The great 1/72 Glider build - more Air Cadet flying machines

3 hours ago, junglierating said:

This is interesting....got to be honest as an ex matelot and AE branch I was an air cadet and earnt my gliding wings on a motorised glider with a vw engine.....what were they called....Venture????

That's the one! Prop brake under the instrument panel.

If some young whippersnapper starts bragging about how they soloed with only 10 hours I tell them I soloed with 3 hours and had to shut the engine down on downwind. That stops 'em!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, junglierating said:

This is interesting....got to be honest as an ex matelot and AE branch I was an air cadet and earnt my gliding wings on a motorised glider with a vw engine.....what were they called....Venture????

If it was fabric covered and had a single main wheel and looks like my avatar it was a Venture. If it was plastic with two mainwheels it was a Vigilant - both had versions of the VW engine.

• Like 1

Thanks to @Martian @Back in the Saddle @bigbadbadge @Brandy  and @junglierating for your comments and interest.

Seems like all the folk who had some of their first experiences in gliders have come out of the woodwork! I got my wings in a proper glider (no engine 🤨) so I reckon many of you are a tad younger to have got yours on a Venture. All ground winched launches, so you guys missed all the fun of dropping the cable with drogue on release, to see if you could hit the winch cage! Checking my log book I solo'd after 29 launches in total, so at between 4 and 5 minutes a launch, one or two a tad longer with some thermal lift, around 2.5 hours. Very happy days courtesy 615 Gliding school at RAF Kenley during March 1971.

So, as the Slingsby Venture seems a popular "glider" here, and cos I'm such a nice bloke, we will tag this one onto the grand build schedule. I'd made a start some years ago as you can see, new cockpit floor added but not much else:

IMG20210615100841 IMG20210615101133 IMG20210615101007

And finally, just for @Aeronut, Heritage Aviation did do a Grob Vigilant, so if I can lay my hands on that one, I'll throw that into the mix. I must say I rather like the look of that one!

206244-17841-85-pristine

We could be here for years!

Terry

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

How many are you building now Terry - is it potentially six...?

I had to think about that for a bit! Adding the Venture, it is six. 

1. The current Grob Viking as Air Cadets (UK)

2. The Slingsby T.53B Phoenix Air Cadets (UK or Canadian)

3. The Slingsby Cadet Mk 1 Air Cadets (UK)

4. Grunau Baby II - to be modified to become a Slingsby T30 Prefect Air Cadets (UK)

5. Grunau Baby II - exact version undecided

6. Slingsby Venture T2 - Air Cadets (UK)

If I do acquire a Vigilant, it will be seven!

Oh, and I should mention a small package is en-route from Hannants with these two in. I'm not old enough to have flown the Eton! The second one is a 1/72 Grob Astir by KP:

SH72442 KPM72133

I'll add these to the list eventually!

Terry

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Good grief you're a machine 

56 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

So, as the Slingsby Venture seems a popular "glider" here, and cos I'm such a nice bloke, we will tag this one onto the grand build schedule

And very modest too!!!

Very interesting machines these are. 

Great job so far. Be interesting to see the full VW engine on display too!!!

I'll get my coat 🧥

Chris

• Haha 3

On 6/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Great job so far. Be interesting to see the full VW engine on display too!!!

Thanks Chris. Don't hold out too many hopes for a VW engine!

Terry

• Haha 3

On 15/06/2021 at 11:14, Terry1954 said:

KPM72133

You could add a scale @corsaircorp to that one! On second thoughts, a sign reading "In naughty corner, back sometime, maybe. CC" would be more accurate. :evil_laugh:

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Sorry, Terry, but I missed all this. There are some great things going on here :). As a former air cadet this all brings back memories (not always good ;) ). Keep up the good work.

Martin

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Martian said:

You could add a scale @corsaircorp to that one! On second thoughts, a sign reading "In naughty corner, back sometime, maybe. CC" would be more accurate. :evil_laugh:

Martian 👽

Hello Terry !!

Great thread, I'll take a seat if you don't mind it, or a stool at the bar to be precise....

I'll look in my files, but instead of trying to have an acceptable rendition of my ugly mug, put some empty bottles of rocket fuel beside the glider....

Believe it or not, it will be realistic... Just saying....

Now, if the naughty corner is involved, you can have a rendition of our empty bottle made pyramid...

@72modeler and I are proud of this achievement...

@The Spadgent will paint it in YZC to make it a bit more attractive to the tourist....

Who ? me ? calmed down ??

Now Terry, I'll look since I should have some pics...

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 6/18/2021 at 12:39 AM, cngaero said:

I'll get strapped in if you don't mind, this is going to be an interesting journey.

Great progress so far. I can't wait to see theses

all completed.

Thanks Chris and welcome.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:13 AM, T-21 said:

Brilliant project long overdue well done.

Thanks, good to see you here again!

On 6/18/2021 at 7:17 AM, Martian said:

You could add a scale @corsaircorp to that one!

Now why didn't I think of that!

On 6/18/2021 at 10:41 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Sorry, Terry, but I missed all this.

No worries Martin, glad to have you along. This thread seems to attract ex ATC Cadets!

On 6/18/2021 at 11:45 AM, corsaircorp said:

Great thread, I'll take a seat if you don't mind it, or a stool at the bar to be precise....

Welcome CC! Glad you can join me, and as you can see the Belgian Air Cadet machine is on the list!

Nothing more to show on the Viking at present, as I'm still busy refining the cockpit and redesigning the seats and I/P's. Not much of  the original interior is left!

I have also started to search for information on the Slingsby Prefect, which you will recall is to be created from one of the Granau Baby's. The main difference between the original Granau design and Slingsby's modification seem to be slightly extended wing span with different tips, and the addition of a single wheel undercarriage just behind the under nose skid arrangement, very similar to what I did on the T31. If anyone has any plans or information on the Prefecto, please shout, as any help is appreciated. For those interested this link has a pictures of a Prefect, plus T21, T31, Swallow, Venture and Grasshopper. http://www.621vgs.co.uk/historicflight/aircraft2.php

More on the Viking and the Prefect soon.

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I instructed on the Venture at RAF Henlow from 1981 to 1990  gaining 920hours on type. Also did the first conversion into the Vigilant till 1993 gaining 165 hours. I.look at the Cadet entries in my many log books and wonder how many joined the RAF or an aviation career. These builds are inspiring to past and present Air Cadets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Please excuse my joining the view.  I was never in the ATC, but in 1961 I was doing my National Service in the RAF at RAF Hendon.  At the time the ATC were holding their annual Summer Camp on the airfield, this included glider flying,  My job was flying a desk as a clerk in Station HQ, and so I met many of the ATC staff during my work. One lunchtime I was invited to go for a flight with them, as I had never flown in a glider,  I wandered across the airfield to the the launch point where I met my pilot and I almost chickened out, because he had an artificial leg.  I am not sure what type of glider it was, but it had side by side seating and it had a high wing, I think we were launched by a winch.  Because the airfield was under the approach for RAF Northolt our altitude was rather limited, and so we were not up very long, but it was long enough for me, the flight was most enjoyable and we got a good view, it was one to add to my long list of aircraft I had flown in.    Robin.     

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 8:02 AM, Brandy said:

I got mine in a Venture at RAF Newton. I think my instructor's name was Mike Throstle.

Great memories.

Ooohh, now you are talking! I got my wings flying a Venture. I did a weeks intensive course (a week off school learning to fly a glider, can't beat it). We were accommodated at RAF Newton, but did the flying from RAF Syerston.

Mike Throssell, he was my instructor too. Great bloke.

Epic project, this. Now a Venture is added, I'm on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I must look at WIP more often, I've only just found this.

I was one of the ' you can't put an engine on it and still call it a glider ' brigade when the talk of a powered 'glider' for the ATC started. By the time the plans came to fruition I had moved to Bournemouth and joined the Dorset Gliding Club and was paying for my gliding. Several of my fellow instructors saw it as a cheap way to a PPL or using the hours flown to maintain a current license. I don't know if that happened, perhaps @T-21 knows the answer.

There seem to be a lot of dials, knobs and switches there for the average 16 year old cadet. When I first saw a Prefect I was a staff cadet at Sealand and was told I could not fly it as I might be confused by the extra instruments, but when I pointed out that I had a PPL ( courtesy of the ATC ) I was allowed to try it.

You've made a courageous start with the Dremelling, good luck with the rest.

Stay safe.

John

PS: I'm really waiting for the 'Grasshopper'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, T-21 said:

I instructed on the Venture at RAF Henlow from 1981 to 1990  gaining 920hours on type. Also did the first conversion into the Vigilant till 1993 gaining 165 hours. I.look at the Cadet entries in my many log books and wonder how many joined the RAF or an aviation career. These builds are inspiring to past and present Air Cadets.

I was a Civilian Instructor on the staff of 612 VGS and we used to take our Vigilants to RIAT for display (and against all the rules of RIAT, letting kids sit in them). I was talking to parents whilst the Staff Cadets showed their kiddies the aircraft when I was approached by an RAF Wing Commander who said " Hello Sir you taught me to fly" I had to admit I didn't remember him as he was one of many for me whilst I was the only one for him.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, T-21 said:

I was one who did. 10,000hrs and now an Instructor on Embraer 145 and King Air 350 with CAE in Abu Dhabi.

Ian

• Like 4

Terry, this looks like the thread we’ve all been waiting for :D So many memories being re-awakened.

Seeing the Venture reminded me I did a 1 week gliding course at Tibenham in the summer of ‘81, before starting at Cranwell in the October.  It was all done on a motor glider very like (in my memory) to the Venture (altho’ I don’t think they had a Venture there until later).

17 years old and flushed with the confidence of having twice passed the pilot aptitude tests at Biggin Hill (test-in-advance at age 16 and then again at the actual application testing earlier in the year)….Anyways a few hours in the motor glider trying to co-ordinate turns and keep the slip ball in the middle brought me back down to earth (sic) and made me realise I wasn’t somehow going to be god’s gift to aviation after all! :D

I went to Cranwell a little bit chastened.  P’raps it put me in the right frame of mind for the selection carnage that was the flying selection squadron on the chippie at Swinderby 

• Like 4

Morning Terry, another here playing catch up, really enjoyable thread - again! I didn't do very much gliding in the ATC, Welsh weather always seemed to conspire against us, but what I did do I really enjoyed - open cockpit, wind (and rain!) in your hair, great!!  My daughter and family now live close to Lasham and I enjoy watching these modern, sleek flying machines coming in to land so gracefully (much more gracefully than many of my powered machine landings!) and silently. I'm also fascinated watching the aerotows that frequently pass over their house - would love a go at that!!

So following along with interest, there'll be some more lovely gliders to add to your collection at the end - whenever that may be! :)

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm tagging along on this one too...

Ex Staff Cadet/CI at 621. G1(Cadet flying in the Barge😍) on wood, then C-Cat on the Viking. I'm also a member of 621HF and fly our fleet at our current location(We've had a few🙄) of Nympsfield whenever I get over to the UK.

I have some pics of the Prefect(I just need to find them...), and just to add to the fun you could do a Swallow and an ASK-21 Vanguard too whilst you're on a run. Oh and then there's the ASW-19 Valiant and the Janus C (Which I don't think had a VGS name🤫). Plenty to keep you busy🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1