1/32 Lancaster

I've never built 1/32 before, so why not jump in at the deep end with a Lancaster. 

I received this kit for my 18th in May, to build as a summer project before going to uni. Considering the largest kit I've built is a 1/72 Victor, this is a pretty big step up in size from anything I've previously done. It should be fun, I love large models and heavy bomber aircraft, and even more so when it's British. Just a shame there's not a nice 1/32 Vulcan in injection moulded plastic to go with it....

Anyway, I'm sure you've probably seen the box art for this kit before. Good box art of PO•S, but that's not the one I'm going to build.

IMG_20210508_121128100~2

There are a few airframes I'm considering, I'm still yet to decide finally on what I want to do.

I want one with the following features:

H2S radar

Flat canopy sides (absolute must)

Early small nose blister

No Sqn codes (just a roundel and serial on the side)

Definitely no nose art

I've not found one with the exact features I want, but I've found some that are pretty close. These are currently the two favourites:

ED696:

Lancaster_NN696_57_Sqn.jpg

DV170 (no H2S)

EDIT: no longer a candidate, engine nacelles are a later type which aren't in the kit

Lancaster-8-MFA.jpg

If anyone can give any further ideas for airframes that closely fit the criteria, it would be hugely appreciated.

I started construction yesterday and built the pilot's seat, the padding will be left unglued until it's painted, that will also make fitting the etched seatbelts a bit easier.

IMG_20210609_203515208

Next job, prepare these parts for Eduard etch pieces. Say goodbye to most of that raised detail because it's going. I'm holding off on painting anything as long as possible because of the heat and humidity right now

IMG_20210610_122347162

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 17

Nice one, I would love one of those kits as I am a dedicated 1/32 scale builder, but space prohibits it, so I will tag along with your build.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

I just picked up the 1/48 version during a trip to my Unlocal Hobby Shop, so I'll be peaking in. Gonna be a biiiig model!

Though, are the nacelles different on this bomber than the kit provides?

52 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Lancaster-8-MFA.jpg

3 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Though, are the nacelles different on this bomber than the kit provides?

Oh bugger you're right! Guess that's that one ruled out. I'm no Lancaster expert, I'll need everyone here to double and triple check everything I do. If it were a Vulcan... well I could practically build one in my sleep at this point

I have this kit so am keen to follow your progress and take notes!

Theoretically, you could build any Lanc you like as they all left the factory without codes and just their serials. It wasn’t until they were assigned to a squadron that codes were applied. Only very few would have not had codes applied - perhaps company demonstrators and the like. 

Also note that DV170 pictured is a later MkVI (only a handful were built) with the later Merlin 85 nacelles and therefore not applicable to the HK kit. 

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Theoretically, you could build any Lanc you like as they all left the factory without codes and just their serials. It wasn’t until they were assigned to a squadron that codes were applied. Only very few would have not had codes applied - perhaps company demonstrators and the like. 

That makes this a lot easier! Now I just need to look for one with H2S, flat canopy sides and the smaller nose blister.... which I can't find.

Watching this one with interest! I like 1:32 scale as it's less fiddly than 1:72. I think this kit is a huge size ! I do hope you finish it this Summer before you go to Uni. 

Im sorry I can't point you to an airframe that meets your criteria. Maybe scour the National Archives online for some pics? You might get lucky! 

I'm no Lanc expert but seems that an aircraft with a H2S fit is likely to be a 'PFF' squadron aircraft i.e. a Path Finder Force aircraft. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinder_(RAF)

there are 8 PFF squadrons listed as using Lancs between 1942 and 1945 in the above link.. should help you narrow your researches! I'd take a guess and say an a/c fitted with H2S would be flown by a Master Bomber on a Parramatta marked target.

Parramatta used navigation aids such as H2S radar or Oboe radio signals to drop the Target Indicator markers.

I do have a Lancaster book which has a wealth of pics. I couldn't have a quick look and see if I can find some suitable candidates for you? 

Good Luck Sir! 

Kind Regards

Andy

• Like 1

Serial for your first choice reads NN696  which was used by 576 sqdn but went missing 22 June 1944 

How about building the Second prototype DG595 ?

Carried the flat nose blister and windows.

You will have to have a trade off with the early nose blister and H2s  . . . .

Colour scheme is a little different  . . .

Certainly no codes or artwork although it did carry the Yellow P in a circle  . . .. 

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Oh bugger you're right! Guess that's that one ruled out. I'm no Lancaster expert, I'll need everyone here to double and triple check everything I do. If it were a Vulcan... well I could practically build one in my sleep at this point

Those nacelles look like they belong on an Avro Lincoln. Don't know how unique that pairing is, but if you could find some 1/35 resin nacelles available for it, it could make a neat build.

Edited by Thom216

The PFF units may have got the H2S first but the intention was to fit all of Bomber Command.

As Tomprobert said, that aircraft is a Mk.VI, with later Merlins.  Not unique but not many were made, and they only went to the one squadron.  I'm afraid we are yet to get a  1/32 Lincoln, let alone conversion nacelles.  However, now this kit it out possibly someone is planning Mk.VI cowlings.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I do have a Lancaster book which has a wealth of pics. I couldn't have a quick look and see if I can find some suitable candidates for you? 

A quick flick through would be good, what book is it out of curiosity?

19 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Serial for your first choice reads NN696  which was used by 576 sqdn but went missing 22 June 1944 

How about building the Second prototype DG595 ?

Carried the flat nose blister and windows.

You will have to have a trade off with the early nose blister and H2s  . . . .

Colour scheme is a little different  . . .

Certainly no codes or artwork although it did carry the Yellow P in a circle  . . .. 

Second prototype is a no go, can't do the underside turret with what is in the kit and there seems to be some more differences. I want a pretty standard looking Lanc.

• Like 1

IMG_20210610_165640404

I didn't get too much done last night, I was out all evening..... and part of the morning.....

But yeah, I did a bit with the etch stuff in the cockpit and reminded myself how much I don't like using etch. Oh well, it looks good at least.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

I can do that. 

"Lancaster" by Mike Garrett and Brian Goulding 1979 published by The Promotoinal Reprint Company.

ISBN 1 85648 055 0

On 12/06/2021 at 16:56, At Sea said:

I love that it's always so hard to build a 'standard' anything!

Watching with interest. 

Definitely can be, I love to do things like my recent NASA Tu144, Vulcan B1a prototype or Kiwi Vulcan B2, but sometimes just a non-noteworthy model is just as good to build. 

Got to keep organised for this... not my strong point. I'm sorting everything by things to be painted black, things to be painted interior green and other

IMG_20210614_190924918

I started to put together some of the larger components that are going to be interior green. I'm aware of just how wrong the front end of the cockpit is, and that there is a resin set to correct it now, but I won't be bothering with that. 

IMG_20210614_190931562

I'm also starting to put together some of the etch components, and again just reminding myself how much I dislike etch even though the results are worth it.

IMG_20210614_151504380

It will definitely be an improvement on the original plastic part

https

IMG_20210614_151449236

Last night I painted the seat and attached the etch belts and whatever that is on the back of the seat. I took a guess at green for the seat as I've seen both green and black painted Lancaster seats.

CollageMaker_20210615_130602615

The cockpit sides will need a few parts adding before painting. I'll probably just do this side for now and deal with the other side later. I could also just leave the cockpit sides for a while and focus on the other interior parts as the instructions would have you build the entire interior and two fuselage halves as separate subassemblies, then bring them all together at a later point.

IMG_20210614_190937278

Would it even be one of my threads if my hamster didn't make an appearance?

IMG_20210613_225200149

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

On 11/06/2021 at 12:11, Adam Poultney said:

re 

"Lancaster" by Mike Garrett and Brian Goulding 1979 published by The Promotoinal Reprint Company.

ISBN 1 85648 055 0

This Lancaster At War 1, there are several more, 2,3,4 and 5

Lancaster at 1 and 2 were reprinted as 1 volume,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000J4UP0C

though it seems the single volumes are cheaper at the moment, 

this Lancaster at war 2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/071100966X/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2

they are some of the best modellers references for the money, as they consist of mostly photos, often large,  showing all manner of detail, the text is short reminiscences by Aircrew and ground crew, which are fascinating and informative.  

There are a load in this series BTW, and nearly all* are excellent, and many are often available really cheaply online,   I have loads of them and you can usually spot some new detail on every browse.

*some of the US and German volumes are a bit dated,  but most of the British ones are superb,  and I think you find the Halifax, Stirling and Welling complimentary for stories in them.

also well worth reading, depending on how much you know about the overall history,  

The Nuremberg Raid,  March 30-31, 1944, by Martin Middlebrook

While about the worst night bomber command had, it has one of the best overall background to the bomber war, how the Bomber command ended up where it was, the German defence systems, and the back and forth by new technologies, in a very readable form, along with an incredibly detailed account of the actual raid.   All of Middlebrook's books are similar in format,  he interviewed literally hundreds of veterans,  and their tales add a very personal element to the histories recounted, and highly recommended

Bomber, by Len Deighton

https://www.deightondossier.net/Books/Other novels/bomber.html

Fiction, but very carefully researched.   The author says in the end of the book, that the genesis for was when a childhood friend, who ended up in Lancasters in 1944, told him how in the briefing, that crews had cheered when told there would be Stirlings on a raid, (as  they had a lower ceiling and caught the flak) 

Hope of use.

• Like 1

Got to give a thumbs up to Troy's recommendations, particularly Bomber, one of my all time favourite books. Try the BBC radio adaptation as well originally broadcast over one day to shadow the timing of the raid, in stereo you're in the Lancaster!

Dave

• Like 2

Finally getting more paint on the model, mostly Hataka paints. I painted parts in silver and used some Vallejo chipping medium before painting the interior colours, this way the paint chipping will look better than painting it on top.

IMG_20210615_211927161_HDR

There are still lots of details to be painted, parts needs a wash and paint chipping doing, but I've started to assemble the subassemblies that make up the cockpit. Of course, I've been dryfitting everything along the way to make sure I'm not going to have any unexpected fit issues.

IMG_20210615_211900055

Still more etch to add before this can be glued in place

IMG_20210615_211912963

This part is just about ready, but there are other parts I need to get finished before this can be attached.

IMG_20210615_211851697_HDR

Dryfit of all the complete and almost complete parts.

IMG_20210615_211813053_HDR

IMG_20210615_211633553_HDR

IMG_20210615_211630152_HDR

Without the cockpit side

IMG_20210615_211834053_HDR

• Like 16

So I just realised something inconvenient.

This kit provides the clear blister for the H2S radar, but it does not actually provide the parts to go inside the blister. I'm pretty set on having a H2S radar on this model, but if I want that I am either going to have to scratch build one or just do without the detail. I prefer the first option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

So I just realised something inconvenient.

This kit provides the clear blister for the H2S radar, but it does not actually provide the parts to go inside the blister. I'm pretty set on having a H2S radar on this model, but if I want that I am either going to have to scratch build one or just do without the detail. I prefer the first option. 

Are they clear blisters or hazed?

• Like 1