Anti-Flak Mossie - 404 Sqn RCAF, Banff Strike Wing 1945 *FINISHED!*

Thanks James and John 

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Shame about the gap in the masking

47 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Shame about the errant green shape, I don’t suppose you’ll be able to disguise it as weathering.

I used the Alclad Mil-Spec Med Sea Grey so it'll look like a repair patch. That's my story at least 🤣

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 4:33 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes looking great with the camouflage on the green looks good with your shading effects too. Great job fella it's going to have an impressive in your display.

Thanks Chris, once again 👍

Decals on:

tn_Mosquito VI (61)

Main markings are Xtradecal, stencils by Aviaeology. All behaved themselves, although the Xtradecal sheet is incomplete - it lacks the 'Anygumchum' name/title on the left nose. To be fair, they probably left it off as there are no definitive photos or sources for what was actually written on it!

I used @stevehnz's diluted Klear technique and it was very successful. Thanks very much for that top tip Steve :thanks: 

tn_Mosquito VI (65)

Added some bare-metal patches where the exhaust shrouds were removed - the extra few knots speed also increased endurance for these long-range missions to the Skagerrak, northern fjords and Kattegat to attack German shipping.

tn_Mosquito VI (66)

Long-range slipper tanks added, along with the washes.

Final flat coat:

tn_Mosquito VI (67)

Ready for the masks to come off next. Very happy with the look of it so far!

Alan

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much @bigbadbadge @elger @ArnoldAmbrose @stevehnz and @81-er This is on it's final run to completion now :yahoo:

tn_Mosquito VI (69)

Paint wear'n'tear effects are completed - these aircraft were quite new and very well-maintained.

tn_Mosquito VI (70)

Exhaust stains, smoke around the gun/cannon ports and the scorch marks behind the rocket rails area. Also added the subtle exhaust staining on the underside of the stabilisers. 

Only after taking this phot I realised the tail wheel hadn't been painted and I hadn't removed the landing light masks, or painted the cannon barrels :lol:

Give me a minute....

• Like 7

I'll be honest I wasn't happy with the canopy after the masks came off (it's by far the most problematic part of the build, why, oh why did I miss that Paragon set on eBay :wall:) so it was reset and framed with Tamiya tape strips painted in the relevant colours.

tn_Mosquito VI (75)

Still not great, unfortunately the weakest part of the build :sad:

But the rest is making up for it:

tn_Mosquito VI (71)

Exhaust stacks and rockets fitted

tn_Mosquito VI (72)

That is one mean machine!

I fitted one machine gun to test the fitting of the tubes - it sticks out a bit too far but I'm not that bothered to be honest.

tn_Mosquito VI (73)

Tailwheel finished and landing lights revealed. Also fitted the trailing aerial mast because all the Standard Motors FB.VIs seemed to have them even though the aerial wasn't fitted.

tn_Mosquito VI (74)

I also drilled out the hole for the stand, another 5mm carbon fibre rod which is my new favourite inflight mount. 

Just the finishing touches to go now! Very pleased with this, considering it was a bit of a punt at the conversion. I really think I need a Tamiya Mosquito in my life, so I'll start saving.

Cheers and thanks for all the support, input and encouragement along the way guys :thanks:

Alan

• Like 11

Looking seriously good, but then it's a Mosquito ...... fae Banff! And built by your good self. Of course it looks good!

Don't be too hard on yourself over the canopy framing - you've made the best of it, and it'll look ok at normal viewing distances. Cameras are cruel, but even your close-up looks good to me.

Q

• Thanks 1

Love it Alan , weathering does look good and good to see you got the exhaust staining on the tailplane too, the canopy looks great considering what you started with and the correctmade, so top job all round fella 

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys, I would have shelved this a long time ago if not for the encouragement you've given along the way. Hope to show the finished work later on. 

• Like 1

Tamam Shud* :analintruder:

tn_Mosquito VI (81)

Look out for more in Ready For Inspection. Thanks again to everyone who followed the build, it's turned out better than I expected but took a lot longer!

All the best,

Alan

*means 'it is finished', look that one up - it'll blow your mind! :hypnotised:

• Like 13

• Alan P changed the title to Anti-Flak Mossie - 404 Sqn RCAF, Banff Strike Wing 1945 *FINISHED!*
1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey looked up Tamam Shud, very interesting indeed . 

Thanks Chris, it's one of the great unsolved mysteries, creepy story! 

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Beautiful!

John

Thanks John, appreciate your input along the way 👍

• Like 1

Ithink you just need to paint the 20mm Cannon ejection ports on the forward part of the Bombay (Armament bay) but other than that it's a cracker!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rob said:

Ithink you just need to paint the 20mm Cannon ejection ports on the forward part of the Bombay (Armament bay) but other than that it's a cracker!

Thanks, there's always that one thing missing! Didn't even notice those but now it's obvious 👍