Bristol Blenheim Mk.1, Greece, 1940.*** FINISHED 01/08/2021 ***

Here's my first entry for this GB, Airfix's lovely Mk.1 Blenheim. I have already built it using the kit decals on a previous GB (Pacific theatre I think?) so I am going to do the 211 Sqn. one that I think Airfix have markings in their 1/48th scale kit. Decals are by PlasticPlanet Club.

I also have a Beaufighter Nf.II I want to do later on. Airfix kit with an Alleycat conversion and HighPlanes decals.

More soon.

Davey

DSC_0004 DSC_0005 DSC_0006

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice choice Davey and good to see another build and another Blenheim on here. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, I have a couple of the new Beaufort's as well, but after watching your wonderful build I may do Beaufighter's and Blenheim's instead, you set the bar high!

Davey.

Hi Davey,

I like the desert camo so good choice! I see from another thread in this Group Build that you're across the "glue fuselage together first" trick that for many seems to be the best way to get a good fit on these kits. I hope it goes together well and I'm looking forward to following your build.

Matt

On 6/12/2021 at 7:26 AM, MattG said:

Hi Davey,

I like the desert camo so good choice! I see from another thread in this Group Build that you're across the "glue fuselage together first" trick that for many seems to be the best way to get a good fit on these kits. I hope it goes together well and I'm looking forward to following your build.

Matt

Hi Matt, yeah, I built one a year or two ago and went that route. The main wing is tricky to get in afterwards but does work.

I made a start on this to @CanadaMoe how I go about this Basically glue the two sections of fuselage parts and the glazing, forming one complete half.

I painted the inside of the halves first this time, last time masked off the clear parts as a whole. I should have put paint further back into the fuselage so will have to correct that! 

Also did the cockpit assemblies ready to paint.

DSC_0005

I had difficulty getting the starboard clear bit to sit right to the rear, some slight distortion of the moulding, so cut off the small porthole attached which made life easier. I will use Krystal Klear to fill this.

I cut the front tab on the port side to get that to sit right as well, don't remember having this problem the last time.

DSC_0006

DSC_0007 DSC_0008 DSC_0009

More to come soon.

Davey.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Just catching up with this build Davey, will be interesting to compare Airfix's offerings in the two scales.

Mike

Just had a look at your build Mike, I haven't seen their 48th scale one being done yet.  I did have some 48th and 32nd kits but decided to stick to 1/72nd as I have collected a lot of Bomber Command subjects and wouldn't have the space (or the choice) in 48th.

Been painting the interior of the Blenheim , photo's to appear soon.

Davey.

While waiting for things to dry on the 'Buchon' and Hurricane I got the cockpit done and the fuselage closed up.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

The main wing I already had built up and when offering up to the fuselage it didn't  want to go in 🤔, I did it this way the last time and can't remember any problems although it was tight going. I ended up having to shave off some plastic off the lower part of the wing roots (maybe I did this the last time but can't remember.)

DSC_0004 DSC_0005

The main wing went in eventually with just a little gentle persuasion.

The front section was, again, persuaded to go against the bomb-bay edges with some tape.

DSC_0006

...... but again, as with my first model, there was an issue with the sides of the centre section not lining up with the front and rear fuselage correctly, and leaving gaps either end. This can be fettled before paint though.  I wonder when I come to do one of the Mk.IV's I have to do it according to the instructions?

DSC_0007 DSC_0008

Some slight gaps under the leading edge to sort out but all is well!

DSC_0009

More soon.

Davey.

• Like 12

Nice update Davey and thanks for pointing out these issues and your methods to overcome them. Cockpit details look really nice too. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

Looks really good Davey. It's not the easiest kit to get a good fit especially in the bomb bay, but you've done a great job of it.

Matt

• Thanks 1

Since getting the 'Buchon' done over on the Bf-109 GB I've concentrated on this and the 'Under a Tenner' Hurricane.

Got the airframe together. Going to have the bomb-bay open on this (first time for a bomber model!) so need to paint that before masking for the main colours.

I had kept the Montex masks from the last kit I did, being vinyl they lift all the time, as you can see in the picture, worse since they are used but I'll bash on.

Got some basic paint on the engines and stuff.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

• Like 8

Bit of a laid back week last week but I've got going again on a couple of builds.  I assembled the (dreaded) cowlings and engines, everything pre-painted and I forgot to photograph!   I masked off the exhausts with bits of tape and Blu-Tack, the pre-painted manifold rings will be added after.

Got the primer on, Vallejo Grey primer, sprays straight out of the bottle and dries really flat and smooth, exposes EVERY flaw but there you go!

The rudder came adrift while painting, it's not held on by much, like a lot of other models lately. I forgot to put some Blu-Tack into the bomb-bay, some remedial work to be done there.

I always wince at those 'bulgy' engine nacelles😒

Having to keep pressing down those awful Montex Vinyl masks, I won't be doing another Mk.1 anyway, probably, so will bin them. Although before binning them I may overlay them onto Tamiya Tape and cut them out 🤔

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0011 DSC_0012 DSC_0013

• Like 7

Nice progress Davey, I’m sure the primer also showed up your excellent modelling skills too. Those Montex masks really don’t want to play, do they? Never mind, use them as a Tamiya tape mask and consign then to the bin. Not much you can do about those nacelles, which is a real pity on what otherwise looks like a nice kit. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 11:25 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice progress Davey, I’m sure the primer also showed up your excellent modelling skills too. Those Montex masks really don’t want to play, do they? Never mind, use them as a Tamiya tape mask and consign then to the bin. Not much you can do about those nacelles, which is a real pity on what otherwise looks like a nice kit. 
Cheers.. Dave

I don't know about 'excellent' modelling skills Dave, I just bash on and if it works out Ok I'm happy!

On with the paint, Vallejo ModelAir Middlestone/Dark Earth over Azure Blue. Some touch-ups to do, I scratched the bottom of the  fuselage but it's only minor.

The exhaust manifolds are just placed on at the moment, the starboard one fits fine, the port one not so good for some reason.

Busy with all the 'fiddly' bits.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0003

DSC_0004 DSC_0005

• Like 13

On 7/1/2021 at 12:39 AM, tonyot said:

WOW,... this one is chugging along at a great head of steam and looking excellent too Davey,...... nice one! 

On 7/8/2021 at 12:55 PM, Grandboof said:

Looks awesome 

Martin H

5 hours ago, MattG said:

Looks great in desert colours. Great modelling Davey!

Matt

Thanks guys. Been away on a UK break this week, back Saturday night so will crack on with this next week. 

Been to Duxford for the first time yesterday, impressive. Two of the Spitfires were flying around, some lucky(rich) person got a ride in the Trainer version (tr.9?).

I couldn't afford a flight in a Tiger-Moth! Would love to go in the Harvard (yes, and the Spit!). 

Davey.

• 2 weeks later...

After having a good break, and change of scenery, I couldn't get back into doing any modelling for a bit but here's where we are after some recent work in the man-cave!

The engine cowlings didn't go one quite as well as the last Airfix Blenheim I did, mustn't have trimmed the engines down enough, but it'll do me.

Decals and varnish on, there are some bits to touch up here and there. I got the undercarriage and bomb-doors on, everything going in ok apart from one of the doors needing trimming slightly.

Just got the turret and aerial to fix on then some bits of painting and a small amount of weathering.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0005 DSC_0006 DSC_0007

• Like 12