Unusual vehicle spotted.(another one).

stevej60

Hi folk's,my job takes me out to Cumbria every month with the drive back passing the Warcop ranges,sadly

it's rare to see anything bar a few Land Rovers or Man trucks there but today parked up was a shiny new

vehicle in sand paintwork which I took at first glance to be a Jackal till the right angle showed an enclosed cab.

I've had a look on google and the nearest I could say would be a variant of this Supercat,wondered if anyone

has any other ideas?

https://uklandpower.com/2019/02/14/re-thinking-the-uks-multi-role-vehicle-protected-mrv-p-programme/

• Like 1

Pinzgauer Vector might be an option - not sure if they are still in service? Soft-top Pinzgauers are also used as tractors for 105mm Light Guns. I don't think any enclosed cab Supacat variants are in UK military service.

• Like 1

Hi

I too saw this vehicle a few weeks ago parked in the vehicle compound next to the A66, its definitely sand coloured and looked fairly new, I saw it twice as I traveled back and forth, to me it looked like a Sisu apc with remote weapons station https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patria_Pasi but the windows on the front looked narrower. It is unusal these days to see anything parked in this area, many years ago you would see Chieftains and CVRT variants and lots of trucks, but very little these days.

3 hours ago, so3295 said:

Hi

I too saw this vehicle a few weeks ago parked in the vehicle compound next to the A66, its definitely sand coloured and looked fairly new, I saw it twice as I traveled back and forth, to me it looked like a Sisu apc with remote weapons station https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patria_Pasi but the windows on the front looked narrower. It is unusal these days to see anything parked in this area, many years ago you would see Chieftains and CVRT variants and lots of trucks, but very little these days.

Yes could well be the vehicle I saw look's much like it anyway.A few years ago I used to travel down to Chorley from Durham every Wednesday

and sometimes there were some interesting vehicles parked up but as you say very rare to see anything now I followed a convoy up passed

Spadeadam on the  A69 a few years ago low loaders carrying some very Soviet looking armour and trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

You almost certainly saw the new Lightweight Recovery Vehicle on the Supacat HMT600 chassis - essentially the same chassis as Coyote.  It does look a bit like the Sisu.

Image003.png

You won't have seen AFVs at Warcop since Phase 1 recruit training was rationalised and the RAC Armoured Training Regiment relocated from Catterick to Bovington a long time ago.  AFV firing is no longer conducted there.  The former experimental firing range at Kirkcudbright across the Scottish border has now become a general firing range and AFV weapons can be fired there.  The experimental work was transferred to Eskmeals in Cumbia.  Almost all tank unit training firing is now conducted at Castlemartin in S Wales with recruit training firing at Lulworth in Dorset.

The Russian-looking vehicles would have been going to the 10,000-acre Electronic Warfare Tactics range at Spadeadam, the only one of its kind in Europe.  They have a range of Russian and other threat and target equipment, some real and some mocked-up,  But these are just window dressing.  The range's real purpose is to simulate a hostile air defence environment and it has the means to simulate a wide range of electronic threat and engagement signatures.  Live ordnance is not used there: engagements are all simulated.  Live air-ground weapons ranges are all on the North Sea coast.

• Like 2

• stevej60 changed the title to Unusual vehicle spotted.(another one).

Hi folk's,passed Warcop today no sign of the last vehicle but another green painted afv parked up looked like a Boxer with turret.

On 6/30/2021 at 2:17 AM, Das Abteilung said:

You almost certainly saw the new Lightweight Recovery Vehicle on the Supacat HMT600 chassis - essentially the same chassis as Coyote.  It does look a bit like the Sisu.

Image003.png

You won't have seen AFVs at Warcop since Phase 1 recruit training was rationalised and the RAC Armoured Training Regiment relocated from Catterick to Bovington a long time ago.  AFV firing is no longer conducted there.  The former experimental firing range at Kirkcudbright across the Scottish border has now become a general firing range and AFV weapons can be fired there.  The experimental work was transferred to Eskmeals in Cumbia.  Almost all tank unit training firing is now conducted at Castlemartin in S Wales with recruit training firing at Lulworth in Dorset.

The Russian-looking vehicles would have been going to the 10,000-acre Electronic Warfare Tactics range at Spadeadam, the only one of its kind in Europe.  They have a range of Russian and other threat and target equipment, some real and some mocked-up,  But these are just window dressing.  The range's real purpose is to simulate a hostile air defence environment and it has the means to simulate a wide range of electronic threat and engagement signatures.  Live ordnance is not used there: engagements are all simulated.  Live air-ground weapons ranges are all on the North Sea coast.

Love Spadeadam....its proper geeky 🤓

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 8:31 PM, stevej60 said:

looked like a Boxer with turret.

Apparently there is a Boxer with a mockup if not real Warrior upgrade turret.  There is also the version sold to Australia with a 30mm cannon turret.  It could have been either of those.

The Army is said to be considering the possibility of a cannon-armed Boxer now that Warrior will be retired.  The Australian version is already engineered and would be the obvious solution.  However, the UK decided back in about 2008 that the 30x173mm round was insufficiently lethal against likely threat vehicles and had inadequate HE performance, hence why the Warrior upgrade had to change weapons to the 40mm CTAS to match FRES Scout (now Ajax) creating years of delay and much complexity.  Transplanting the Warrior upgrade turret onto Boxer might prove easier than redesigning the turret used on the Australian vehicle to accept the CTAS, especially with its unusual powered ammunition feed system for the "beer can" rounds.

• Like 2