Sherman Firefly Vc - Airfix 1/72

The new Airfix Sherman Vc in the markings of 3 Troop, A Squadron, Northants Yeomanry, Normandy 1944. It's a decent little kit although unfortunately not strictly compatible with their earlier, excellent 1/76 Cromwell. I found the link and length tracks a bit fiddly, and wish Airfix had allowed for some of the hatches to be displayed open. The only additions from me were a bit of extra stowage - the kit includes plenty of spare track if you want to add some welded to turret or hull sides, as was fairly commonplace. Just noticed, too, that I forgot to drill out the muzzle brake...  

spacer.png   

spacer.png

spacer.png

Taking up an ambush position behind the paint pots... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Best wishes,

Ian

• Like 35
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, sandsmodels said:

they do include the hull mg which was odd and it is on the box art?

IIRC it shouldn't be as Firefly's didn't have them fitted....? Perhaps a std tank is planned for the future?

Very tidy build Ian, really like the dusty weathering.

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Nicely done Ian, for a very casual armour buff, this looks like the sort of thing I could have a go at very happily. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. It was a fun little build, despite some minor annoyances.

43 minutes ago, sandsmodels said:

nice model

pity they did not include the 75mm bits as we could have made a std tank, they do include the hull mg which was odd and it is on the box art?

Yes, Airfix seem to be a bit of confused about the hull MG. They show it being fitted in part 43 of the instructions but all subsequent stages correctly show the blanking armour plate in its place! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

IIRC it shouldn't be as Firefly's didn't have them fitted....? Perhaps a std tank is planned for the future?

Keith

Thanks Keith. Yes, a new gun and turret will give them that option. Think the hull of the standard Mk V is essentially the same - and the MG is already there. 😉 But will they bother? I'm not sure.

• Like 1

A nice firefly I like the subtle weathering, it's a pity airfix didn't mould the hatches separately, being a Northamptonian I have just ordered one to make if lookes as good as yours I will be happy                                    ian

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I found this kit a massive disappointment after the quite decent Cromwell and Bedford QLs.  

I agree it's not on the same level, and certainly not as nice as the Dragon or Heller Shermans. At the very least they could have opened up the hatches, which historically they've always done.

A nice build. I have been looking at these Airfix kits and dithering over what one to try. I am a Firefly fan, so will give it a go and hopefully it will come out as tidy as yours. Cheers Neil

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, neilspen said:

A nice build. I have been looking at these Airfix kits and dithering over what one to try. I am a Firefly fan, so will give it a go and hopefully it will come out as tidy as yours. Cheers Neil

Thanks Neil. I can recommend the 1/76 Cromwell too, which has finer detail and a very clever, stress free way of doing the tracks. 

Lovely job on this, the paint and finish look spot on.

I fancied having a go at this but disappointed about the hatch business. It's a shame they missed the opportunity to add the 75mm gun turret, would have been a good seller I think.

• Thanks 1