Revell 1/32 Hawker Hunter

Hi Folks

My next project.  To resume where I left off in approx May 2000 having to stop the hobby (I think a 3-4 month old daughter is fair reason).

The kit is exactly how I left it, and the build is going to throw up a few challenges for me.

1. Picking up from where I left off is a wee bit harder than I thought.
  2. Ive done very little PE in the past and as you can see from the below pic there is a lots of it. This includes attaching PE to clear parts (after a shout out though I have had some very good advice from other members regarding this, thank you)
  3. Its a long way off but I think the decals may pose a bit of a problem.

Im always up for a challenge though so onward and upwards.

I would like to depict XG228 (56), 79 Sqdn of 1 TWU RAF Brawdy 1980's, for sentimental reasons as well as it was the last ever serving Hunter in the Royal Air Force.

Enough waffle

As you can see lots of PE, a bit of white metal (yuk).  The ejection seat from memory was an Airwaves resin.

spacer.png

Decals are not in particularly good condition though this pic makes them look a whole lot better than they are.

spacer.png

Bit of a closer image which gives a better idea of the condition

spacer.png

Ive also put a shout out on wanted for a long discontinued decal set from Xtradecal (X32-005).  Don't hold out much hope so will be another challenge to the list, creating a 1/32 Sqn crest and my masking skills for the other bits.

Will keep you posted

Take care and safe all

Si 

• Like 6

Wow! That's a long lay off, I hope your 21-year-old appreciates the pause in proceedings 😂

I think this kit is the best jet Revell has produced in this scale, and the Flightpath PE really adds an intricate level of detail.

I'll be following...

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Wow! That's a long lay off, I hope your 21-year-old appreciates the pause in proceedings 😂

I think this kit is the best jet Revell has produced in this scale, and the Flightpath PE really adds an intricate level of detail.

I'll be following...

Alan

Thanks Alan 

It was a long delay indeed. She does actually and surprisingly appreciate it though😱. Takes a great interest and wanting to send pictures all the time to her friends, not only in the UK but Germany and the US. I cannot complain at all bless her.

Struggling to put the bits from all that time ago that are loose into their rightful place. Flightpath kits are superb quality but unfortunately their instructions are a bit difficult to understand. Will get there though

Thanks again 

Si

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey that is a long break, good luck with your build,  I have one of these in the stash to do as a GA11 FRADU machine so will tag along if I may.

Chris

You certainly may Chris and if I should come across any difficulties I will let you know. The kit itself though looks really really nice, even without any updates

Thanks 

Si

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Dyer said:

You certainly may Chris and if I should come across any difficulties I will let you know. The kit itself though looks really really nice, even without any updates

Thanks 

Si

Excellent thanks Simon the kit does look very nice,  I have the Flightpath set too. 

Looforward to this

Chris

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent thanks Simon the kit does look very nice,  I have the Flightpath set too. 

Looforward to this

Chris

You are very welcome Chris.

Do you have the whole Flightpath set, gun pack, access ladder & towbar?

Si 

4 minutes ago, Simon Dyer said:

You are very welcome Chris.

Do you have the whole Flightpath set, gun pack, access ladder & towbar?

Si 

Hi Simon

I have the GA11 kit which has the Etch for the cockpit and airframe , a new tailpipe some other white metal bits , I will have to dig it out and check now , I am doing an FAA builds thread so will be doing it at some point in the near future. 

Chris

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Simon

I have the GA11 kit which has the Etch for the cockpit and airframe , a new tailpipe some other white metal bits , I will have to dig it out and check now , I am doing an FAA builds thread so will be doing it at some point in the near future. 

Chris

Ok no probs Chris 👍👍

Si

• Like 1

Hi Folks

Cockpit tub and seat complete.  The control panel & throttle are from Flightpath, nice quality but the instructions are a lot to be desired.

I dry fitted the tub to the front fuselage halves before fitting the control panel and it was spot on.  However, after fitting the control panel I have quite large gaps, though it doesn't look like its that thats causing the problem.

Will cross that bridge when I come to it and let you know

KTKAxA.jpg

17YJGH.jpg

T9wIPQ.jpg

OTxX8o.jpg

Czxk0J.jpg

9Q6yhF.jpg

Never been a great fan of this type of picture, taken on a smart phone, as you have very little control. I feel it looks a lot better in the flesh so to speak  Will have to get by big camera out and start doing it that way I think.

Hope you like so far

Take care

Si

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Looks like a great return to the hobby Si!

Thanks Matt

Ive been back into the hobby now for 18 months plus.  It was just after my last build I was a bit undecided what to do.  I narrowed it down to three kits and asked friends and family to choose for me, the Hunter came out on top, so I resumed that. My first kit I did when I started back was an Airfix 1/24 Hurricane.  Not sure if Ive posted it on here as Ive not been a member for that long.

Thanks again

Si

27 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo this looks fantastic,  I was going to start mine a while ago and the instructions put me off , once I have done the current ones, I might give it a go

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Graham T said:

I used the Flightpath cockpit & if I'm honest it is not a huge improvement over the kit parts.  Bit of a waste of effort & not a brilliant fit either!

I agree.  Im going to use the rest of the set as I want the flaps & air brake slightly lowered.  Will see what happens

The worst though is the instructions, they are awful

Very nice work Si. Keep at it man.

Some very nice DIY work there enhancing the cockpit.

Photos look OK but if the big camera makes even better then wow.

Laurie

6 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Very nice work Si. Keep at it man.

Some very nice DIY work there enhancing the cockpit.

Photos look OK but if the big camera makes even better then wow.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie much appreciated. 

Will get the big camera out and give it a go. As with a lot of things nowadays using the phone camera is convenient and quick but not always the best.

Going to be doing another post shortly so will give it a try.

Thanks again 

Si

On 6/11/2021 at 4:53 PM, Simon Dyer said:

Thanks Alan 

It was a long delay indeed. She does actually and surprisingly appreciate it though😱. Takes a great interest and wanting to send pictures all the time to her friends, not only in the UK but Germany and the US. I cannot complain at all bless her.

Struggling to put the bits from all that time ago that are loose into their rightful place. Flightpath kits are superb quality but unfortunately their instructions are a bit difficult to understand. Will get there though

Thanks again 

Si

She sounds very sweet. You are blessed. And here it is Father's Day. I will follow your build with delight. The Flightpath stuff is beautiful.

Oh, I forgot to mention.... If the decals are prone to breaking up after being soaked (and being old, of course) try this, which I read elsewhere.... and I don't know where.

Spray a coat of Future (clear acrylic) on them first to strengthen them.

2 minutes ago, SallysDad said:

Oh, I forgot to mention.... If the decals are prone to breaking up after being soaked (and being old, of course) try this, which I read elsewhere.... and I don't know where.

Spray a coat of Future (clear acrylic) on them first to strengthen them.

Thanks SallysDad

When  you say Future is that whats currently known as Pledge which I use before I apply decals, think it was once called Klear? Excuse my ignorance 

Thanks again 

Si