Which resin?

Being a spacecraft modeller, there are precious few models available, with many of the more obscure subjects only being available as 3D printed models.

One kit subject I'm after is only available as a 3D printed model.  The cheapest I can find is £42, yet I can download a high resolution STL file for free.  I'm thinking more and more about buying a resin 3D printer and will probably go for a Elegoo Mars (not sure which model to go for yet).

So, I'll be wanting to print one-off high resolution parts and speed is really not much of an issue.  What resin would you recommend I use?

Thanks

• Like 1

I've been using Elegoo's ABS like resin (the grey one) very successfully since I started about two months ago. I was using AnyCubic's basic black resin just before that, but the Elegoo stuff seems less finecky 

However I have been told on these forums that Elegoo's water washable stuff is good, so I am going to try that, not least because of the strong smell of the other resins, plus the need for IPA to do post print clean up (IPA is not freely available here). I have a bottle on order and will report back once I've done a couple of prints

Les

• 1 month later...

I've been using Phrozen's Aqua Grey 4k which has given me decent results on their Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k, which prints at 35um resolution.

From top left going clockwise:
35um print using Phrozen Aqua Grey 4k on my printer.

50um print from a professional print bureau.

Miser's stamp.

35um print cleaned too vigorously before being cured. Bits of fine detail broken off.

20210302_125334.jpg

Another print sample from my system and resin.

p1070390.jpg

Edited by Twobad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sirayatech makes a wide range of resins for different applications, from sculpt to build type resins.

Move to Siraya tech after having issues with Monocure.

As happy as a pig in mud with Siraya tech

After upgrading to 4k Elegoo Saturn from an old Mars, I've had great results just from standard Elegoo grey. The only downsides I know is that being thicker it is more likely to fail if you are printing in cold temperatures, like middle of the night in the garage. Thinner (and usually smellier) resins like Monocure fair better here I find. If you need strength or heat resistance (eg using for vacforming) there are also better choices, but Elegoo grey is cheap so just for display models I've found no reason to switch.

• 5 weeks later...

I've used three resins so far,

1: Anycubic Basic Grey - worked really well, great results but very strong odour, very strong, as soon as I walked in the room it was - woah! Smelly resin! $35.00AU per litre from eBay (on special, normally $50.00AU).

2: eSun Standard Resin - also worked well, great results and hardly any odour, I couldn't smell the resin when the printer was running. $59.99AU per litre from a local shop.

3: eSun eResin-PLA - worked just as well as the other two, with a very slightly stronger odour than the eSun Standard. $59.99AU per litre from same local shop.

My verdict is the eSun is the go-to resin despite the price difference because of the massive difference in the odour, the Anycubic was quite off-putting and almost made me rethink my purchase of the resin printer.

On 10/28/2021 at 5:56 PM, Bangseat said:

After upgrading to 4k Elegoo Saturn from an old Mars, I've had great results just from standard Elegoo grey. The only downsides I know is that being thicker it is more likely to fail if you are printing in cold temperatures, like middle of the night in the garage. Thinner (and usually smellier) resins like Monocure fair better here I find. If you need strength or heat resistance (eg using for vacforming) there are also better choices, but Elegoo grey is cheap so just for display models I've found no reason to switch.

I can second this - I've had MASSIVE problems due to the colder temperatures... I use Elegoo Water Washable and thought it was my Saturn failing until I bought a second machine and had exactly the same problem! From my experience, anything under about 20 degrees C is unlikely to print properly...

• Like 1

I use Anycubic's plant-based ECO resin.  It looks just like their standard resin but has none of the toxic smells.  Another benefit is that you don't need expensive IPA for cleaning, just warm soapy water.

I also had problems with the cold but there is a solution to that.  Someone recommended to use a lizards Terranium heating pad.   These are supposed to stick to the outside of a Terranium; however, by placing one inside the printer it can soon warm up the vat to a working temperature.  It's easy to use and, depending on the machine you have (lift up or removable lid) just place it vertical inside, do not remove the adhesive backing, with the power lead at the bottom and a coming out of the printer.   When I am ready to print, I just remove the pad, close the lid and set the print in motion.  This is assuming that there is enough warmed resin in the vat.  If there is no resin in the bath, then I place the heater in the printer as before, and part fill a bowl with hot water and place the bottle in that in order to warm up the resin.  When it is warm enough, I remove heated pad from the printer, pour the warmed resin into the vat, close the lid and start printing.

Mike

• Like 1