Type 142, starting from FROG/Revell Blenheim I - back on track

Real life (the work bit of it) has not cooperated. I have had no time and this won’t get done, nor will the other four or five builds I had hoped to do!

I almost started a cheeky Heller Bf109 this morning when I finally got free, but I decided to press on with this and get the unpleasant jobs out of the way, namely scribing and getting the wings on:

8-DC62449-49-F8-4-A98-87-D7-734-D3-BAB3-

Because the wing tab box forms the floor, I’ve added the wings before closing the fuselage. Cockpit, curtains and seats next!

• Like 10

Cockpit done, decided not to use the Blenheim bits:

A2-DDAFD8-11-DA-4440-BD62-99-BEBB842005.

The instrument binnacle is modelled on a picture from a “Flight” advert in the 1930s. The offset layout of the steering column suggests that the throttles must have been next to the pilot on the right-hand side.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Cockpit ready for paint:

I’m going to go with dull aluminium as a cockpit colour, with an off-black instrument binnacle. And I think I will add a lap belt for the pilot, not a full harness.

Lovely work, Adrian. Worth the wait so don't rush if you don't have to (will I take my own advice?) I'll continue watching this one into next week. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Worth the wait

Thanks! I knew it wasn’t going to get in a while back - there aren’t enough rattlecan silver drying days left! I will see if I can get the topic transferred to WIP…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Well, curtains are no problem:

0250-A7-D5-0811-4844-900-A-7-A0722018-B7

My son was rather bemused when I asked him for a cigarette paper. Crumpled, tied with rigging thread and dipped in Future prior to painting. Painted and hung:

E1-D2-E95-C-00-A2-4-B55-99-D2-9-E55-D7-D

The fuselage is only 5’4” tall by 4’1” wide, and my giant wing spar box eats around 1’4” of the height, so I can’t credibly fit a whole seat in:

CAE284-AA-A56-C-4135-B194-913-F2-A781-BE

A straw poll of professional pilots suggests that my “floor” is at seat pad level, so I will model chairs from there up. The layout would just work in the real thing if the front seat sits over the front spar:

694-EBBBF-EC4-E-4-B0-C-BA08-4-E9-E7-B345

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Well, I haven’t finished, but I’ve made some progress and I feel like I’m finally approaching the home straight. Cockpit is done:

1-F7-D89-DA-65-E6-4-A30-B2-AB-AA99-F1-BD

C4-AA9629-D3-BB-48-CD-8-F10-E38375-A2-AF

Seats (all speculative) are done:

612-BDDD4-B4-B9-4554-8-DC1-5-E00-C071-B9

And even visible through the curtains:

C067772-E-44-E3-4-F4-D-88-F5-20-B0-DC919

I'm sorry not to have got anything finished for this one. I am a big fan of Bristols (down, @CedB!) and I’ve really enjoyed watching  the builds in this GB. I will resume this build in WIP, but realistically it will be at least a fortnight before I get to touch it again.

Does anyone know If it’s possible to get a thread moved to WIP?

Thanks for a smashing GB!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 17

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, I haven’t finished, but I’ve made some progress and I feel like I’m finally approaching the home straight. Cockpit is done:

1-F7-D89-DA-65-E6-4-A30-B2-AB-AA99-F1-BD

C4-AA9629-D3-BB-48-CD-8-F10-E38375-A2-AF

Seats (all speculative) are done:

612-BDDD4-B4-B9-4554-8-DC1-5-E00-C071-B9

And even visible through the curtains:

C067772-E-44-E3-4-F4-D-88-F5-20-B0-DC919

I'm sorry not to have got anything finished for this one. I am a big fan of Bristols (down, @CedB!) and I’ve really enjoyed watching  the builds in this GB. I will resume this build in WIP, but realistically it will be at least a fortnight before I get to touch it again.

Thanks for a smashing GB!

Regards,

Adrian

Shame this hasn't made it to the Gallery, A lot more work than I would ever attempt on a model!

I'm sure I've seen build threads transfered to other sections on the site, give @Enzo Matrix a message to find out?

Davey.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Adrian, I have just recently started a WIP thread in Maritime for an HMS Gloucester (1910) resin build that stalled during the 'In the Navy' Group Build last year, and all I did was add a link to the GB thread I had been doing so anyone who wanted to could look back at that. 

I hope that helps!

I know I for one will be very happy to see this progress so I will keep an eye out for this most amazing conversion!

Cheers, Ray

• Thanks 1

I had my Hawker Tempest thread shifted to a WiP last year, year before :shrug: by using the report thingy in the 3 dots menu & requesting same. Easy peasy, for me anyway. :)

I too will be keen to see the continuation of this.

Steve.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

After a bit of a delay (going to NL to see my daughter get her MA - the travel restrictions were eased just in time for us to get there!) I’ve made some progress. Fuselage halves stuck together and clamped:

2-B70-EDBF-45-F0-4723-96-FB-7-F9-BC7345-

Lots of sanding was needed at the top to get the top windows smoothed in and polished again.

I had the enviable option of three viable vac canopies:

C6231794-86-D8-420-B-93-E9-E130-E12-AC76

Canopy on and looking good:

1-D17-A36-F-0-CA6-48-BE-ACED-BC0596-BB53

Next, I need to fill around the canopy and all around the wing/fuselage joints, including the flat underside. There Will Be Sanding. And then some of Mr Halford’s finest primer. (after masking, of course) (oh, and tailplanes, I suppose)

• Like 18

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Canopy on and looking good:

Couldn't have put it better myself Adrian. Great progress on this.

You make a lovely set of curtains too by the way. :wink:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

all coming together

Hoping so…

17 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Nearly there

Let’s not jinx it though! Side order of freshly slaughtered Albatross to make sure?

17 hours ago, Brandy said:

how can you go wrong with Bristols?

Cheeky…

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You make a lovely set of curtains too by the way

About the only set of curtains I’ve had in my adult life that hasn’t made me feel faint when I heard how much they cost!

Milliput day today. These fittings aren’t on the civilian version:

B61-C88-A3-7786-4929-94-C9-3-F413239283-

Somehow it all seemed a lot less messy in my head before I started:

2-D110467-4-BAE-42-C0-9626-A0829-ACFE85-

EBC108-C0-92-D3-43-FC-9-E6-B-886-F3-ACDE

Time to let it all harden (and hope that the canopy stays on through all the sanding!)

• Like 11

Massively late to the party but an enjoyable time this morning catching up in a little cottage beside the sea. You make this look so effortless. It’s a pleasure to watch your builds come together. Beautiful stuff. I spied your home made vac u form machine. I might need to make one of those for my little droids light. 🤔

Tagging along for the rest of the journey if I may.

Johnny

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

home made vac u form machine

Thanks Johnny. I'm a big fan of paint stripper hot air guns as a source of heat, at least for small sheets up to around three inches square.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1