Type 142, starting from FROG/Revell Blenheim I - back on track

I am beginning to lose track of the number of times that I’ve said “that’s the hard part done with”…

Nacelles and undercarriage doors cut out and ready to go:

9411-C75-F-3-E66-4064-9-E66-0-B714-D7-B9

I’m pretty pleased with them, although I’m beginning to think that the Frog undercarriage legs will be a bit too wide. So it may be Albion Alloys tubing time again…

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

What happened to the Empire?

It's cosying up to the set of parts for a Fairey Long Range Monoplane, and they will be resumed after four more Blenheims (I rather optimistically hope in this GB), an ICM SB-2 and possibly a Martin Baltimore. I have been thinking about how to do the next steps though, and am starting to feel embarrassed enough to resume it (or the Fairey)...

(Unless I start another random kit on a whim)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Didn’t make much progress this week because I had a cold. It’s quite a surprise to be reminded that there used to be respiratory illnesses that were merely unpleasant but didn’t kill you! Back on it this weekend, after seeing how much garden and household recycling you can collect and stuff into a Fiat 500 and still be able to drive it to the local recycling centre. Quite a lot, it turns out.

A final check on the nacelles and doors. Close enough for me:

1-DA650-F3-4-F5-E-4-F98-B912-54-C7-BFEB2

The FROG Blenheim legs are too wide for the Type 142. So I have provided alternative leg locations but have yet to construct the legs to go in them:

06-D5-BF43-4-B02-4959-B49-B-D5-E3-B0-D4-

Using the concept introduced to these forums by @Procopius, I’m not sure whether this is kind to Future Adrian or throwing him under a bus - I’m sure he’ll work it out somehow.

The cowling of the Type 142 is rather different from the Blenheim, so I have prepared for that by modelling the forward taper of the nacelle, using a stack of plastic disks and filler (yet to dry enough to be sanded):

2-B950-D82-9156-4767-9198-DF14651-D85-AD

I have also sanded down some of the profile curve from the back of the nacelle, after adding some Milliput inside to stop me sanding through.

• Like 11

You're doing a pretty good job so far Adrian. I understand about the cold part. I'm getting rid of an aggravating head cold that I've have for about a week myself.  I thought it was allergies flaring up again. didn't even consider it was an actual head cold. who'd a thunk it? and in this day and age to boot.🤧

• Thanks 1

I should say that I stole the phrase (in bowdlerised form) from the Canadian author Joey Comeau, whose original formulation cannot be used on these forums, or indeed, within earshot of the impressionable youth.

Looking incredible so far!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I want to start whittling the lower wing roots so that they snuggle up to the fuselage, minimising the amount of filling that will be needed. The trouble is, without an inset wing box, the two top halves of the wings, although positively connected, slop about in the fuselage, so getting them square is a pain. So I measured the width of the fuselage at two places, measured the width across the wing roots, and added some spacers and tabs to butt up to the fuselage. Result: positive alignment every time:

34324748-329-E-45-EE-B9-A2-209-C9-DD5802

Quitting while I’m ahead tonight :)

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

aggravating head cold

The good old days, huh?

16 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Canadian author Joey Comeau

I think my interest has been piqued enough to add one to my reading list. I promise not to be shocked…

Well I didn’t quit. Just wanted to see what happens if you whittle the lower half wing roots to make them fit their new position on the fuselage:

B2420379-2-A8-F-4-C41-B230-152-FC6-A85-C

BE8367-A4-5-BD0-4-C62-AAB7-BCBDE1-E65590

That happens. Good enough for me. I can’t think of any reason not to glue the wing halves together right now, but I bet I will remember one tomorrow if I do. So I’m really quitting this time!

• Like 11

Wow, Adrian, this is a job and a half!! Fascinating how you've moved those wings but I wish I hadn't looked now - I'm going to see all the shape issues with the Old Tool Kit. Looking forward to the rest of this build. Mike

• Thanks 1

On 18/09/2021 at 18:03, Ventora3300 said:

the shape issues

I don’t think the old FROG Blenheim is bad on the fundamental shapes at all (in contrast to the old Airfix one!), but I’ve devoted most of today’s modelling time to shape issues!

The fairings on the 142 (on the Right, post surgery) were much smaller than the Blenheim:

C2076-C49-9027-443-D-B65-C-F5-EB6-C416-B

I suspect they may simply have been too small on the 142, but they look more accurate now.

I have also trimmed down the tailplanes, sanded the fuselage down more so the profile is pretty much spot on to the plan - the plastic is very thin now - re-profiled the wingtips and started on the cowlings:

D53-ECC68-C1-BF-4-AA9-BE9-D-3-F50-D55-F4

The cowlings had no cooling gills and they were perched ahead of the nacelle with a gap at the back. So they were basically hanging off the engines. I have put some spacers at the back of the engines to connect to the front of the nacelle and I need to thin down the trailing edge of the cowling.

Next up will be roof windows, cockpit and interior, and minor rudder re-profiling.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

I'd love to see completed.

Me too!  The original is a very attractive and unique aeroplane. I had high hopes of getting a bunch'o'Blenheims in this GB too, but real life has got in the way. If I can get this one done in time I'll be happy! The Blenheims will have to go in WIP.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I don’t think the old FROG Blenheim is bad on the fundamental shapes at all

Hi all,

I think that Frog got the basic airframe pretty accurate in this 1/72 Blenheim. Worst thing is the slightly too far forward located wing, although not as drastically than in this project ;) Otherwise IIRC there was a bit too much plastic in the rudder trailing edge upper part and possible a bit narrow empennage. And better nacelles than Airfix got on their new gentlemen scalers...

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

On 20/09/2021 at 19:12, AaCee26 said:

I think that Frog got the basic airframe pretty accurate in this 1/72 Blenheim

I agree! The wing root leading edge can be fixed by sanding the leading edge inboard of the motors to remove the slight sweep back. This gives just enough room to make that last window on the port side rectangular again. And I agree about the top of the rudder needing a bit taken off. I've tapered the wingtips a bit more on this one to match the plans, and the tail plane is much smaller than the Blenheim anyway. 

I've been worrying about pictures like this for a while. They show a perfectly flat underside across the fuselage between the wings. My lowering of the wings resulted in a 1mm "belly" between and below the wing roots. My first inclination was to fill the bottom of the fuselage with Milliput to allow me to sand like crazy, but on reflection I decided to drop the wings by 1mm or so. This required me to dig out the newly-hardened Milliput inside the fuselage to make room for the newly-lowered wing tabs 🙄. However, it's done, and the fuselage has been restored above the wing with a strip of 1mm square held in by lashings of superglue, sanded smooth. Hopefully this won't shrink or crack:

AE00-C367-148-F-45-FE-8-A6-B-9-C48-E1244

And underneath you can see that the good fit I got for the lower wings is now a bit adrift, but with some clamping and a bit of Milliput during assembly,  and considerably less sanding I originally anticipated, I will be able to get a flat bottom (ooh-er):

2-D8-C3110-F584-462-C-9-B4-F-71-C32-B3-E

This task wasn't on my list but I think it's helped me avoid a future disaster!

• Like 12

On 20/09/2021 at 13:05, Malc2 said:

What do we have to do to get you going on the Fairey LRM again!!????

I'm beginning to feel the heat so it is working its way up the list...

You could have a word with my boss about my day job. Oh wait - I am my boss!

• Haha 2

Well, that’s the hard bit done - again! Roof windows cut out:

94-A22-A52-D809-41-B7-AC67-C5319-E60-D1-

At last, when cutting tiny bits of brass tube, I remembered to thread them on a rod to stop them pinging off into outer space:

084-ADC39-6-C9-E-43-CB-B312-ACCAD5-BDAFA

So you can stick them (after crushing them in pliers next to a piece of 40thou card so they are all the same ovality) to your cowlings instead:

0-DBC937-F-6-AD8-4199-A130-41509482-E3-A

Weird tail wheel fairing made from sprue and inset into the fuselage:

46-E8-A113-3-AD9-4902-9-B4-E-FAF8620-B8-

Windows made from slices of a polystyrene wine glass that I have been nursing since a going to a work drinks party in (I think) 2010! Very fragile and fiddly but curved and super-clear:

D9760-D72-5-D3-B-45-A2-90-F9-F580566596-

Sharpied round the edges to kill internal reflection and given a coat of my old super-thick future at the back to glue them in:

D4987-B77-1392-4529-A61-A-29054-E394-A03

A bit of paint to undercoat the interior and check for booboos:

5172559-E-7126-4946-BE5-E-D297-C797955-F

Next up scribing, then we might actually even stick something together! Crazy talk… when does this GB finish?

• Like 17