The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

On 9/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, Fritag said:

Good save Terry,

I’m probably going back again to (thick) cyano :rofl2:  

Thanks Steve. I steered away from Cyno in the end, as you will see. Warning, more recursive modelling coming!

On 9/20/2021 at 8:37 PM, giemme said:

Sleek looking glider, BTW

Thank you Giorgio! I took your advice.........

On 9/20/2021 at 9:08 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Cockpit looks good Terry,  what a shame re the canopy, still well rescued fella.

Good luck getting it glued in place.

Chris

I think the canopy issue is resolved now as you will see, thanks!

On 9/26/2021 at 1:39 AM, Cookenbacher said:

Well that's an elegant looking flying machine.

Thanks Cookie. I hope it will look elegant when done!

On 9/26/2021 at 8:44 PM, TheBaron said:

Trials and tribulations Terry but nicely recovered. I just love that classy looking cockpit. 👏

Thanks Tony! I'm hoping what follows below has left it looking that way.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:29 AM, keefr22 said:

Somehow missed your update Terry, shame about the canopy but I'm sure you'll soon sort that out (if you haven't already given how late I am!) 

It is indeed a lovely looking glider!

Keith

Thanks Keith. sorted as you will see..........

I weighed up all the advice, and in the end went for Giorgio's suggestion on the TeT. Your suggestion of GG Ian @Brandy was a reasonable one, but the problem I had was that the fit of the canopy was not perfect, so I needed a good strong bond, but also one I could apply putty/filler/etc and then sand flush with the surrounding fuselage.

The last few days have seen numerous iterations of filler, sanding and polishing, in order to get a very smooth join. Best summed up by some pictures, the early ones of which are quite scary to see!

Firstly a good dose of Grey stuff....

IMG20210925150313 IMG20210925150300

Then more rubbing down then some touches of Green Stuff......

IMG20210925210457 IMG20210925210504

Even more rubbing down then a good dose of Mr Surfacer 1000 .....

IMG20210925122721 IMG20210925122734

and more rubbing down and a bit more Mr Surfacer .....

IMG20210929205744 IMG20210929205759

And more still until this evening we are here:

IMG20210930171014

The surrounding area may not look great, but to my fingers, it feels pretty smooth all around. The canopy itself has been re-polished extensively and I'm pretty pleased with the result. It suffered much abrasion during the process!

So I reckon it's time to mask the canopy and get some White primer micro filler airbrushed on to see what it all looks like under paint.

Hopefully that will look like progress!

More soon

Terry

• Like 14

Crikey that is a lot of work Terry,  but definitely worth it.  Be good to get some paint on and see. I know what you mean re having to repllosh too, no matter how hard you try not to touch the glazed portion it always happens,  I do find the extra thin width sanding sticks very handy for this sort of work as very controllable. 

Great job Terry 

Chris

• Like 1

There is an easier way..... PPP!

Cut a scrap of plastic sheet and chamfer one end to use as an applicator. Wet said applicator and apply PPP. Scrape wet applicator across the surface lightly and you have a nice smooth, level, surface all the way across! If you have a curved surface simply sand the applicator to the desired curve first!

Worked a treat on the vac canopy on the Battle!

Ian

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey that is a lot of work Terry,  but definitely worth it.  Be good to get some paint on and see.

Yes it was a lot of work, but I think its paid off. I got the masking on the canopy tonight and a couple of coats of MRP micro filler white base. No pics yet but its drying off nicely. I find the MRP paints excellent, and the primer polishes up nicely.

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

There is an easier way..... PPP!

I guess I could have used PPP Ian but to be honest I don't get on with it that much, although I know many swear by it. For this sort of job I like a very hard setting filler that can "bite" into the plastic and be polished to a smooth finish. I've used it a bit, but prefer the more traditional solvent based stuff.

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Nice save on the canopy

Thanks Roger. It was one of those moments where the air went a bit blue I have to say!

I have to chose a nice gloss top coat. I have some MRP 2K (two part) high gloss white, but it might be too gloss for this one in this scale. Will experiment with what whites I have.

More soon

Terry

• Like 4

Gliders....Gliders, what are you doing man, it should be that Vosper :poke:I must stop doing that.

Just caught up with this thread Terry, coming along nicely and with so much glazing, they're gotta have to be super clear 'cos you know there are some nosy bu*gers about. Carry on good man.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You carry on with these gliders, I mean who needs some old boat huh?

;)

Looking good.

I will endorse those thin sanding sticks, they allow wonderful control of the process (but mostly if you can control your sanding fingers) and I have taken to raiding Poundland's posh nails section for sanding blocks, these have been the answer to a nightmare on my helichopter.

16330723772998623095838824143933.jpg

👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely clear polished canopy there Terry, still giving a great view of that lovely cockpit!

Thanks Keith. Quite pleased with my polishing efforts given I had always avoided doing such things till now!

17 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Filling and sanding, filling and sanding - I know what you’re going through with this!

It will be worth it in the end, it should be very smooth.👍

Yes, you've been there I know, and yes I reckon it will be worth it in the end.

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Gliders....Gliders, what are you doing man, it should be that Vosper :poke:I must stop doing that.

Just caught up with this thread Terry, coming along nicely and with so much glazing, they're gotta have to be super clear 'cos you know there are some nosy bu*gers about. Carry on good man.

Ah, I wondered where you had been hiding all this time! Welcome back and thanks. You must have missed the Vosper RFI while you were away 🤔............................. perhaps not, what with six more of these gliders to finish. It still sitting "resting" in the cupboard having given way to a 1/48 Meteor build (recently RFI'd) and a few other wingy type projects. Maybe it'll be finished for Christmas 🙄

8 hours ago, perdu said:

You carry on with these gliders, I mean who needs some old boat huh?

;)

Looking good.

I will endorse those thin sanding sticks, they allow wonderful control of the process (but mostly if you can control your sanding fingers) and I have taken to raiding Poundland's posh nails section for sanding blocks, these have been the answer to a nightmare on my helichopter.

Well it is a bit of a special old boat, but it won't be back on WIP for a bit. My mojo went a bit in the summer and it's aircraft builds that are restoring it! Glad you like the glider progress, just think there are at least six more to come! Sanding stick advice is good, I think I have some already.

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Is that AK putty, Terry?

No it's Squadron Products Gray Putty (Fast dry formula). It's not unlike Green Stuff. A proper traditional putty, complete with fumes that inspire!

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Impressive result Terry - great save! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio!

Quick update. Now we have a white (several coats of primer) glider.

IMG20211001154919

Need to let that harden off as there may be some very fine polishing needed around the nose.

While the airbrush was out, I gave these two a dusting or two. Both 1/72.....

IMG20211001155006

Hoping to have them finished for Telford, as part of the Target Facilities SIG display (take note @Martian and @corsaircorp

These two are Belcher Bits resin, but they should end up looking something like these:

Ryan Q-2A drone colours

More soon

Terry

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 9:16 AM, keefr22 said:

And kill you in a thousand different ways if you read the label (especially if you live in California....!! 🤣 )

K

Very true Keith, very true!

On 10/2/2021 at 12:34 PM, AdrianMF said:

Just caught up with the thread. Super! Good canopy wrestling too. 

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. There will no doubt be more canopy wrestling when I come to first mould, then fit the vacform canopy on the Grob Viking!

On 10/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, Biggles87 said:

You're a brave man doing all that to the canopy Terry, not something I would have attempted. More power to your elbow. ( See what I did there, power elbow polish, oh never mind )

John

Thanks John!

Wow, a whole 20 days elapsed since I posted any progress, so I'll attempt to fix that this afternoon.

It's been a busy few weeks down here in Dorset, with a few more garden projects getting sorted, and then some more pleasurable stuff involving this little beauty:

IMG20211012120233 IMG20211012134205

I get to go flying now and then with my old school chum Malcolm. We fly out of Bournemouth Airport where he has a share in this Robin and although its close to 40 years old, it is a delight to fly.

We managed a very enjoyable hour over many Dorset beauty spots including Poole Harbour, Swanage (including my house), Weymouth bay, Portland, Abbotsbury, Dorchester and Tarrant Rushton. Weather was superb and also got to take a reasonably close look at a couple of cruise liners, still "resting" in Weymouth bay. I think Dujin do a 1/72 version of this, so might have a go at building one sometime.......... 🤔

Yesterday was also a beautiful day and Mrs T and I headed up to Wimborne (by road sadly) for a pleasant lunch and walk about. Couldn't resist this colourful shot which reflected the day perfectly. That's Mrs T not posing on the left!

IMG20211021135740

So onto the Astir.

After several coats of white microfiller primer and some rubbing back, several top coats of white were applied. For this I used Tamiya (acrylic) gloss white, heavily thinned with Mr Levelling thinner. I let that dry off for a few days and then started to mask for the red trim. 

On the nose, I needed the trim to have a small white gap between it and the canopy, so I used very narrow tape to get that line "parallel" with the curved canopy bottom front. Then I applied wider pieces of masking tape to seal off that part completely, then did similar to the wing tips and tail areas.

IMG20211020151140 IMG20211020151148 IMG20211020160058 IMG20211020160105

Although I was planning to use a fine spray airbrush, being red on white I wanted no scope for stray overspray, so then set about masking off the whole of the rest of the airframe. Call me paranoid!

IMG20211022152242 IMG20211022152250

Then it was time for the red trim itself. This time I used one of my new Tamiya Lacquer reds (Bright Red), also thinned with Mr Levelling thinner. I continue to be amazed by Mr Levelling thinner being able to be used to thin both water based paints and lacquer based paints. One of those wonder products available to us in this amazing hobby.

Here you see the Astir after several lightly dusted coats of the red, which went on superbly. The two other "aircraft" you see are the 1/72 Firebee drones also occupying production space. They had just recently had some top surface white, ready for their own masking processes.

IMG20211022155806 IMG20211022155758 IMG20211022155745

I just noticed in that last picture, my evening refreshment sitting next to my reading glasses. I wonder Tony @TheBaron, perhaps that is my "signature" calling card, similar to Steve @Fritag's sinister glove and glasses? 🤪

I'll leave the Astir for a bit before checking if any further red is needed prior to lifting the masking tape for the great reveal.

Apart from a number of 1/72 gliders, a 1/72 QF-86 has also recently joined the production line on the bench. You have probably already spotted the drone theme, which I'm hoping to be ready for Telford.

IMG20211022160053 IMG20211022160137

The scheme I am planning is along the lines of this one, taken from Duncan Curtis's @Sabrejet's excellent publication on QF-86 drones. It's a great publication Duncan, and I plan to model a few more QF-86's!

IMG20211022160210

Apart from the drone collection building up, we also hope the QF-86 will be joining these soon:

IMG20211022160122

More soon.

Terry

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Call me....

...you're paranoid Terry....!! 🤣 

Me too though, I never trust myself not to get overspray either and end up using a ton of masking tape! 

I'm still looking for the 'I'm so jealous' icon about you getting to fly in that lovely little aeroplane! 

And talking about lovely - that's what your Sabre collection is - lovely little jets, all of them! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work Terry! It's amazing what the looming prospet of Telford does to people's productivity at this time of year.

Martian von Pot Calling The Kettle Black 👽

• Haha 3

So you got, at the same time, to fly and beautiful weather in England?? Lucky boy!

Proper job on the red trim (I hate overspray too, so no masking is excessive), and the  Saberjet drone looks great too - along with the rest of the collection :clap: :clap:

I have one in the stash myself to be done in Italian colors, I'll have to dig that out sometimes....

Ciao 

• Like 1