form of a simple hole, as the attachment point. Looks like I'm going to spoil that lovely streamlined pointed nose!

Perhaps @621Andy can confirm re both these points?

I'll post a further update soon on the Prefect, which owing to some challenges with modifying the Grunau Baby wing to make a "perfect" Prefect, may be leading me down the 3D modelling path at some point having been suitable impressed and inspired with the superb undertakings of certain members of this parish notably @TheBaron, @hendie, @Brandy and @Fritag. All will be explained in due course!

Terry

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

but that small white trim line which sits either side of the Air Cadet logo may be trickier to mask

If you can mask and spray the orange successfully (and I'm sure you can!) could you not trim the white stripes from the decal sheet and use them?

• Like 1

Sooo, the orange on the nose, tail and wingtips is a standard orange applied(or impregnated or whatever they did) by Grob themselves. You'll see the the same on many of their aircraft. The dayglo stripes were added by the RAF to increase visibility. I seem to remember that the original aircraft just had the Grob orange, the the gliders at 'Centre' started appearing with the dayglo, and then it became a standard fit. There are always concerns on glass fibre aircraft about certain areas heating up more than others due to them not being white and many experiments have been done to determine what can be painted and how dark it can be. I suppose this was the best compromise...

Elevators- Yes, there needs to be a cut out else you wouldn't get very far in pitch (rudder seems fine though😋).

Hooks: yes, one on the belly for winching(slightly offset to port if I remember correctly) and one in the nose for aerotowing.

Here's a PDF of the Flight Manual: http://www.soarccsc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Grob-103-Twin-Astir-Flight-Manual.pdf 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The drones are looking rather splendid Terry and the Canopy on the Viking looks absolutely lovely, all that effort has really paid off  shame about the spoiler.   Good luck with the decals and dayglo.

If you get that door fixed you could earn some valuable modelling brownie points from SWMBO!!!

:whistle:

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

If you can mask and spray the orange successfully (and I'm sure you can!) could you not trim the white stripes from the decal sheet and use them?

Nice idea Dave, and I'd give it a try but the stripes on the decals are actually clear not white, being designed for the white on the fuselage to show through.

Once again @621Andy much priceless information which i will use, thanks. I had a feeling the under fuselage hook was offset, just like i recall way back when flying the T31. I'm assuming for ease of attachment when rolling around on the ground underneath! The pdf file is brilliant, thanks.

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The drones are looking rather splendid Terry and the Canopy on the Viking looks absolutely lovely, all that effort has really paid off  shame about the spoiler.   Good luck with the decals and dayglo.

If you get that door fixed you could earn some valuable modelling brownie points from SWMBO!!!

:whistle:

Great work 

Chris

Thank you Chris. I'll do an RFI for the Sabre and the P-51H when they are eventually done, better fix that kitchen door first though!

No pics to show yet but tailplane has been removed and reshaped, spoikers will get fixed next.

Terry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice idea Dave, and I'd give it a try but the stripes on the decals are actually clear not white, being designed for the white on the fuselage to show through.

It looked white in the photo, but now I look closer it appears to be an optical illusion, I see what you mean. They're fairly simple shapes though, could you use the kit sheet to cut the stripes from some spare white decal?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

could you use the kit sheet to cut the stripes from some spare white decal?

An idea that I'll throw into the mix Dave, thanks!

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Super smooth job on the drones and the glider! :worthy:  All that wok on the canopy definitely payed off, it is amazingly clear and well posed! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, appreciate your compliments very much!

18 hours ago, perdu said:

The canopy fuselage interface is brilliant Terry, lovely work.

Thank you Bill. That part was always going to be the most challenging, and the canopy we ended up with was the third iteration. The interface was just lots of patient filling/sanding/polishing/priming repeat repeat repeat, a technique that I've managed to refine from watching the master (you!) at work.

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

The QF-86 and P-51H are looking nice and crisp. The canopy area of the glider is also looking smart and clear. As for the tail end and decals, I'm sure you'll get them sorted.

How's that Vosper coming along I wonder.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. Paint and decals will be a slight challenge, but that's what we do. I'm afraid my old eyes are struggling to read that last part. Those small fonts are devilish to make out ........ I'm assuming it's some further complementary banter in your usual style, so thank you. 😜

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, mostly due to other projects, but progress has picked up on this one again.

But first, such interest in the poor old Vosper.........

On 2/11/2022 at 12:41 PM, Brandy said:

He said

"HOW'S THE VOSPER COMING ALONG"

Just trying to be helpful.

Ian

Thank you Ian. Perhaps you and @Courageous should have a treat, there you go ......

IMG20220308131452

The Vosper hasn't been coming along at all for a while, mostly due to loss of Vosper mojo, but when the Viking, QF-86 and P-51H are complete (all due to be ready for the April Poole Viking show), I do intend to re-commence work on the Vosper, and maybe even get it finished for Telford 22. Beers all round if that happens!

And other distractions in the form of joining a new model club, the BDAC (Boscombe Down Aviation Collection at Old Sarum) and a very quick visit to the Boscombe Down collection itself last Sunday morning (Huge thanks to Mrs T for getting me up there and back).

Longer visits are still off the cards until I get my veins zapped and can manage more than a few hours on my feet! Hopefully after my operation, we can do the full visit to BDAC and Middle Wallop @CedB and @Ex-FAAWAFU!

Some pictures for those interested, perhaps @Navy Bird for the Raspberry Ripples. If you click on the picture it will take you to my (growing) collection of BDAC pictures on Flickr....

BDAC

Meanwhile the two fixes to the Viking in the form of:

1. Corrected Tailplane

IMG20220308131830

2. Filled in and repainted airbrakes on top of the wing

IMG20220308131812

Next task was to have been masking for the dayglo. I made a start taking measurements from the 172 plans provided in the kit, but subsequently discovered from looking at pictures of the real thing, I had the white spanwise gap, too far back, by just a visible tad. 

The masking so far:

IMG20220308165444

The real thing showing more dayglo red behind the spanwise white section than ahead of it. Will need to redo the initial masking to match and complete the other wing, then dayglo paint will follow!. 

ZE684

This photo was is on 18rmt Flickr stream, and appears through posting the link. I will remove if 18rmt requests.

Terry

• Like 12