1/72nd Valom Bristol Brigand & Buckmaster,..... **BOTH FINISHED**

19 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Those look excellent Davey,...... worth bearing in mind,...... was this a first attempt or did you have some disasters along the way. 

The first one was a bit naff, you have to make sure there is no water in the mould. The sticks of mould material are softened in hot (just boiled) water and clumped together.

There are Youtube vids on the subject.  I used the epoxy modelling putty but if you put too much in each half the parts put on a bit of spread!

You can see the mould line around the Green necelles. It's a case of pushing the part into a lump of Blue Stuff, leave to cool, making sure to pack around the part well.

Make some 'locating pin' indents into the mating surface so when applying the other half there are locating pins to get the two halves aligned.

No release agent is needed, then clump another bit for the other half onto the already hardened mould with the part still in.

Leave to cool then separate the two mould halves, the part comes out easily.

Pack the putty in while really soft making sure to get into all the detail.

You get voids if there is water present though.

Just trial and error really, on eBay you can buy as much or as little epoxy putty as you need.  

Davey.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

The first one was a bit naff, you have to make sure there is no water in the mould. The sticks of mould material are softened in hot (just boiled) water and clumped together.

There are Youtube vids on the subject.  I used the epoxy modelling putty but if you put too much in each half the parts put on a bit of spread!

You can see the mould line around the Green necelles. It's a case of pushing the part into a lump of Blue Stuff, leave to cool, making sure to pack around the part well.

No release agent is needed, then clump another bit for the other half onto the already hardened mould with the part still in.

Leave to cool then separate the two mould halves, the part comes out easily.

You get voids if there is water present though.

Just trial and error really, on eBay you can buy as much or as little epoxy putty as you need.  

Davey.

Cheers Davey,..... sounds promising. 

The Magna Buckmaster is... challenging.  I still have ptsd flashbacks to getting the u/c together on mine - I used my resin wheels as the Magna ones looked like they'd been carved from soap by a blind man with the shakes.  Made me give up the hobby for several months.  May be better to do it wheels up.  I plan on doing that with their Buckingham if I ever do it.  I did the Magna Brigand and that only took 17 years...

I dig the wheel moulds out later.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

The Magna Buckmaster is... challenging.  I still have ptsd flashbacks to getting the u/c together on mine - I used my resin wheels as the Magna ones looked like they'd been carved from soap by a blind man with the shakes.  Made me give up the hobby for several months.  May be better to do it wheels up.  I plan on doing that with their Buckingham if I ever do it.  I did the Magna Brigand and that only took 17 years...

I dig the wheel moulds out later.

Oh Christ don`t say that Lee,..... I was hoping that the engines would be the main obstacle on the Valom kits,....... but now you say that about the Magna kit!!  I might just follow your advice there pal when I eventually build that one,...... and thanks for polishing off the old wheel moulds mate,.... you are an absolute star as usual! 

Cheers bud,

Tony 

Moulding stuff scares me to death,...... so before I shell out on something that I just know I`ll wreck,...... I`ll have a go at old school sanding and filling to see if I can alter the kit parts,.......

I`ve reduced the circumference of the front opening by curling a few layers of plastic strip around it,........ then using photos of the real aircraft as a guide I`ve started to sand,.... compare the right hand engine that has been sanded with the unsanded left engine;

DSCF1402.jpg

DSCF1403.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

I might have some spare Hallamvac Brigand nacelles kicking about somewhere, as I used the fuselage to do a Bristol Buccaneer - the halfway house with a Brigand fuselage and Beaufighter wings.  May actually get that to primer stage soon if I can find the energy.  Just needs a great deal of filling and rebuilding at the rear edge of the wing roots.

Anyway, the nacelles are yours if you want them.

9 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

I might have some spare Hallamvac Brigand nacelles kicking about somewhere, as I used the fuselage to do a Bristol Buccaneer - the halfway house with a Brigand fuselage and Beaufighter wings.  May actually get that to primer stage soon if I can find the energy.  Just needs a great deal of filling and rebuilding at the rear edge of the wing roots.

Anyway, the nacelles are yours if you want them.

Cheers Lee,..... yeah I`ll give them a go please mate, especially as those on my old Hallam Vac kit are shot at. because I really struggle getting vacuformed open front cowlings to look right. 

The Buccaneer sound fascinating,.... surely it would have been very underpowered if it had Hercules engines? I`d stick RR Eagle`s on it,.... a la Wyvern Mk.1... vroom!! Are you adding the side mounted remote guns on the rear fuselage,..... like those on the Me210? 

All the best mate,

Tony

I'm doing it as an aerodynamic prototype, rather than the full I am, largely as I couldn't work out how to do the revised engine nacelles.  So it's basically a Brigand fuselage with Beaufighter wings and tailplanes and a scratchbodged new fin.  As it is, I think I should have shortened the fuselage as it's a bit longer than the drawing.  Still, it's a whiff, so who is to tell me it's wrong?

Edit:  Found the wheel mould, so I'll get a few sets run off today.  Annoyingly, can't find the Hallamvac nacelles but I have a spare Magna engine so could mould that instead.  I've some rubber to use up that's a bit "meh" that's ideal for it.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

Done a bit more with the cowlings,...... sanded and filled them again, then added the Aeroclub fans to the cut down engine firewalls which have been moved further forwards,... the nice engines will go into the spares box and the Aeroclub propellers have been cleaned up;

DSCF1404.jpg

DSCF1407.jpg

And painted to check the seams etc;

DSCF1410.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

They look great Tony, especially the final photograph all dressed in black. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave.

A bit more,.................

The engines fitted to the airframe;

DSCF1415.jpg

DSCF1416.jpg

And compared to the ancient Hallam Vac wreck!;

DSCF1417.jpg

And while watching the Sweden v Ukraine match on telly I got on with the undercarriage and also fitted the canopy;

DSCF1419.jpg

DSCF1421.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Well I got the canopy fitted,..... which turned out harder than I thought and needed some filler around the windscreen area! Then after sanding,..... I gave it a coat of rattle can black,.... although I need to go over one of the wings again;

DSCF1433.jpg

DSCF1434.jpg

DSCF1435.jpg

DSCF1436.jpg

So after another blast with the black in the morning,...... time to mask it off and apply the Medium Sea Grey uppers,...... I`ll probably go for rattle can here too?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Lovely job there Tony. The whole thing about the engine necelles has probably put me off ever doing mine!

Davey.

Thanks Davey,..... it has me with the other Brigands that I have too,..... and even the Buckmaster,...... although I`ll probably push on and get that one done. Shame really as I like the Brigand.  I was hoping that somebody might have done a cowling set for it,..... but no joy! 

• Like 1

Well I`ve got the Medium Sea Grey on, using a Humbrol rattle can,....... the finish is a bit rough compared to the nice smooth Tamiya black mind you;

DSCF1437.jpg

DSCF1438.jpg

Now to decide between a 45 Sqn or 84 Sqn aircraft,...... I`m so torn! The Buckmaster will pobably be a 45 Sqn aircraft if it gets finished,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

And another update,.......

The masking removed;

DSCF1439.jpg

DSCF1441.jpg

Then I fitted the tailplanes and re fitted the engine fans and propellers;

DSCF1442.jpg

DSCF1445.jpg

Last of all for now,...... a coat of Humbrol gloss varnish,..... one of the tailplanes fell off while doing this nd the engines and fans were temporarily removed too;

DSCF1446.jpg

But which squadron do I go for,..... I really want an 84 Sqn one, especially now that the missus found the other kit with its decals,....... but I do love the 45 Sqn one too and I do like a set,.... it would it in well with the Beaufighters, Hornet and Buckmaster! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Setting your normal pace and quality here Tony. Great work with the engines they came out an absolute treat!

Rob

Thanks Rob,.... still not great but about the best I could do. 

• Like 2

More progress,...... I started on the decals tonight,......

Well I say started,..... because I have yet to source some blck lines for the upper wing walk ways and  the upper wing roundels on the Freightdog decals set seemed a bit too small too;

DSCF1459.jpg

DSCF1460.jpg

I also moved the codes, fuselage roundels and nose badges around a bit until I was happier with them and an extra set of fin stripes were found as only one set are provided on the Freightdog sheet. I did find a larger set of roundels too and applied them,...... but,... well,.... they are still too small. Here is the model alongside its replacement within 45 Sqn,... the Hornet,... which I`m still finishing off;

DSCF1462.jpg

And an older uncle from the Bristol stable which also had its decals applied tonight;

DSCF1464.jpg

When I say that the upper wing roundels are too small,..... just look at these photos of real Brigands which all have much larger upper wing roundels,... which I still have to source along with the black lines to replicate the walk ways.

19-1.jpg

bristol-brigand-523fb3ef-6645-49a5-a549-

peters-crash-in-kranji-2.jpg  

The tragic picture above may look back to front,.... but it isn`t,.... the fuselage is upside down. 

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, MattG said:

Hi Tony,

Great work, that is one superb looking model. I'm really enjoying following this.

Matt

Thanks Matt,...... glad you are enjoying it and thanks also for saying so,...... it does help spur me on the get both models finished.  

Another quick update,...... I wasn`t happy with the position of the fin flashes compared to photos of the real thing,.... so I`ve applied a new set,........ and as the tail fins keep falling off while handling the model,.... I`ll keep them off until the end! I`ve also added a larger set of roundels plus some walkway lines using an old set of EE. Lightning decals.

The rockets and rocket rails have been painted,....... as have the wheels,......BUT,..... as Lee mentioned earlier,..... they are far too thin to fit into the pins of the undercarriage legs! 

I`ve also started to paint the propeller spinners red,...... but it is taking a few coats,..... and also painted an anti slip walkway on the right wing root!

The real aircraft has a clear DF Loop `acorn' attached to the top of the canopy but the kit includes a solid one,..... however I have one left over from the Airfix Beaufort kit and I`ll be using that,..... here is how the kit looks so far;

DSCF1467.jpg

DSCF1469.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

A bit more of an update,......

I had a go at the wheels,...... by cutting them in half and putting some plastic card inbetween them and re attaching them again,.... and they just about reach the undercarriage struts!!  

DSCF1471.jpg

DSCF1475.jpg

I also applied a few coats of matt varnish to the model,....... used a file to square off the outboard leading edge intakes as I`d noticed that they were incorrect being circular,..... and I added some plastic strip to the upper wings to replicate the actuator covers for the ailerons.

The more I looked at the photo that I have of the subject aircraft, RH829/ OB-M,.... and other Brigands too,..... the more I think that the spinnes were not red as dictated by Freightdog,..... and could well be Medium Sea Grey which seems to have been very common,...... so  I also repainted the spinners again,..... they might be another colour altogether tomorrow LOL!!! 

DSCF1479.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

A bit more of an update,......

I had a go at the wheels,...... by cutting them in half and putting some plastic card inbetween them and re attaching them again,.... and they just about reach the undercarriage struts!!  

DSCF1471.jpg

DSCF1475.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

This is well done. The wheel sandwich reminds me when I built my own Brigand.

Cheers.

Patrick

• Like 1