The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks Chris. Hope you enjoyed your time in Devon. It's a shame I hadn't picked up on your FAA museum visit earlier. It is less than an hours easy drive from my home, and I'm due another visit as soon as I can sort it. I could have met to say hi! Hope you enjoyed the visit.

Thanks Terry,  yes loved it down that part of the world, the FAA museum was wonderful,  been wanting to go for such a long time, could have done with longer and combined it with a family visit perhaps .  Maybe next time, we went on our way home so could only spend a few hours, still lots of photos taken especially of KD431 and bought the book too.  Fab day, it would have been great to say hi.

A great idea for the Vacform machine, I take it you have yet to hear back from the vendor ?

The canopy casting is interesting to watch and another thing on the I want to learn how to do list!!!

Chris

• Like 3

Lovely picture of yourself and the family Terry - you all look so wonderfully happy together!

Glad to see you got sorted regarding damage to the vacformer - you'll have tons of fun once it's up and running. It can also grill small pieces of cheese on toast. I did try it!

• Haha 3

On 8/27/2021 at 11:28 AM, bigbadbadge said:

I take it you have yet to hear back from the vendor ?

They did get back and are sending a new spindle, plus they gave me a part refund for the inconvenience. Good vendor I say.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:22 PM, TheBaron said:

Lovely picture of yourself and the family Terry - you all look so wonderfully happy together!

Glad to see you got sorted regarding damage to the vacformer - you'll have tons of fun once it's up and running. It can also grill small pieces of cheese on toast. I did try it!

Thanks Tony. We had a great few weeks when they all came. All quiet now!

So with the resin canopy buck casting, there is good news and bad news. The good news is I have produced a couple of good bucks, the bad news is I have now ruined the second good vac formed canopy that came with the kit! 😱

This shows where I am at. Left to right. First canopy cut (slightly undersized), first buck from first canopy, second (better) buck from first canopy, distorted second canopy (damaged when removing buck), first (and now only) back from second canopy. That last buck is the best of all. the shadow at the bottom front left does not impinge on the main part of the buck at all. The plan with that one is to re-cast from it using some silicone moulds, in order to have a few spare! Phew!

IMG20210828185935

I was surprised that I had so much trouble removing the buck from the second canopy, as that had not happened with the first. I think it was a combination of a tighter fit, plus I may have been a bit hasty removing it and not allowing the resin to set and shrink fractionally. So now I have no good kit supplied vac formed canopy. I'm going to have to make my own - no going back! I'm also considering making a female canopy mould in resin, in order to use that to produce another male buck in Mulliput. The rationale there is to see whether Millipt takes the heat from the thermoforming machine as well as or better than resin.

I'll be playing around with this a lot more over the next few days. It's obvs key for the Viking now (no way back) but in any case this is  something I have wanted to try and master for some time, as IMHO many older kits (and some newer) can be lifted by using a well produced vac formed canopy in place of a thick, unrealistic kit transparency. Steve's @Fritag's Hawk thread pioneered this stuff, and has become a bit of a benchmark for me certainly. 

Tomorrow is earmarked to try and finish the 1/48 Meteor I've been working on in the background, as well as some garden jobs, so more on the gliders in a few days.

Terry

• Like 9

Now that men no longer go out into the Savannah and wrestle lions as a rite of manhood, successfully vacforming a canopy is the new rite of passage Terry.

Sometimes I think lions would be the easier option though tbh....

Continued best of luck - you'll get there! 🤗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/28/2021 at 9:59 PM, TheBaron said:

Now that men no longer go out into the Savannah and wrestle lions as a rite of manhood, successfully vacforming a canopy is the new rite of passage Terry.

Sometimes I think lions would be the easier option though tbh....

Continued best of luck - you'll get there! 🤗

Thanks Tony. Still plodding away at producing/reproducing bucks, in search of perfection..........

On 8/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Shame that last canopy got damaged, but I agree with Tony, you'll definitely get there.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I am determined to get there!

A little more work lately on both the current gliders, first the Astir, and I must say the Brengun etch is rather superb.

Here you see some of the control levers, for various operations including spoilers, undercarriage retraction and canopy release. They are minute. Brengun give you five, you need three, and since this picture was taken I have "used" four. Yes, one got away.

IMG20210831145103

This one shows the seat and I/P just about painted up and ready to go inside. Maybe a little more cleaning up to do. Right hand (to pilot) lever in, left hand pair yet to be added.

IMG20210831143159

Here they are brought together. A test fit of the seat showed that the I/P can't be added after the seat goes in - no room to maneuver!

IMG20210831171321

And here is a shot taken earlier whilst test fitting the seat. The airframe has had a couple of very light coats of MRP White Primer. MRP paints continue to wow me every time.

IMG20210831153919

Onto the Viking and no more to show yet on canopy production (that could take a while) but the cockpit is coming together now.

The two largely scratched I/P's with the kit decals. Don't know why the right hand (front) looks so shiny and rough, it doesn't for real!

IMG20210831170359

And finally everything actually stuck in place. 

IMG20210831170859

Some clean up and satin varnish will happen to both cockpits.

Joy sticks in last.

More soon

Terry

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 6:15 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo good to see these coming together now  cockpits look great  Terry,  cracking job.

On 8/31/2021 at 6:43 PM, Procopius said:

That seat is a work of art.

On 8/31/2021 at 6:48 PM, Fritag said:

Seconded

On 9/1/2021 at 2:44 AM, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, fantastic Terry - I still like the blue seats best though

On 9/1/2021 at 3:43 PM, Maginot said:

Fantastic project.

Thanks all. flattery will get you everywhere!

Good news today. A package arrived in the post from China, and inside was a replacement spindle for the thermovacforming (is that a word?) machine.

This shows the old bent spindle (lower), with the new one above, as it should be. The bend was quite bad.

IMG20210909181407

The machine is now back together and we are ready to roll!

IMG20210909181852

Great service from the supplier in China, and I even got a small refund for the inconvenience of waiting, and I didn't have to ask for that either. That means this machine will now likely pay for itself in around 71 years instead of the original 75................

No actual work on the gliders worth showing at the moment as the last few days have had me blitzing the 1/48 Meteor to completion. I was just about there this afternoon when I noticed some blemishes on the L/E of the inner and outer port wing.

The picture shows the damage after I'd rubbed away most of the blemishes. They seem to have derived from the final coat of Humbrol satin varnish. I'm hoping to get away with cleaning them off and applying a very light dusting of varnish to the cleaned up area. Failing than I will have to carefully re spray the two affected areas with aluminium and revarnish. Repairing blemishes on aluminium/silver is a right pain!

IMG20210909185441

Will RFI that when done.

Meanwhile, I'm going to practice some vac forming!

More soon.

Terry

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The machine is now back together and we are ready to roll!

Great things are now expected :D

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Will RFI that when done.

Looking forward to that - V. impressive looking Meteor.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2021 at 7:05 PM, Terry1954 said:

The picture shows the damage after I'd rubbed away most of the blemishes. They seem to have derived from the final coat of Humbrol satin varnish. I'm hoping to get away with cleaning them off and applying a very light dusting of varnish to the cleaned up area. Failing than I will have to carefully re spray the two affected areas with aluminium and revarnish. Repairing blemishes on aluminium/silver is a right pain!

That's a nice Meteor, Terry :)

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2021 at 7:09 PM, Procopius said:

Just looks like good weathering to me, Terry!

Nice try, but I had to fix it, and fix it I did.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Meteor looks great Terry great work. 

Cracking service by Vacform machine vendor.  That's good to hear.

Good luck with the practice. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes, very good service i thought. Gave them a good reference on ebay. The practicing continues....

On 9/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, keefr22 said:

Lovely looking Meatbox Terry!

Thanks Keith!

On 9/10/2021 at 9:43 AM, Fritag said:

Great things are now expected :D

No pressure then, although a certain member of this audience has taught me immense patience in these matters pays off ....... what page is that twin Hawk build now ...🤔

On 9/10/2021 at 9:43 AM, Fritag said:

Looking forward to that - V. impressive looking Meteor.

I almost did the RFI this week, but then it was my Birthday, then i got taken to the boat show, and now I'm in Devon for a few days. Soon though I promise!

On 9/14/2021 at 11:59 AM, RidgeRunner said:

That's a nice Meteor, Terry :)

Thanks Martin!

So no more glider updates for a few days, as I'm typing this from my hotel balcony overlooking Sidmouth sea front, with beer of course 😉

Terry

• Like 6

Back on the case today, with the Astir...............

Seat and I/P are now firmly in place. The whole airframe has had a couple of light coats of MRP white primer - excellent paint I must say. Some small blemishes have been filled around the cockpit.

IMG20210920164659

And a quick shot of the I/P in place, with exposure wound right up to show the panel itself. I doubt this will be visible at all once we are all closed up 🙄.

IMG20210920164931

So all was going swimmingly well. I tidied up the canopy to get as best a fit as I could and then used some gap filling super glue. Rationale was that I'd done this many times before, and the glue would take some very careful sanding down around the edges.

I set everything aside to dry, and checking things about 30 minutes later I found that disaster had struck struck, in the form of the dreaded canopy frosting.....

IMG20210920174355

Not had this happen for a  very long time, 😬.  Time to walk away and think things through...........

Later, back on the case, I managed to get the canopy off without breakage which felt like a small miracle at least. You can see the damage ...

IMG20210920174841

I then spent a good while cleaning up both canopy and surrounding cockpit area, and tonight we have the canopy re-polished and sitting (unglued) back on the airframe

IMG20210920182722

I'm watching your Spitfire thread closely Steve @Fritag as you appear to be going through some similar challenges/decisions re canopy glue!

I think @giemme's suggestion of Gator's grip might work for me, as the canopy has some thickness at the edges. There will still need to be some minor filling and smoothing off though, so whatever I use needs to be able to take some punishment!

Time for a beer I think! 

More soon

Terry

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

tonight we have the canopy re-polished and sitting (unglued) back on the airframe

Good save Terry,

36 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm watching your Spitfire thread closely Steve @Fritag as you appear to be going through some similar challenges/decisions re canopy glue!

I’m probably going back again to (thick) cyano :rofl2:  

• Like 1

On 20/09/2021 at 19:56, Terry1954 said:

I think @giemme's suggestion of Gator's grip might work for me, as the canopy has some thickness at the edges. There will still need to be some minor filling and smoothing off though, so whatever I use needs to be able to take some punishment!

If the clear part comes from the kit (i.e. it's made of clear polystyrene), you may want to consider using TeT. 

Sleek looking glider, BTW :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1