1:16 Airborne Miniatures Special Forces figure

So this is my first time attempting to paint a miniature. I usually build spaceships and planes, but I wanted to try something different to develop my painting skills. Hoo boy...

I was going to attempt a forest Multicam camo pattern but I've changed my mind and I think I'm going to go with a desert Multicam. I may change my mind again.

Not a whole lot of progress so far. I'll try to document my work better than I usually do. 

The parts. Some have been cleaned up, others have not. 

ribC2zvh.jpg

TEect2sh.jpg

Partially assembled

gpBvM1Bh.jpg

Black primer, then gray primer sprayed from above to accentuate shadows and highlights

EYLn0Mqh.jpg

Starting on the face

ejyiNb4h.jpg

XxjbQmRh.jpg

4Qs80jMh.jpg

• Like 5

Not a whole lot of progress to report, I'm afraid. I'm having a hell of a time getting the camo pattern on the helmet. I've already stripped it off twice. I did find a camo guide that may be helpful. At the moment I'm waiting on two paint colors I had to order that I couldn't find locally. 

In the meantime I finished up the face and shoes. Again, apologies for pictures, I only have my phone to use. 

skaOVN1h.jpg

1de6hpAh.jpg

GnfpkBGh.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates. I am still terrible about taking photos of my work in progress, largely because I am usually unhappy with some aspect of it and also because my disinterest in setting up better photos. 

Making headway on the camo. I'm still not really happy with it but I'm not going to change it again. It still needs a few more layers of detail before I give it a very light wash and call it done. Then I need to paint other details like the knee pads, the belt, all of the straps, etc. The brown on the glove is just a first pass. I'm going to paint some other contrasting color on it at the natural seams and then weather it up. 

I'm not really happy with the gun camo. I still have a lot of work to do on it so we'll see if I can salvage it or if I'll start over 9for about the fifth time). 

rmCgIKSh.jpg

W5oYgBSh.jpg

suDvA5hh.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm still getting used to using a wet palette, which is both a boon and source of frustration at times. But I'm glad I'm using it, and I do feel like I'm getting better even within the progress of this miniature. 

• Like 1

Well after some more fiddling I'm still not happy and I'm going to start over. I may just redo the base coat and then take a break from this for a bit to work on my painting skills and work on another project as a distraction. 

• Sad 1

Hey Dave, don't be in such a rush- that camo is spot on!

It looks just like my mtp trousers. I'd be more than happy with that result.

If you were trying to get closer to the US OCP, it's less broken up- so there are fewer dark brown areas. That's why you can see American squaddies, but our lads are invisible at the same distance! :angel: Joking aside, most people can't tell the difference. That's a really impressive result you've achieved there. 

• Like 1

Thanks, oilenach. I followed a camo paint guide but I'm just not happy with it. I think the base color was too gray and I needed more of a green, and larger splotches of a lighter brown as the second layer. I was getting better the more I did it but I still think it will behoove me to start over. 

Here are some pics of what I was hoping to achieve. I gave up pretty quickly on the digital camo, but does anyone know how the modeler achieved this? I found the pics through a google search and there wasn't any info on who built it or how. I think it's well beyond my abilities since I'm not even sure how it was done. A stencil? 

This is what I will shoot for with the repainting. 

m1nOW0tl.jpg

And the pants. This is what I used as a guide when painting the shoes. 

mipfKa0l.jpg

But I would love to know how this effect was done. 

lcqN8o0h.jpg

j4YB1N2h.jpg

• Like 2

So I did go back and repaint the base coat. My biggest problem was that the first basecoat I used was a Tamiya gray-green but when contrasted with the greens and browns it looked like gray primer. So I just started over with a base of Citadel Straken Green. I think this will make a much better foundation (right up until I don't!) 

I have family coming into town the next two weekends so updates will be sparse, if any. But if anyone knows how the digital camo effects above were done, I'd love to hear about it! 

ga3Y3ucl.jpg

• Like 2

http://airborne-miniatures.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Has a series of pictures of how the AOR1 camo was painted, unfortunately it doesn't call out the colours.

This is one of the best video tutorials I have found on painting multicam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DK8CLFztPc&list=FLSDaMSIe7jq4-7kDysFmREg&index=2&t=120s

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 1:43 AM, Andy Evans said:

http://airborne-miniatures.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Has a series of pictures of how the AOR1 camo was painted, unfortunately it doesn't call out the colours.

This is one of the best video tutorials I have found on painting multicam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DK8CLFztPc&list=FLSDaMSIe7jq4-7kDysFmREg&index=2&t=120s

I've watched that video several times, it's very helpful. and I will check out the blog when I have some time. Thank you!

• Like 1

Very quick update. I had a bit of time last night to add three layers onto the figure. The first was an airbrushed layer of green-gray in very light and uneven patches, followed by brush-painted sand color and then a medium brown. Still need to add light and dark greens, a dark brown, and then aged white for the small spots, but so far I'm liking this more than my last attempt. The green base coat just works better for me. 

I tried the digital camo on some sample styrene and while I got an okay look, I didn't think I could make it work for the full figure. 

Again, standard apologies for the photo, I took a quick shot as I was heading out the door. 

PgJtjh9l.jpg

• Like 2

I should finish this week, excluding a base of some kind, which I haven't decided on yet. 

Body all painted and with a gloss coat. Tonight I will give it a wash with Citadel Shade Athonian Camoshade

qwiXP1hl.jpg

The various accessories are done. They have been gloss coated, given a wash, then sealed with a dull coat. Same for the rifle and hand. 

5r4jhgfl.jpg

• Like 1

FINISHED.

I ended up stripping and repainting the helmet at least six times. I'm still not completely happy with it but I'm done messing with it. 

FINISHING STEPS

After the gloss coat I gave everything a wash, then a final dull coat. Did a few minor painting touch ups and then glued the helmet to the head and the head onto the figure. The base is very simple -- I didn't want to detract from the figure, which is the focal point. The darker spots on the base are where the glue is still drying. 

Looking back, I felt I was finally getting the hang of some of the painting processes just as I was finishing the piece. I still want to try for that digital desert camo look but that will be another time. 

I have no idea how inaccurate his camo scheme is. I decided to make his shoulder pockets and the clasps on the lower parts of his legs a solid green-gray just to break up the camo a bit. 

I'd give myself a B overall. Any comments about ways to improve my technique are welcome! 

JKxomZMl.jpg

2PQ7Elcl.jpg

rCo4wStl.jpg

mIkMXOrl.jpg

Vmd4MCql.jpg

yqqgo9jl.jpg

lpbGBcQl.jpg

jXCP81Ml.jpg

AitVVSDl.jpg

BzNCJhCl.jpg

• Like 2