Anti-Flak Mossie - 404 Sqn RCAF, Banff Strike Wing 1945 *FINISHED!*

Thanks for looking in, I'm teetering on the brink of completely losing interest in this build, and it's all down to the stupid canopy. I should have gone with the bomber build :lol:

tn_Mosquito VI (43)

Much fiddling about and this is as good as it's going to get. I've used tape strips for the internal framing, and will probably do the same for the exterior eventually.

tn_Mosquito VI (42)

Doesn't look like much from the outside, but hopefully the adjustments I've made are more or less what I set out to get.

One thing I was pretty pleased with were the spinning props:

tn_Mosquito VI (44)

I used some acetate sheet and sprayed with enamels to get the blur effect.

tn_Mosquito VI (45)

This is basically the effect I was hoping for - will definitely use this again in future.

So - I masked it all up and hit it with Halfords Filler Primer - the conversion builder's best friend!

tn_Mosquito VI (46)

Wow, that's yellow 😎

tn_Mosquito VI (47)

That'll do. I'm happy with the radiator intakes in particular.

So, this is back on track, hopefully more updates this week.

Alan

• Like 13

You’re coming to the fun bit soon in applying the camouflage!

How good a fit were the wing parts in general? (I’ve still got a cockpit to finish first😆)

Trevor

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

You’re coming to the fun bit soon in applying the camouflage!

How good a fit were the wing parts in general? (I’ve still got a cockpit to finish first😆)

Trevor

Hi Trevor, The wing halves assemble just fine. The radiator faces need a bit of trimming (well, the bit where they slot in, read the instructions VERY carefully!) The nacelles fit together okay but leave some impressive gaps and seams along the outboard wing join and particularly at the trailing edge. Mine needed some filing (yes, FILING not filling, but you'll need that anyway!) to get the nacelle to fit the wing properly. The wing-to-fuselage fit is pretty good but again you might need to do some careful filing to match the dihedral angle. The same is true of the stabilisers, I'd definitely fit them first so they match each other and the tail before fitting the wings, otherwise you might end up with a slightly twisted aeroplane! (I did on the first try!)

• Thanks 1

Looking good Alan, the tape framing seems to work well. I love the blurred props and the shot below has convinced me I need there to be a mosquito in my life in the not too far distant future!

56 minutes ago, Alan P said:

tn_Mosquito VI (45)

• Like 3

On 7/10/2021 at 6:19 PM, SaminCam said:

Looking good Alan, the tape framing seems to work well. I love the blurred props and the shot below has convinced me I need there to be a mosquito in my life in the not too far distant future!

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get round to building one, beautiful aeroplane. 

On 7/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Glad you didn't shelve it, the canopy is great considering what you have had to do.  The home made prop blurs look wonderful and it looks fantastic in primer.

Great job fella.

Chris

thanks again Chris, the next step should look good too!

Started on the drop tanks and rockets, this Mosquito Strike Force was one awesome offensive weapon. I can only imagine how the Kriegsmarine sailors felt when forty of these rocket firing Mossies came barrelling over the fjord accompanied by twenty Mustangs :yikes:

Alan

• Like 2

Gidday Alan, don't give up now. I don't know much about the different canopies (I'm a model ship bloke) but it looks good to me. And that prop blur - superb. Please carry on. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the support - spinning props are always a bit of a pain in the behind to look reasonable but this is finally a technique that might work long term!

tn_Mosquito VI (49)

Fitted the sleeves for the .303s - all the barrels and seats are by Master of Poland. 

tn_Mosquito VI (48)

How good are these! No plastic kit can get this kind of look.

tn_Mosquito VI (50)

Here are some of the accessories: props you've seen, just for show 😉, exhausts in AK Xtreme Burnt Metal, slipper tanks in both Medium Sea Grey and Aluminium for a bit of variation. Was considering doing one in Sky but opted instead for Alclad Mil-Spec MSG to contrast with the GS Mr Color MSG I'll be using for the main paintjob. Just as an aside - I think this is the best way to get natural-looking variation on a finish. Forget all that time-consuming pre-shading nonsense, just use a combination of different manufacturers' paint for any given shade, your shading problems are over :lol:  

And finally:

tn_Mosquito VI (51)

Managed to get the underside primed in Tamiya Fine Surface Grey (still the best primer as far as I'm concerned) just before the torrential downpour began. Will do the topside tomorrow. REALLY pleased with the smooth finish. Polishing back the Halfords Filler Primer gives a great surface for paint.

Anyway, I'm back in love with this build so it'll be finished sooner rather than later, thanks very much for the positive comments which greased the wheels of this one 👍

:cheers:Alan

• Like 7

Gidday Alan, I'm glad you're back on deck (a naval expression) with this one. If I may, a technical question on the aircraft itself (and apologies if you've answered it earlier), the nose guns and belly guns - which are are the .303s and what calibre are the others? Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Alan, I'm glad you're back on deck (a naval expression) with this one. If I may, a technical question on the aircraft itself (and apologies if you've answered it earlier), the nose guns and belly guns - which are are the .303s and what calibre are the others? Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I'm half Navy myself 😂

The four .303s are mounted in line abreast on the tip of the nose and protrude from the front. The belly guns are four 20mm cannon. It was a pretty devastating broadside given the tight concentration of fire. 

• Thanks 1

Gidday again, thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case, as it makes sense to me to have the heavier guns closer to the centre of gravity, less weight in the nose. And yeah, I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of that lot.

I built a 1/72 P-61 Black Widow a couple of years back, and she had similar fire power - four .50cals in the turret and four 20mm in the belly, in about the same location as your Mozzie.

Your model continues to look good. You'll never wrench me away from model ships (a passion of mine for over 50 years now) but I might be tempted to dabble in a Mozzie myself one day, or maybe a Beaufighter .  .  .   Keep going with this. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Latest progress on this despite the punishing temperatures in my shed:

tn_Mosquito VI (52)

The rockets took literally all day, thanks to some very odd build progression and tooling by Special Hobby. They make Kitty Hawk seem simple. The rocket rails themselves are fine, being one piece mouldings, The rockets are six parts each but the attachment points of the parts to the sprues, especially the fins, seem deliberately engineered to create the most painstaking cleanup possible.

I double-stacked them using some plastic strip to make the stirrups for the lower of each pair. The existing moulded stirrups for these had to be scraped and sanded off. It looks close enough, even for 1/32.

Though this set of eight rockets and launchers is probably the most cost effective solution for aftermarket 1/32 RP-3s, if you can afford the photoetch/brass competitors, go for it!

tn_Mosquito VI (53)

The guard rails were an improvisation by groundcrews to prevent jettisoned slipper tanks from impacting the rockets, so I improvised mine as well.

tn_Mosquito VI (54)

The patterns were in the Aviaeology Banff Strike Wing PDF for 404 Sqn.

tn_Mosquito VI (56)

Since some of the detail had been lost through sanding I used my old fave Tamiya tape to recreate it.

As an added bonus, the first coat of Medium Sea Grey is now applied. I'll keep you in suspense for those photos!

Well it's 39C in the shed right now so that's a good time to avoid modelling for the moment!

Alan

• Like 5

If anyone was following my Tornado EF3 build earlier this year, you might remember a Beaufighter I was building alongside. This is as far as I got with it:

tn_Beaufighter (18) tn_Beaufighter (20) tn_Beaufighter (22) tn_Beaufighter (21)

Sadly the decals didn't work out so well - a combination of the old and knackered kit decals and the Xtradecal serial numbers which just refused to go down even on the gloss finish. So it's just languishing in an unfinished state. If the Mossie comes out ok I hope it will be able to join its Coastal Command sibling on a shelf somewhere!

Alan

• Like 8

Nice work on the Mossie with the tape  that is a cracking idea I must remember.   The rockets are looking good to, six pieces per rocket !!!

Good to see the Beau again Alan what a shame the  decals wouldn't settle.   Have you tried using a diluted Klear , using 60% klear to 40% water the decals can be taken off the backing as normal and floated in place on the klear on the model, pressed down and they should stick okay . I got the idea from @stevehnz and it's a great one.

Hope it's not too hot in the mancave fella,  I remember the extremes when modelling in the loft.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just caught up and the Mossie looks great. Nice surface finish, rockets and props.

I can't see a lot wrong with the Beau from here, but if you're not happy then it's best to leave it for now.

• Thanks 1

Coming along nicely I like the two tiered rocket rails!

You are not the only one suffering in a hot shed!!!!!☀️🔥 32 c in mine today! Need a 🚿:cool:

• Like 1

Thanks very much chaps.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:25 PM, stevehnz said:

For Alan @Alan P, this is what Chris @bigbadbadge is talking about, a very good idea for decals that won't settle and all sorts of other decal woes.

Steve.

Good idea, I used Klear for decals for ages but then came away from it because it was too gooey, never considered thinning it :doh: So that's a good tip to use @stevehnz

tn_Mosquito VI (57)

Paint is on :yahoo:Used up my entire final stock of Gunze Mr Color MSG and RAF DG but it was worth it.

tn_Mosquito VI (58)

But of course there was one lousy gap in the masking and it's very visible 😠

tn_Mosquito VI (59)

...aaand I've run out of matching paint :raincloud:

On the plus side, it's almost finished :lol:

Alan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1