Maltese Beaufort

As this is kinda my gig, I felt I needed to get my build up. Really looking forward to this and so far there have been some great builds posted.

the kit is of course the lovely new Bristol Beaufort.

mWDd9ks.jpgfor a great breakdown of how to build it you should pop along to @Rabbit Leader build thread he did with @tonyot. I cannot and will not promise their quality, so please do not expect it 😃.

the option I’m going for, which I know people have opinions one whether this is accurate, is below.

zET0vKB.jpg
WUlnTmF.jpg

it’s something a bit different and after reading a few books written by torpedo pilots from the island a subject I’ve wanted to do for a while.

hopefully I’ll also get time to build a beaufighter from the med to, but we shall see.

Rob

• Like 15

That’s a great decal sheet (purchased one to build a Beaufighter, ended up buying a Gladiator and Beaufort based on the decals).

Looking on with interest as I have two Beaufort’s to build myself.

• Thanks 1

Thought for a minute you were going to do the slightly contentious Med Blue scheme that some sources claim operated out of Malta. However the one you have chosen makes more sense, at least to me!

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Thought for a minute you were going to do the slightly contentious Med Blue scheme that some sources claim operated out of Malta. However the one you have chosen makes more sense, at least to me!

Pete

I have seen that scheme but went for this one as it’s a bit different and like the patchy job it has. The scheme does make sense to me, however I think there is an issue with the colour call out, it says dark slate grey on the upper wings but looks to be EDSG.

2 hours ago, Muddyf said:

That’s a great decal sheet (purchased one to build a Beaufighter, ended up buying a Gladiator and Beaufort based on the decals).

Looking on with interest as I have two Beaufort’s to build myself.

I love the set, I’ve built a couple of the spitfires and halfway through the gladiator as well, I love Malta based aircraft!

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yep gonna follow along on this one, I definitely want a couple of Beauforts and at least one Malta based plane. 

Cheers! It looks an excellent kit, hopefully I do it justice.

Rob

• Like 3

Always great to see the GB Host’s nominated thread, even better when its with one of these very popular kits. Now mine came together with a lot of help from Airfix’s excellent design team, so I’m sure you will end up with a pleasing Beaufort build once finished. Take care with it and enjoy the build. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to seeing this, especially as I'm hoping to build one of these later in this Group Build. It looks a great kit. Good luck with it!

Matt

• Thanks 1

This is a grand kit and who doesn't love a Malta scheme?  I enjoyed my build so much that I've decided that repeating it, probably in a Malta scheme, is a must.  I'll really enjoy seeing how yours comes along.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I guess I should crack on really.

here’s the kit

QNSJPvv.jpg

rather unceremoniously dumped on my cramped little bench.

So far I’ve managed to get most of the internals together and painted.

c2ILMSk.jpg
lyCCOc1.jpg

I drilled the three holes for the fish to hang off and managed to drill my index finger in the process, shouldn’t advise it.

Dry fit looks ok.

B3GRTDi.jpg

and here it is with a few licks of IG.

or9NRqt.jpg

it’s a nice kit so far!

nice to see so many excellent builds taking place!

cheers all

Rob

• Like 13

Great start Rob and glad to see you are already impressed by the fit so far. The good news is that it mostly continues as you progress through the build. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

I'm building up this new Airfix kit too Rob, one word of advice - be careful when removing the torpedo from the sprue, I cut quite far away so as not to damage the flimsy propeller end but still ended up snapping it!  

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 8:15 AM, Scargsy said:

I'm building up this new Airfix kit too Rob, one word of advice - be careful when removing the torpedo from the sprue, I cut quite far away so as not to damage the flimsy propeller end but still ended up snapping it!  

Yes, I do recall that is quite a flimsy joint and care needs to be taken here and quite a few other spots too. Go slow and think it through. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 7:00 PM, jackroadkill said:

If you do break the torpedo, Rob, give me a shout - I've got one here somewhere that you can have to replace it.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:20 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes, I do recall that is quite a flimsy joint and care needs to be taken here and quite a few other spots too. Go slow and think it through. 
Cheers.. Dave 

On 7/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, Scargsy said:

Cheers for the heads up and off chaps, I have some spare fish so hopefully will be ok!

progress has continued and it’s been mainly detail painting of the interior. Weathering has been applied and little seatbelts for the pilot. Sand has been liberally applied in this process as for anyone who has been to the island will know it’s all pretty much yellow stone and sand! Beautiful place though.

1AASmRS.jpg
zHwiBhw.jpg

lYgyjbb.jpg
xLM68sa.jpg
gSXemsD.jpg
I painted the below then it pinged off the tweezers!

GjJzziV.jpg
10 points if you find it

OSy6EjO.jpg

It’s safely glued in now. After all that the wings went on, and the are a VERY satisfying fit.

IG3Xd2J.jpg

seems etc will need a good tidy now!

cheers all!

Rob

• Like 9

Hi Rob,

That looks amazing! The sand-coloured weathering on the interior is very effective and really looks the part for a Malta Beaufort. I will have to remember to do this when I build any Malta based aircraft myself.

Matt

• Thanks 1

Nice work on the cockpit Rob. It is amazing to me how small it looks in your hand.

I'm really looking forward to the ICM 1/48 Beaufort. I hope it gets through the design and manufacturing process safely before the end of the year.

• Thanks 1

Excellent progress Rob. You're doing a great job on those internals, the front section will be highly visible under all that glasswork. Well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2021 at 4:12 AM, Cookenbacher said:

Ah, I finally found this one!

Great work on an interesting subject Rob - that interior looks magnificent.

Hello there there cookie! Nice to have you along.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:55 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Excellent progress Rob. You're doing a great job on those internals, the front section will be highly visible under all that glasswork. Well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, appreciate it. I’ve just masked them and sanded all the seems so hopefully start thinking about paint.

On 7/10/2021 at 1:02 AM, Greg Law said:

Nice work on the cockpit Rob. It is amazing to me how small it looks in your hand.

I'm really looking forward to the ICM 1/48 Beaufort. I hope it gets through the design and manufacturing process safely before the end of the year.

Cheers Greg.

On 7/10/2021 at 12:33 AM, stevehnz said:

Looks good. The more I read of building these, the more confident I feel about mine come the day, you are making it look pretty sweet. :)

Steve.

It’s a lovely kit steve I have no doubt you will completely do it justice.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:26 PM, MattG said:

Hi Rob,

That looks amazing! The sand-coloured weathering on the interior is very effective and really looks the part for a Malta Beaufort. I will have to remember to do this when I build any Malta based aircraft myself.

Matt

That sand is everywhere on the island and having been to the places the operated I can’t see how it wouldn’t have been everywhere! Glad you like it!

so bit of work on this nothing too crazy just a bit of mask and preparation for paint, rear tail planes etc.

gDqsS5N.jpg

ZVYVfA8.jpg

few steps forward which is nice.

Rob

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

And we continue. 

I have put the power plants together and they are now glued in place. I think one of the engines is built wrong, and the seem on the cowl popped when I attached it, so will have to try and sort that again.

engines were painted with mr metal iron.

1SXW6yp.jpga little buffed (left) and unbuffed (right) for you.

iRp66ko.jpg
2aHf2DF.jpg

collector rings were given a vote of iron as well then polished later.

AhAIANE.jpgpolished and attached. The left engine has been re aligned and attached since this shot as it was wrong.

Oh and the trip filter and under carriage were put on as well…

sto6lqO.jpgonly pic I have of the UC. Well I’ve only done the first half.

then the masked canopy was given a coat of IG then started with the middle stone.

guH5bRc.jpgthats about 3 coats.

that’s all really. What I will say is I think a Better job could have been done with the engines. There is a seem on the collector ring, I think a separate part that would slot on the front would have made this a better kit and simplified the process. But that’s a small niggle on a lovely kit.

Rob

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks lovely. The scheme will make a nice change from TSS or green/brown. And thank you for hosting!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, however as a host I don’t feel I’ve done a great deal. This GB has fallen in a pretty hectic time for me! But it’s doing well with so many great subjects, your own very much included in that.

Rob

• Like 3