Anti-Flak Mossie - 404 Sqn RCAF, Banff Strike Wing 1945 *FINISHED!*

Cockpit is installed:

tn_Mosquito VI (13)

I went for the chatty crew scene, and added oxygen masks and R/T cables.

tn_Mosquito VI (15)

It's a tight fit in there so the pilots' legs needed to go, sorry chap 😔

The fuselage was then glued together, so I moved on to the wings. There are some substantial landing lights which needed some detail adding:

tn_Mosquito VI (16)

The kit just gives you clear soup dishes so I backed them with foil-wrapped plastic card discs and added little lens 'bulbs'.

tn_Mosquito VI (14)

Looks a bit more authentic once fitted. I also need to paint the radiator interiors at the wing roots before I can assemble the wings. Otherwise, this should be more or less Mosquito-shaped by tomorrow 👍

• Like 12

What are they saying though?

The coloured tuning knobs on the radio really finish it off. There's a company in Germany who make 3D printed sets of knobs and switches, I'm seriously considering investing in some for my 1/32 cockpits.

John

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

What are they saying though?

Knowing navs, he's probably saying 'course is 062, do you realise you're flying 061' like it's easy to manually fly within 1 degree on a magnetic compass at 30ft above the waves in and out of cloud while trying to maintain formation 😉

Edit: @Biggles87 do you have a link to the company you mentioned in Germany?

• Haha 4

Tried posting you a link but it didn’t work ( probably my fault ), but the company is called ANYZ. The domain is .io but I read somewhere that they are based in Germany, their prices are quoted in Euros.

John

• Thanks 2

Great tip on the landing light. I’m robbing that idea😆

Trevor

BTW @The wooksta V2.0 highlighted to me that the back end of the nacelles need looking at. If you look at photos the shape aft of the undercarriage door is concave, whereas Revell continue it as a convex curve. I’m well away from that bit, but I’m thinking maybe lashings of Milliput on the inside and lots of filing are in my future.....

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the top tips gents.

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

If you look at photos the shape aft of the undercarriage door is concave, whereas Revell continue it as a convex curve.

That's pretty annoying, but I'll probably have to let that go, or just smooth out the curves. That's a lot of work 😤

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Tried posting you a link but it didn’t work ( probably my fault ), but the company is called ANYZ. The domain is .io but I read somewhere that they are based in Germany, their prices are quoted in Euros.

Thanks very much John, I've spent some of my holiday money over there already! Will come in very useful for the F-35 coming up next.

On 6/10/2021 at 11:55 AM, Alan P said:

Just about to move on to painting these guys but it's made me realise something - I have no idea what RAF aircrew were wearing by this stage of the war (Coastal Command, April/May 1945?) Full leathers and boots? Leather jacket over standard blues? Lightweight flying suits? Any help on this much appreciated!

Alan

Hi Alan.   Very nice build so far, I'll be following closely.  With regard to what CC Mosquito crews wore - from all I've read, with the radiators so close to the cockpit, it got extremely warm inside.   As such, for low level work, it was rare to see leather jackets and the heavy flying boots.   I'm not an RAF uniform expert but it seems that they often just flew in their standard issue "ground" uniform, plus life preserver, etc.   Hope this helps.

John 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 11bravo said:

With regard to what CC Mosquito crews wore - from all I've read, with the radiators so close to the cockpit, it got extremely warm inside.   As such, for low level work, it was rare to see leather jackets and the heavy flying boots.   I'm not an RAF uniform expert but it seems that they often just flew in their standard issue "ground" uniform, plus life preserver, etc.   Hope this helps.

John 

Thanks very much John, though it'll look more like a kid's copy after your masterpiece 👍 Agree with you about the uniform, but the limitation of the kit figures forced the full leather appearance in the end. To be fair, I'm not sure how much will be visible through the canopy when it's assembled!

Was able to do some work on this in the cool early morning:

tn_Mosquito VI (18)

The Grey Matter nose is attached, CA glue with epoxy fastener. The cuts i made weren't precisely symmetrical, so it's slightly wonky (about 2 degrees rotation to port 😢)

tn_Mosquito VI (19)

It's a nice piece and includes the cannon moulded in place. Unfortunately there's no opening for the gun camera so there'll be some drilling to do. 

tn_Mosquito VI (20)

Other than that, the fit was pretty good, nothing a bit of milliput can't handle.

tn_Mosquito VI (23)

Alan

• Like 15

25 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

That looks very nice. Is that nose hollow, otherwise that would be a rather heavy lump!

Trevor

It is a solid lump. But the Tornado F3 conversion gave me lots of practice with such things 😂

• Thanks 1

Quick question for anyone who might know...

This panel on the starboard side, is it just for PR aircraft? I believe this was the access hatch for the big camera in the belly?

tn_Mosquito VI (21) tn_Mosquito VI (22)

The camera port itself was moulded on the kit and I removed it earlier.

Also, I'm thinking the same was true for these moulded holes in the bomb bay doors:

tn_Mosquito VI (23)

Again, I think these were only on the PR aircraft where the oblique cameras were mounted, the cannon bay would be right above them 🤔

Any info would be very appreciated!

Final state of play this evening...

tn_Mosquito VI (17)

It's a pretty shape alright, amazed I haven't built a model of this aircraft before! Bit like the P-38s I made last year, a beautiful aeroplane I only just discovered.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments, tips and observations so far, please keep them coming!

Alan

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Alan P said:

This panel on the starboard side, is it just for PR aircraft? I

No, all Mosquitos had it, it was the access door into the rear fuselage.

Note the serial of your chosen subject should be RF838, not RS838, which wasn't a mosquito serial

There's more details including photo's of this airframe on the Aviaeology More RCAF Mosquitos sheet, see here for a preview, you can get a digital download of the instructions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

No, all Mosquitos had it, it was the access door into the rear fuselage.

Note the serial of your chosen subject should be RF838, not RS838, which wasn't a mosquito serial

There's more details including photo's of this airframe on the Aviaeology More RCAF Mosquitos sheet, see here for a preview, you can get a digital download of the instructions.

Thanks for the info before i did anything silly! I already have the Aviaeology pdf, any typos in print are mine alone, etc etc 😉

8 hours ago, Alan P said:

any typos in print are mine alone, etc

Not entirely Alan, the RS typo is on the Aviaeology sheet as well, I would have expected Terry to have corrected it for the website/pdf even if it had got through proof reading for the hard copy with the decals.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Not entirely Alan, the RS typo is on the Aviaeology sheet as well

I'll have to check the Xtradecal sheet (same airframe), this might be one of those persistent errors from an incorrect original source?

9 hours ago, Alan P said:

I'll have to check the Xtradecal sheet (same airframe), this might be one of those persistent errors from an incorrect original source?

The photo's in the Aviaeology sheet clearly show EO-A is RF838, the decals, cover sheet and web page refer to all the aircraft on the sheet as being RF8**, but for some reason the narrative on pages 2 and 3 refer to them all as being RS8**. This is clearly wrong, both from the photographic evidence provided with the set and known RS serial  Mosquitoes all being between RS501 and RS723.

I don't have the Xtradecal sheet, but the instructions posted on Scalemates show the correct serial RF838, so if the decals match this you should be good to go.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to @Dave Swindell's timely input I've smoothed a couple of bumps in the road. RF838 will be the finished airframe when I get there!

tn_Mosquito VI (25)

Engine nacelles assembled and finished - I'm not going to correct the shape at the back as it's not a deal breaker for me. Preserving the fine raised rivet detail is a bit more of a headache though as there's lots of gaps and cracks here that need working on.

tn_Mosquito VI (24)

Prop spinners - these need to be completely filled. I have a plan for the spinning prop look which I'll reveal at a later date :ninja:

tn_Mosquito VI (29)

Remodelled the tailwheel to look retracted - close enough is good enough, as I say!

Moving to the nose...

tn_Mosquito VI (26)

This end needs a bit of work - first changing the shape in front of the canopy for the fighter-style flat canopy...

tn_Mosquito VI (27)

Those gaps will need some filling! Milliput will be the weapon of choice, also will be used for filling the prop spinners. That'll be tomorrow's job I reckon...

tn_Mosquito VI (28)

The nacelles fit fairly well - I had to shim the trailing edge on both sides as there was a large gap on both inboard edges caused by a mismatch in height between the two nacelle halves.

tn_Mosquito VI (30)

Some decent gaps to fill but probably Tamiya tape will do the trick in these hard to see areas.

Cheers all for the good input, this will already be much better than if I'd built it on my own without the Britmodeller WIP 👍

Alan

• Like 16

Looking good. For filling in those gaps in the nose, try a shim of plastic card or thin spruce first. It’ll reduce the amount of filler that you’ll need and will dry quicker as a result.

You’ll have this finished before mine comes out of the box!

Trevor

***SPRUE*** predictive texas 

• Thanks 1