Good evening all,

Tonight I have for you the start of my first build for a GB! Originally I was planning on entering the Airfix 1/72 Blenheim, but I realized a number of others would be doing the same, and in any case, I managed to ruin the kit beyond redemption today while trying to install a CMK resin bomb-bay upgrade. (I was convinced this would happen and tried anyways. I should trust myself more often!

As a backup, I have the Hawker Typhoon Bristol 138A! Maybe it's just me, but from the side, the fuselage looks quite similar to the later British fighter-bomber.

Bristol 138A

This is the Airlines boxing of the FROG kit from the early 60's - a kit I am surprised exists, even understanding the range of kits produced by FROG and Matchbox in those days. Needless to say, it is simple, and mine is unfortunately covered in sink marks opposite of the alignment pegs. So far, I've added some detail to the cockpit - an extended floor, framing, control stick, instrument panel, and side console. Additionally, some detail was added to the radiator, though it's spurious at best. The engine is going to be replaced with one from an old Heller Gladiator that was never finished due to paint and gloss problems. 

Unfortunately, my new Camera seems entirely disinterested in making any attempt to focus on the parts of this kit, irrespective of lighting. For now, this is what I have -

Bristol 138A

Bristol 138A

Shortly after these photos were taken, the insides were painted and the halves joined. Tomorrow, the tail surfaces and wings will be constructed, but not before I spray the final flat coat on a Hind, decal a P-26, and order a replacement Blenheim. After all, I have 2 decal sets, a mask set, and resin parts that need to be used.

Does anyone know of any rare Bristol types that I may be able to pick up for the rest of this GB?

Thanks all, Tweener

• Like 8

Just so you know in future. We are not supposed to start the build until the twelfth which is Saturday.  However there normally is a 25% rule which you should be under anyway.

The project looks different and interesting.  I look forward to seeing the finished model.

2 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Just so you know in future. We are not supposed to start the build until the twelfth which is Saturday.  However there normally is a 25% rule which you should be under anyway.

The project looks different and interesting.  I look forward to seeing the finished model.

I must have misread - I had thought it began on the 5th. In that case, it will be on hold for a few days while I finish other projects that I should really focus on anyways.

Hi @Tweener

Airfix do the Bulldog, F.2B, Blenheim, Beaufighter, Belvedere and Beaufort

Frog / Revell Blenheim 

Scalemates best bet, vacform Bristol Monoplane if your feeling adventurous  !

Best of luck

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 11/06/2021 at 03:57, Tweener said:

Does anyone know of any rare Bristol types that I may be able to pick up for the rest of this GB?

Bombay, Buckingham, Buckmaster, Brigand, Brabazon, Britannia, Sycamore, Scout, M.1

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=all_aircraft_kits&code=&scale_id=&keyword_search=bristol&setPerPage=100&stock=1&sort=price&search_direction=asc&restore_search=&save_search_active=yes&save_search_name=&save_search=

Nice early start there @Tweener, don't worry mate, I'm sure most of us have jumped he gun once or twice in the past. 

I've got one of these Novo edition kits, however the canopy is moulded in a weird blue tinge clear plastic and I'm constantly looking for a set of OOP Rising Sun decals - without much success 😞

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

I built this as an original Frog kit n the 70's when I was little.  First kit I painted properly.  It was so striking in black and silver and so very very big compared to my Airfix and Matchbox Spitfires and Focke Wolfs.  Looking forward to seeing this one done.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:34 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Tweener

Airfix do the Bulldog, F.2B, Blenheim, Beaufighter, Belvedere and Beaufort

Frog / Revell Blenheim 

Scalemates best bet, vacform Bristol Monoplane if your feeling adventurous  !

Best of luck

Cheers Pat 

On 6/12/2021 at 8:50 PM, Black Knight said:

I ended up obtaining a Mark II Beaufighter and I may have a Mark V on the way this week as well... that would make for an interesting double build!

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice early start there @Tweener, don't worry mate, I'm sure most of us have jumped he gun once or twice in the past. 

I've got one of these Novo edition kits, however the canopy is moulded in a weird blue tinge clear plastic and I'm constantly looking for a set of OOP Rising Sun decals - without much success 😞

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

I've heard that was often the case with NOVO - either Yellow or Blue canopies. I know the canopy of my Proctor is slightly yellow as well.
The good news concerning this one is that the canopy is surprisingly clear. At first I was hoping to avoid detailing the cockpit but after seeing it, I knew I had no choice.

A quick update - 

I have just attached the remainder of the Horizontal Stabilizers and Elevators and finished my initial filling and sanding of the various sink marks along the fuselage. One wing has been built and the other will soon follow.

Bristol 138A

In more exciting news, I have obtained my second entry to this GB - the High Planes 1/72 Beaufighter Mark II(F).

HP BeauMk.II

Needless to say, the kit is a little rough, but so far cleaning it up has been easy and I think that I should be able to get it together okay. I hope to finish this one as an FAA machine from later in the war.

In even better news, I have reserved a kit of the High Planes Mark V as well! That will ship from Singapore in about 2 weeks. In the meantime, I've got a Tiger Moth, Peashooter, Hind, Mustang, and the 138 to work on or complete.

Thanks all,

Tweener

• Like 6

Another small update today -

The wings of the Bristol 138A are now installed - fit was positive and only a little bit of super glue was used as filled on the underside of one wing. There is

a tiny bit of a step on the top of the right wing, as seen in the photo, but it's so small that I'm unlikely to make any effort to correct it.  Next is the landing gear.

138A Wings Attached

While that dried, I finally made progress on that Matchbox Triple Build as well, and finally assembled the Gladiator.

Gladiator

Now I just need to paint the three kits and decide on markings. My summer modelling budget has been used up, so I will have to make do with options that

are already in the stash. The Siskin will be easy, but the Fury and Gladiator options that I have are somewhat plain, so decals for those might be put off for a time.

Thanks all,

Tweener

• Like 8

That 138 is coming up really well and I’m sure you’ve now realised how big it is in comparison to most other single seat aircraft. That Matchbox Gladiator also brings back fond memories of when I built one aged (approx) 9 and smothered all the lovely detail with thick coats of Humbrol 11. 

Cheers.. Dave 

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That 138 is coming up really well and I’m sure you’ve now realised how big it is in comparison to most other single seat aircraft. That Matchbox Gladiator also brings back fond memories of when I built one aged (approx) 9 and smothered all the lovely detail with thick coats of Humbrol 11. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I'm mostly surprised by the fact that it makes a Blenheim / Beaufighter look modest in size, but I also find it interesting that the 138A's main competitor was a comparatively small, unpressurized bi-plane, the Ca-161. I may have to track down a kit of one, as well as of the Junkers 49, for a small collection of record-breaking aircraft.

• Like 1