The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

On 7/6/2021 at 7:09 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo that cockpit detail you have created in the twin tub is fantastic Terry,  that has really come together, fingers crossed for the canopy cutting. 

Thanks Chris. The impending canopy work feels like last chance saloon!

On 7/6/2021 at 7:20 PM, Martian said:

Now the smart Earthling of which I still entertain hopes you are one; would, in addition to signing Mrs Martian's application forms (thus avoiding the press gang) slip the 1/72 Blanik in question into that large red box that you know you need from the big H (other suppliers are available) and Mrs Terry need know nothing about it!

Martian (Cunning plans a speciality) 👽

Nice idea Martian, it might work......

On 7/6/2021 at 9:08 PM, Hamden said:

Hope to see you there

Stay safe           Roger

Fingers crossed Roger.

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful interior scratch work Terry, those futuristic rounded IP consoles look great and can't be an easy shape to scratch/modify.

Thanks Cookie, they are quite small to work with, but I have a plan to fair the front one in as per the real deal.

Thanks all for your comments. Watching the England game tonight meant zero work done on the Gliders, but it was worth it .............. in the end!

Terry

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Some lovely detail going into these cockpits - at least it will be visible once the build is complete! 😁

Thanks Matt. I'm guessing you are alluding to that neat work you have done in the Vulcan cockpit, which will be pretty hard to see!

Terry

• Like 1

Really nice work scratching the Grob-pit. Great choice of subjects, too, and tiny little buggers at that! You couldn't find them in a smaller scale?     :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Where are the propellers?

• Haha 3

This is a fun thread.  Love how they are going.

Only glider kits I have are several Horsas, a Waco and a Hamilcar.

I got a flight in a glider as part of a Teaching Aerospace class at Montana State University.  Class was designed for mainly Science Teachers to add Aerospace aspects into their classes.

Other high point was my first and only Estes rocket which successfully launched.  It was odd being the only "student" in the class but I probably new more about what we studied than most of the teachers.

The high point was the glider flight though no idea what model it was.  I need to dig out what few pics I took.

Might have to try a couple of these.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 3:09 AM, Navy Bird said:

Really nice work scratching the Grob-pit. Great choice of subjects, too, and tiny little buggers at that! You couldn't find them in a smaller scale?     :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Where are the propellers?

Thanks Bill. Actually you can get gliders in 1/144, by Mark 1 models, and I have detailed smaller cockpits like this 1/144 Mig-21UM I'm working on. Yes, I am quite mad!

As for the lack of propellers, what are they for.............🤪

IMG20200914110819 (1)

On 7/11/2021 at 11:20 AM, robgizlu said:

Terry - just read this tthrough from the start

Super Slick work!!

Rob

Thanks Rob and welcome aboard!

On 7/13/2021 at 4:16 PM, TheBaron said:

Simply divine Terry. Lovely catching up with that luscious cockpit work too. 👏

Thanks Tony. Cockpits are always a challenge to be risen to and outside of the cockpit there is not much else to tax ones skill on these kits!

7 hours ago, philp said:

This is a fun thread.  Love how they are going.

Thanks Philip. You should try one, they are fun. And yes, dig out those pictures, I'd like to see them.

So, to the Grob...........

I spent a pleasant few hours this morning adding more detail to the cockpit, firstly the Spoiler and trim levers. These are made from fine wire and should pass muster with a bit of paint.

IMG20210716110402

Front ones first

IMG20210716111317

Then the rear

IMG20210716111719

Then I drilled a couple of pin holes into the right hand cockpit side walls to take what look like they might be the canopy release levers:

IMG20210716112515

Finally head rests and I/Ps test fitted to make sure all is well in there

IMG20210716122034 IMG20210716123537

I think it's time to get some primer into the cockpit and then start picking out the detail with paint. I'll do the I/Ps before they are fitted of course.

Meanwhile I need to get back to the canopy and have a second attempt at cutting one to fit. You may recall I'm less than satisfied with the fit of the first. Current thinking is to do the canopy closed, as it's pretty clear and much of the inside will be seen. Open canopies on this one could be a challenge as the front and rear open independent of each other leaving a section of arch shaped canopy frame between the two. That would be a very small and challenging frame to construct. 

Next time you see this one should be with cockpit primed and painted.

More soon

Terry

• Like 15

On 7/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, keefr22 said:

Lovely work Terry, that all looks tremendous!

That Mig 'pit is pretty neat too!

Keith

Thanks Keith. I'll RFI the Mig when it's finally done. It is an Eduard 1/144 MF converted to a UM using the Retrowings conversion.

On 7/16/2021 at 6:18 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes very nice cockpit details, can't wait to see the paint going on .

Great work Terry 

Chris

Thanks Chris. No paint just yet, it's too hot today!

On 7/17/2021 at 8:11 AM, Hamden said:

Very nice work on the cockpit Terry looking forward to seeing them in paint

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks Roger.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:33 AM, perdu said:

That is all becoming fine and dandy in there Terry, cor.

Thanks Bill, glad you approve.

23 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Cor indeed.

John

Thanks Indeed John!

So as I mentioned above its just too hot to do any airbrushing so I did a bit of work on the Astir this morning. No need to scratch build any cockpit parts on this one, thanks to the excellent Brengun set:

20210718_101257

She was looking rather splendid first thing this morning .............

20210718_101247

......... until I spotted something with the wings that I had missed before. The next two pictures just about show it. The port wing leading edge is slightly out, and needs to come forward fractionally from the tip in order to line up with the starboard wing.

20210718_104740

20210718_104947

Couldn't live with that, someone was bound to spot it eventually and once I had, I just had to deal with it.

Out came the superglue remover which sort of worked, but the wing attachment tab sheared off also in the slight struggle to separate the offending wing.

Look away those of a nervous disposition!

20210718_105456

So the plan will involve a brass pin and a suitable hole plus the concoction of a jig similar to last time but which ensures alignment in three dimensions!

Given the sunshine today, and what with wifey sitting in the garden painting with her watercolours and G&T close to hand, I am so tempted to join her................. for the drinking bit, not the watercolours!

Can't see much more getting done this afternoon........

More soon though!

Terry

• Like 11

1 hour ago, 621Andy said:

Well the wings are designed to be de-rigged🤣

Not quite like that methinks!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Glad that happened on the ground and not a few thousand feet up Terry.....!! :)

Keith

A very disconcerting observation Keith!

1 hour ago, 621Andy said:

Well the wings are designed to be de-rigged🤣

Great work!

Thanks, and yes, they are, but with somewhat more skill than I used there no doubt!

8 minutes ago, Martian said:

Not quite like that methinks!

Martian 👽

My thoughts exactly.

Despite my lazy afternoon in the garden, sipping various alcoholic beverages, I have designed and half constructed a new model wing assembly jig. All will be revealed soon.

Terry

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Despite my lazy afternoon in the garden, sipping various alcoholic beverages, I have designed and half constructed a new model wing assembly jig. All will be revealed soon.

I hope that now the after effects of said beverages have worn off, the jig still looks like it'll work as designed, and not put the wing in place back to front and upside down.....!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 4

On 19/07/2021 at 07:51, keefr22 said:

I hope that now the after effects of said beverages have worn off, the jig still looks like it'll work as designed, and not put the wing in place back to front and upside down.....!! 🤣

That thought occurred to me too Keith, but I have every confidence in Terry! 😁 🍹

Best to double check it though...! 🤣

• Haha 2

On 7/18/2021 at 8:25 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

Sounds like a good afternoon! 😁

It was!

7 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

That thought occurred to me too Keith, but I have every confidence in Terry! 😁 🍹

Best to double check it though...! 🤣

Commendable confidence Matt!

On 7/18/2021 at 9:21 PM, Navy Bird said:

You could always do a what-if scissor wing glider...      :)

Cheers,

Bill

Now that's a thought 🤔

On 7/18/2021 at 9:29 PM, bigbadbadge said:

A real shame about that wing, hope the jig works okay and you're back on track with it. Mind you a pleasant afternoon sipping Gz&T sounds wonderful,  I was clearing out my garage!!! Crikey it was hot!

Chris

Yes a bit of a hiccup, and my afternoon definitely sounded preferable to yours!

On 7/19/2021 at 7:51 AM, keefr22 said:

Keith

Fortunately Keith, the jig was only actually designed that afternoon with a brief proof of concept following.

Here is the general drift :

IMG20210720174609

Wing supports are old paper binding plastic "tubes". They are sort of tear drop shaped in cross section.Lines drawn on the old cutting mat are all perpendicular. The picture is a shot before I secure everything. I plan to stick more masking tape to the mat, below the white supports, then superglue the supports in place onto just the tape - That way I can get them off the mat easily for re-use as the multifunctional, all size glider wing jig. Maybe I could market these ........... 🤔

There is a leading edge line you can't see, to help alignment. There is also a small white fillet of plastic at the rear of the port wing root, that helped correct the leading edge alignment. Brass pin is in there somewhere.

When I'm happy with the lineup, I'll use superglue, then milliput to join/fill the root in place. I may need some trailing edge support at the inner root, just to make sure both wings have same chord incline.

Simples!

Will report back when all is fixed.

Terry

• Like 10