AIP 1/350 Thunderbird 2

I got stupidly excited when these reissues were announced and knew I had to get some.

This took me all the way back to Tuesday Evenings at 6:00PM on Grampian TV. The only time I was allowed to have dinner in the living room as my Mum and I sat down to watch Thunderbirds.

I still have really vivid memories of the series 2 "Attack of the Alligators" which scared me more that Doctor Who.

I only had one issue with the kit and that was purely my doing. I got lazy and used the kit decals for the engines. When I was then putting them on the kit the fit was so tight that, despite being clear coated the decal tore and lifted.

So, it was back to painting and masking.

Primed with Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey.

Painted with Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green, LP-21 Italian Red, X-10 Gun Metal, XF-3 Flat Yellow, XF-69 Nato Black, XF-57 Buff for pre-shade mottling and Vallejo Steel.

Thunderbird 4 was XF-3 Flat Yellow with a drop or 2 of Clear Red

A wee bit of Citadel Nuln Oil Wash for the engines and grills.

Finished with Windsor & Newton Satin Varnish.

As I was taking the photos I realised I hadn't removed the masking on the windows and when I did saw that the Krystal Klear had smeared a bit on the inside.

Looks OK from a foot away.

Ul4NWjH.jpg

nhfYo8t.jpg

5vL7uuE.jpg

ou5N6IN.jpg

pTNIxfZ.jpg

2Rv7wBC.jpg

14MTzrs.jpg

CireBJ4.jpg

t0JSaMc.jpg

cUdEkxh.jpg

b78yaWv.jpg

Gy7UF6i.jpg

AO5JxKw.jpg

I had an absolute blast building this and am looking forward to the Thunderbird 1 and Fireflash that I got at the same time.

I also have the SHED Models Thunderbird 3 to do at some time. It's been hanging around in the stash since I bought it at Wonderland Models in 1991.

Anyway enough waffle,

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic (I was going to say FAB but thought better of it) stuff Alistair. I too have fond memories of watching Thunderbirds on Grampian at my granny’s house. A little later, Grampian started showing them on Saturday mornings and it was about the only thing that would get me out of my bed! 

looking forward to seeing the rest of the IR fleet!

Craig. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Looks great to me.

Thanks so much.

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Fantastic (I was going to say FAB but thought better of it) stuff Alistair. I too have fond memories of watching Thunderbirds on Grampian at my granny’s house. A little later, Grampian started showing them on Saturday mornings and it was about the only thing that would get me out of my bed! 

looking forward to seeing the rest of the IR fleet!

Craig. 

Thanks Craig,

I'll get round to them eventually. 😉

Cheers,

Alistair

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, AliGauld said:

As I was taking the photos I realised I hadn't removed the masking on the windows and when I did saw that the Krystal Klear had smeared a bit on the inside.

Looks OK from a foot away.

My condolences. We've all been there.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Thats a good colour for TB2, lovely build!

Thanks so much but I really can't take the credit for the colour.

It was your suggestion on another thread in here regarding colour for this. So, Thanks again.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1