The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

A splendid update in all respects Terry though jealous of your Dorset overflight of course.

I don't know about the evening refreshment but I think your signature is just the ability to create a deeply warm and  pleasant vibe with your all  posts. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, lovely update Terry.

15 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Although I was planning to use a fine spray airbrush, being red on white I wanted no scope for stray overspray, so then set about masking off the whole of the rest of the airframe. Call me paranoid!

I share your masking pain terry.  We were probably sat in different parts of the country busily (pedantically?) masking away in parallel.....

similar to Steve @Fritag's sinister glove and glasses? 🤪

Oy. Stop that - it's not an image that's allowed to catch on...... :rofl2:

I get to go flying now and then with my old school chum Malcolm. We fly out of Bournemouth Airport where he has a share in this Robin and although its close to 40 years old, it is a delight to fly.

Luverrly.  Very pretty looking aircraft. Envy.

Several years ago I used to hire one of two Robins at Sherbun-in-Elmet airfield.  They were aerobatic two seaters tho' - Robin 2160's IIRC.  Had control sticks rather than yokes (proper means of control :D) and I use to take myself off for some gentlemanly aero's - returning to base when the ageing aviator's stomach started to heave with all that disturbance to equilibrium.....

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And talking about lovely - that's what your Sabre collection is - lovely little jets, all of them!

Thanks Keith. I have a bit of a thing for Sabre's I must admit. I have a few more in the stash.

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Lovely update Terry,  lucky man.

Dorset, the flights of delight and Mrs T. Colour me whatever hue is envy this week. 

Thanks Bill. Mrs T says she is looking forward to seeing you again at Telford!

22 hours ago, Martian said:

Great work Terry! It's amazing what the looming prospet of Telford does to people's productivity at this time of year.

Martian von Pot Calling The Kettle Black 👽

Thanks Martian. It does always seem to be a bit of a rush this time of year. How's that Submarine doing 😁

21 hours ago, giemme said:

So you got, at the same time, to fly and beautiful weather in England?? Lucky boy!

Proper job on the red trim (I hate overspray too, so no masking is excessive), and the  Saberjet drone looks great too - along with the rest of the collection :clap: :clap:

I have one in the stash myself to be done in Italian colors, I'll have to dig that out sometimes....

Ciao 

Yes I realise I'm a lucky boy Giorgio! An Italian F-86 would look pretty cool. The first F-86 I ever saw for real was at a Biggin Hill air display back in the 60's. Very nice jet in those colours.

20 hours ago, dolphin38 said:

Caught G-ROBN at Solent airport on the 21 Oct

Brilliant shot of G-ROBN, she does get about a bit! I had a quick look on your Flickr feed and was very impressed. Lots of good aircraft and indeed warship reference shots.

20 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Terry, in case it helps, here are some better views: note the small 'Stinger' logo as indicated:

That's brilliant Duncan, many thanks indeed.

18 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A splendid update in all respects Terry though jealous of your Dorset overflight of course.

I don't know about the evening refreshment but I think your signature is just the ability to create a deeply warm and  pleasant vibe with your all  posts. Thank you.

Thank you Tony, I guess the pleasant vibes must come from the Dorset air!

10 hours ago, Fritag said:

I share your masking pain terry.  We were probably sat in different parts of the country busily (pedantically?) masking away in parallel.....

Thats spooky Steve! A sort of parallel masking universe I guess.

Oy. Stop that - it's not an image that's allowed to catch on......

Well you can blame Tony I reckon, he started it!

Had control sticks rather than yokes (proper means of control :D) and I use to take myself off for some gentlemanly aero's - returning to base when the ageing aviator's stomach started to heave with all that disturbance to equilibrium.....

Sounds like a great aircraft also. Years ago during my PPL course I booked a 30 minute Aerobatics lesson in an SA Bulldog. My instructor recommended it as I had become less than relaxed trying to master particularly difficult cross wind landings for about the third week in a row. The guy that took me up in the Bulldog was an ex-fast jet chap whose last job was at Boscombe Down as a test pilot. Boy, what a shake out lesson that was, but it certainly did the trick! I finally nailed the cross wind landings after that experience. The Bulldog had sticks, and I much preferred them to the yoke in the PA-28's.

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

That sounds like a Weatherspoons pub!

Ian

Don't you start, he'll blame me again!

On inspecting the nose of the Astir, I can just see some darkness underneath the red, which is a small patch of resin that was just showing through from constant polishing prior to top coat. You can hardly see it in this shot, but it is there. So we'll need another small dusting of red on that.

IMG20211023173616

So when I get the red out again later, this one will get some red too. The wing tops stay white for this particular example. The other drone is due some red as well, but I snapped the wing off whilst masking it up, so that's "resting" for now to allow the fix to set.

IMG20211023173549

And while we are at it, I have three bucks being prepared for the Viking. I'm actually going to cast all three in a silicone mould, making six altogther and then vacform over all six at once, giving me six chances at getting a decent canopy in one shot!

IMG20211023173757

Nothing will get done on these tomorrow as I'm off to the Yeovil Model show. I daresay I might come back with some souvenirs.

If anyone else is going and wishes to say hi, you will likely find me on the Poole Vikings stand (IPMS Dorset).

Terry

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Martian. It does always seem to be a bit of a rush this time of year. How's that Submarine doing 😁

That's the pot calling the kettle bit! I think I will get there if the rest of the Galaxy leaves me in peace for a couple of weeks. It's like everyone who can cause me embuggerance has got together and decided that "It's coming up to Telford. Time to press the hassle button just about.....NOW!"

Stressed of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm actually going to cast all three in a silicone mould, making six altogther and then vacform over all six at once, giving me six chances at getting a decent canopy in one shot!

Sound policy Terry.

Hope you enjoy(ed) Yeovilton. :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

Going great guns Terry, especially like the look of the Sabre drones . 

As for your 'signature card', I think a cobwebbed covered Vosper would be more fitting :rofl2:.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I wondered if the Vosper as a signature, might come up at this juncture!

Terry

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I wondered if the Vosper as a signature, might come up at this juncture!

With me lurking around, why wouldn't you. With SMW being only a few weeks away, it'll be nice to catch up in the bar...as is the way.

Stuart

• Like 1

Time for the big reveal on the Astir................

IMG20211025160236

Everything came off with no paint lifting at all. I like MRP paints and Tamiya Lacquers! 

I'm pretty pleased with the way everything looks so far. Canopy mask will obvs stay on till the end. To remind us all, this one is the Belgian Air Cadet airframe. Apart from the drones, anyone fancy identifying the third aircraft in the background?

IMG20211025181241

IMG20211025181318

IMG20211025181249

IMG20211025181400

IMG20211025181352

IMG20211025181344

A bit of clean up needed around the upper nose, but I was very pleased with the consistent gap between the red, and the front base edge of the canopy.

IMG20211025182214

There was one small area of paint leak, justifying my masking paranoia I would say Steve! @Fritag. When seen In the flesh as it were, this appears as a small red smudge. Need to check what the dark spots are. Should clean up OK. 

IMG20211025160114

And of course, as they don't have their own WIP, The broken winged drone is now repaired and white based again (background), with it's companion now having some red paint too!

Topside:

IMG20211025181647

Underside:

IMG20211025181651

This one is destined to become a US Navy drone, the other will be a Canadian Air Force version.

More soon.

Terry

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

There was one small area of paint leak, justifying my masking paranoia I would say Steve! @Fritag.

Fair play Terry.  Of course it’d be a different matter if the tape had lifted paint all over the place.  Just saying :whistle: (I can’t help it - it’s the lawyer in me trying to get the last word - it’s under control most of the time :blush:)

Seriously;  fine paint job.  Red can be problematical and that’s lovely coverage and equally lovely crisp masking :D

• Haha 1

Thanks for your comments Chris, Giorgio, Keith, Roger and Steve, always appreciated.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:32 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Did you  bring home any souvenirs from the show

Wot me? The trouble is if I see a bargain, and at these small local shows there are many to be had if you look deep and under tables, and if it is something I would like to make, then I get very tempted. 

So to satisfy the longstanding addiction to 1/72 I picked this one up:

IMG20211027105209

And then of course there is a new addition forming to 1/48, after the Meteor build, which incidentally, my friend Bob was very pleased with.

IMG20211027105110

On 10/26/2021 at 9:01 AM, Fritag said:

Of course it’d be a different matter if the tape had lifted paint all over the place.  Just saying :whistle:

Now that could be jinxing talk Steve, you stop that!

Terry

• Like 8

On 10/27/2021 at 7:46 PM, perdu said:

Nice glideythingmy, will you be making the Sea Balliol?

Thanks Bill. Apparently the Sea Balliol has different inner wing sections (in the Sea Balliol Alley Cat kit). This one has the RAF inner wings. As far as I can make out, the differences on the Sea Balliol came down to some strengthening panels on the inner sections. So if I can find some good reference pictures of the difference, then Sea Balliol ios a possibility.

So the Astir has had a couple of very light dustings of this fine stuff, mixed of course with Mr Color Levelling thinner, the thinner that seems to be mixable with most things - I wonder if you can mix it with whisky 🤔

IMG20211029160058

The challenge here is that the following pics look no different to those after the great reveal, except maybe you can see a nice gloss sheen?

IMG20211029155900

IMG20211029155932

IMG20211029160033

Next time you see her, she will be adorned with stickers!

Terry

• Like 11