Kittyhawk 1/48 Jaguar T.2 ETPS colours +FINISHED+

Icarus

Hi all.  With the completion of the "splinter scheme" Belgian AF  Alpha Jet earlier in this GB, and business travel to Moscow still not looking like it will get going again any time soon, I actually think I might be able to attempt a second build for this GB.  I am going to attempt to build this "slightly worse for wear" Jaguar T.2

2XFA6kBtR3nVjFaWuwRhOk63DsD6D_zxZWjxbrOJ

qXc7kz-z6IhAgM10vw-8CK3TuI3kaQtupkdX4fbz

If you look closely at the first picture, you can see what appear to be 4 extra aerials on the rear dorsal spine of the box illustration.  These actually represent the parts of the box where sprue components were forced through, due to crushing of the box in transit.  I have spent much of the last 6 months trying to get this refunded by the Chinese seller, but no avail.  The main victim of this trauma was the middle canopy, which arrived shattered into several bits.  As Kittyhawk appears to have no aftermarket care, I have not been able to replace this item, so have had to try and glue the bits together as best I can.  The result is shown below:

_qOTpXnZRSdVvIbKZgqxw5mYCTNKjhgtXAPVWSIe

I am hoping that the vibrancy of the ETPS "Raspberry Ripple" scheme, plus the fact that the canopies will be mounted open, will help to distract from the obvious flaws in this transparency.

We shall see...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Sad 5

Thanks Brad - not that I can find....

Anyway, did a bit of work on this last night and this morning.  I am not really going to follow the Kittyhawk instructions, especially as they insist on building the nose and main fuselage components as complete subassemblies, before bringing them together at the end.  Ignoring the obvious risks of misalignment, that would make painting the "Raspberry Ripple" scheme a bit of a nightmare.

Anyway, initial gluing of the rather nice PE to the cockpit components:

ca2ifIaqbnWucaQ1FvLzL78EwYY_TWWZA9JFqL22

And post painting this morning.  As usual I have slightly over-emphasised the red and yellow details, as otherwise they will get lost in the gloom of the dark cockpits:

-KdswXcYbTBObFCr9TwMb6uCtq1Rh3KaLzwrELt-

Hoping to have the cockpits built up this evening, before starting on my own version of the fuselage construction.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

So, after starting to glue this kit, it is immediately obvious that the engineering design is excellent, but the execution leaves a bit more to be desired.  There are multiple significant stubs tabs on the plastic, often at mating surfaces, and the soft and often warped plastic components are a real nightmare.  However, the engraved detail is exquisite.

So an example of the "good"... (built entirely from kit components, including supplied PE instruments, consoles and seat belts)

zhAv7Fgx6M2rOIOsnau9kAPbRFYDrFpXQ-EQTIPp

Followed by an example of the "challenging".  Even with all that compression, the front fuselage halves are barely approximated.  The even more warped upper rear fuselage frame will need to be glued together later..

wjE9NrgG96xG99JMSq1bAkraMc0Z7rQ12hS4IiSU

One thing's for sure - my original plan to build the fuselage halves then combine them to try and avoid gaps has gone out of the window!

Oh well - if it was easy everyone would do it, as my old flying instructor used to say.

Stay safe and thank you for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Typos
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening.  With the "Less then a Tenner" Fw-190 completed, I now have some time to work on this build.  This is where I am this evening:

J7yIIxEOMZvbtGE5b_WUt8E1v8fCgpsvh7RU0YV1

ZYPmA6xzu_a0eMt7Qf1PsppYmdR_vaVnLhUDItb6

As you can see, I have attached the canopies (the main ones temporarily) with white glue, then masked them with vinyl and decorator's tape.  This has had the happy coincidence of covering up all the cracks in the crushed middle canopy.  Unfortunately, this isn't a permanent solution!

As you can also see, I have attached both the front and rear fuselage "modules" much earlier than the instructions suggest.  I have scratched my head for some time, trying to work out why Kitty Hawk suggest doing this right at the end.  I cannot see any reason not to do it now, and of course this will help enormously with the painting of the flamboyant scheme.  We shall see if I live to regret this.

Sadly, the same wasn't possible for the main undercarriage.  I could not find a way of attaching this securely later in the build, so they have had to be added at the scheduled time.  I did, however, find a work around for the front u/c, so at least these won't be snapped "in transit" during the build...

Thank you for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

Certainly a challenging build, with no little help from the seller! Those cockpits looks really good, so you are definitely overcoming.

As to the canopy, a nice way to conceal the damage would be a 'tarp' draped over the top, even if it's open. Or a flag, say the Union Jack.

So, first of all a dry test fit of the sub assemblies prior to starting painting, and with the nose painted black...

bbVPxkrOe4lDbtTTWrySl9Q5AV9_kEAa-rxhyzA_

Note the painting guide doesn't point out the black antiglare shield for the nose .

Then with the initial layer of Tamiya white primer...

us40Pxg5gthcpu7FC_u3KtE6pvI8BOcWyzdit4lR

Now, I have seen a lot of criticism of this kit online, but to be honest I don't agree.  Sure, there appear to be a few labelling inaccuracies in the instructions, but nothing that a bit of common sense can't sort out.  The only real problem with this kit has come from the shipping agent and the infamous "crazy paving" canopy.

Now that Kitty Hawk has ceased trading, I will miss their output of esoteric but highly buildable subjects.  Get them whilst you can I say...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 2

It’s good to see you making progress with this: somewhere in the loft I have an Airfix Jaguar with the Paragon two-seater conversion.

One minor point though; have you hung the small main undercarriage doors from the fuselage side?  I’ve just done a quick ‘n’ dirty web trawl and they seem to be hung from the inboard edges of the rear part of the bay.  Good ol’ Kitty Hawk instructions?

Hi

just to confirm that the small doors hinge at the bottom i.e inboard of the main gear legs.

Having made the single seat KH Jag, IMHO it's a bit of a curates egg, good in parts but they missed the boat in others. The wing leading edge profile is fictional at best and if you fit the pylons they don't match RAF Jags in any shape or form. Shouldn't be a problem for an ETPS Jag but the weapon load is not an RAF one.

Good luck though, she's coming on a treat

John

Edited by 12jaguar

Thank you 12jaguar - the u/c doors are just white glued in place at the moment, to aid with masking.  I do agree photo references are crucial with Kitty Hawk builds - they never quite got their instruction QC process sorted...

Anyway, this is the state of play this morning, with the initial layer of red down.  At least a couple more thin layers needed for adequate colour density before I mask this off for the Oxford Blue layer.

xZFDAVjRXd3tff4AGBNaZbxLiKKw1SwlGbxDQyD_

Thank you for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

Hey looking good and I’ve missed this one. I used to be on the line back in 85 when they were making the BBC series. Good luck and keep going.

So this is this evening, with the Oxford Blue down, and masking off.  Clearly a few touch ups to be done along some of the panel lines, but nothing too drastic, which is a relief given how much of a b*gger this was to mask!

RG97OaJEPQ8mqY0QkEUHimDKmNNzdaLf7IkN8Kne

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

Evening all.  Now a bit clearer (day time) and with initial stages of touch up.  Clearly covering red with white paint will be a slow process...

r1XrbWgjLN2zhUzpzIZ0a3N3LfE00O4UrTnUXhOC

Q6XbAd3lj4SsRCnDGmpD9kY4ybaOMb3x1Q1bcG6n

Once this is done, I need to remove the masking over the metal exhaust heat shields, then start actually permanently glueing some of the bits together!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So, slow progress with this to be honest.  Work is manic.  However, I have finally had time to put the decals on, and last night I added some very minimal weathering with oils.  From photo references these a/c were kept pretty pristine.  I have also added some of the dangly bits.

hFAcCQuBZkpBT3FoVS9ZvITTcUqhkdANKU67O3Fu

3cS1Yei0KauwDG8s8LF5utJx_HtqjFD6vElv4p0T

Next steps are to add the wheels and the rest of the delicate bits (and the somewhat inaccurate pylons, that seem to be on the reference photos), then a final coat of satin before finally removing the canopy masks.  As previously discussed, I will need to fashion some sort of cover to go over the cracked middle canopy, then we should be done.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 6

A bit further in this - at least it now has wheels to sit on.  This has been a bit of a struggle to be honest, mainly because I keep getting distracted.  Anyway, here we are this evening:

gYrH_duDKYgfrjIVBGgvHixcWsGh0-oNv-weMvRn

CdP9OjmQLpFGZhJn06lWRa-x-pKd7-l1FtdlGAkJ

Xg7-2l5L5cJD7-sGaLLb1XEEq7JSflde0YA7gVfi

Will try and get this finished this week - not much left now!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 3

• Icarus changed the title to Kittyhawk 1/48 Jaguar T.2 ETPS colours +FINISHED+

A bit further in this - at least it now has wheels to sit on.  This has been a bit of a struggle to be honest, mainly because I keep getting distracted.  Anyway, here we are this evening:

gYrH_duDKYgfrjIVBGgvHixcWsGh0-oNv-weMvRn

CdP9OjmQLpFGZhJn06lWRa-x-pKd7-l1FtdlGAkJ

Xg7-2l5L5cJD7-sGaLLb1XEEq7JSflde0YA7gVfi

Will try and get this finished this week - not much left now!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 2

So, after knuckling down this is finally finished.  Thankfully the cracked canopy is not too distracting.  I will upload some better photos into the gallery later. but this is the state of play this morning.

QRL01XKie7Pxo8tdl8T5DZaxNZALOsQHspO15lpM

19S2M89eDLnL21Ao-QQoi2M2M3xbNLmkPiH0UGgj

Thank you for all of the helpful suggestions during this somewhat challenging build.

Now off to the Bristol GB!

Icarus

• Like 6