Gulf War A-7E Corsair II VA-72 Blue Hawks

The aircraft part of this build was completed for the Gulf War GB a couple of weeks ago, but I was unable to get the weapons loadout finished for the deadline. I wrapped up the three AGM-88's that I wanted to add yesterday, and fixed those and a pair of AIM-9's in place last night. 

With the A-7E gradually being retired when Iraq invaded Kuwait in early August 1990, I wanted to try and portray a tired looking aircraft on what would be a "Last Hurrah" for this aircraft type on its final deployment. To achieve that I sprayed patches of Lifecolor's FS36375 over an overall base of FS36320, then, following a Florys Dark Dirt wash further weathering was done with oils before a matt layer sealed everything in - I hope that you like the way it has turned out.

51235182537_419fb70830_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51236099933_1724b9e784_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51235890696_b4be66fd83_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51236100053_490f6c8f49_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51236100178_cdc96c9108_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51236666434_8ce7410226_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 54

Good looking SLUFF. One of my favorite jets of the era. Great looking finish. Spot on. Just my opinion, I've seen dirtier aircraft come through the Cannon AFB transient area. Thanks for sharing.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

What a great model! :goodjob: Just the right amount of weathering IMHO:D

In what now seems like more than a coincidence I have just gotten my good old Hasegawa 1/48 A-7E down from the attic! :D

A sign perhaps that I should build it? :hmmm: (I bought it in 1990 so maybe it's about time? :whistle: )

Cheers :bye:

Han J

• Like 2

Well done with the build and finish, interesting weapons load as well.

Looks used but not overdone, exactly right in my opinion 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, f111guru said:

Good looking SLUFF. One of my favorite jets of the era. Great looking finish. Spot on. Just my opinion, I've seen dirtier aircraft come through the Cannon AFB transient area. Thanks for sharing.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

2 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Thanks for your valuable comments chaps. I usually build in 1/144 scale so I am a little reticent when it comes to weathering - i.e. I don't generally do it. :lol: However, for this build I went all in and tried out a few different things, and as you say Ron there are some grubbier looking A-7's out there, but in the end I decided to go down the route of when you think that you can add more then stop, maybe I got off a stop too early. :winkgrin:

2 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

In what now seems like more than a coincidence I have just gotten my good old Hasegawa 1/48 A-7E down from the attic! :D

A sign perhaps that I should build it? :hmmm: (I bought it in 1990 so maybe it's about time? :whistle: )

Han J

Hans,

All of the signs are saying that it is definitely the A-7E's turn to be built. I am sure that you already know that it is a nice kit and makes up well, so it is time for you to crack on buddy. :D

Cheers

John

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Han J

Odd that you say that about the old Hasegawa kit. I have both the A-7D and A-7E in the ready. Both bought when they first came out along with the Monogram (Aurora) A-7A plus a good half dozen ESCI A-7D/E kits. In that time from my return to the US from RAF Lakenheath only one was ever built. So a sign, Hmm yes. Some teasing from the mid 80's

IMG_0010 IMG_0144

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

Thanks for all of your comments guys, they are really appreciated.

Cheers

John

15 hours ago, Alan P said:

Well done with the build and finish, interesting weapons load as well.

Alan

The weapons load was based on the Blue Hawks aircraft refuelling in this photo, and like you I thought it was something different.

A-7E's with AGM-88 HARM's

John 

Hello Nimrod,

Excellent result for this 30 years old model.

Not overly dirty, the crew chief would not allow it.

regards, Orion

• Like 1

There isn`t many things better than a Corsair of either vintage, that is well weathered and used.  This is a superb rendition of a combat aircraft. :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1