Type 142, starting from FROG/Revell Blenheim I - back on track

4 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

My apologies if I spoil your day!

Dude! You got me! Completely missed that, even though I pondered whether to reproduce the backing plate for the variable incidence tail (which would only work with a mid mounted tailplane). Oh well, I will do it properly next time…

2 hours ago, Martian said:

I have never heard of the like! :frantic:

I’ve actually still not touched the surface even after 27 hours ( what, me, counting??). This “day job” thingey is good for something, after all!

I’m now wondering if it’s too shiny… 🙄

Regards,

Adrian

I had left it a day so I cautiously peeled off the masking tape:

42-DAEC5-A-5-E99-440-F-B92-F-0-C4-DC7-B4

It isn't perfect, either in construction or finish, but I felt like trying to improve on it would be fruitless. I still haven’t touched it, and judging by how my fingertips have a silvery hue just from touching the cocktail sticks, I think the first order of the day will be a coat of Pledge polish to seal it a bit.

• Like 25

15 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

What did you spray it with

Halford's rattlecan chrome enamel. Super stuff, BUT super fragile.

Unfortunately.....

After removing the masking I noticed a few small scratches and imperfections that aren't visible in the photo but are very much visible to the naked eye. After a disastrous failed attempt at touching these up, I realise that I have made it a lot worse, not better.

So I will be re-masking and re-finishing. And while I'm about it I can do some more work on the still-too-prominent panel lines and I might as well drop those tail planes down too. That way I can blame @AaCee26:wicked:

I thought it was going a bit too smoothly....

Regards,

Adrian

[edit] I've just realised that I've got two unused tail planes in the kit I've been cannibalising for spares, so that will make things a lot easier. The wrongly-positioned tail planes can now be removed with extreme prejudice - where did I put that angle grinder??

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Halford's rattlecan chrome enamel. Super stuff, BUT super fragile.

Unfortunately.....

After removing the masking I noticed a few small scratches and imperfections that aren't visible in the photo but are very much visible to the naked eye. After a disastrous failed attempt at touching these up, I realise that I have made it a lot worse, not better.

So I will be re-masking and re-finishing. And while I'm about it I can do some more work on the still-too-prominent panel lines and I might as well drop those tail planes down too. That way I can blame @AaCee26:wicked:

I thought it was going a bit too smoothly....

Regards,

Adrian

Oh bad luck, mate. I suspect you couldn't have lived with the tailplane error for long anyway?

I wonder what car application needs super fragile silver paint from Halfords?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I wonder what car application needs super fragile silver paint from Halfords?

They note that it is pretty fragile and not for heavy duty use. Their aluminium spray is a little less shiny but super tough, so the two make a good combo for shiny metal and silver doped fabric inter-war subjects.

At least the model isn't rusting away faster than I can apply Plastic Padding and grey primer. That was where I first became acquainted with Mr Halford and his products, on a 1978 Renault 5 TS, rear wheel arches, couldn't design a better moisture trap!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I love the Halfords paints, their primer and topcoat spray wonderfully,  so wonderful, I sprayed an entire car in them, with six coats of top coat and 4 of primer before hand.  I couldn't afford to pay someone so bought six cans whenever I could and got them for birthday and Christmas too, really worked well,  great stuff. The car looked great and I had it in that guise for 14 years.

Looking forward to seeing your tailplane adjustments and the respray.

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 3:20 PM, AdrianMF said:

Nah! Don't be shy, Adrian! You want to fix it you want to fix it, you want to fix it, fix it!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Nah! Don't be shy, Adrian! You want to fix it you want to fix it, you want to fix it, fix it!

Cheers,

AaCee

No, it is no good!

Blame has been apportioned, you win.

In other things Adrian have an almighty wow, she is a beauty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah...

Luvckily this is not the only thing Adrian will take care of. 

And the model is a wonderful conversion by any means! A true beaty!  He is a wizzard with this corrections, conversion and scratch-builds. I have learnt (and forgot 🙄) a lot from Adrian's projects.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nice thread, great result! I was curious what is your next project, and I am fully satisfied :)

Congrats for what you have already done, even if it is not finished yet but it is really very close now... 

Regards

J-W

P.S.

Recently I used Tamiya rattle can silver and I was surprised how fast it goes dry. 

• Thanks 1

I've just read the whole thread. Cor blimey! I can't say it's inspired me to do this kind of thing - more frightened me away! What a brave and technical builder you are. I'm reminded of the Airfix Magazine conversions of the 1960's I admired those too, without ever wanting to do one.

I enjoyed your writing style too. Thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sometimes, progress is hard to spot:

CDF355-D8-DAF6-48-AA-AEE6-7-D814-CF41-E4

Windows re-masked, tailplanes removed and smoothed over, flawed surfaces sanded down. Time for more masking, filler and sanding, then I will add new tailplanes in the right place and we can try priming again.

I’ve been dreading having to do this, so I’m glad I started. Time for some Spads as light relief.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Type 142, starting from FROG/Revell Blenheim I - not so shiny now :(

Definitely the right move to remove and correct the tail surfaces.

You know full well you would never have been happy with them after the error was brought up.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...