1/48 scale Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King

As a chopper fan I built the Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King out of about 30 years old Hasegawa kit. I have always liked the looks of the Sea King and remember well the number 66 that used to fetch the astronauts of many Apollo missions from the sea. Despite its age the kit was of very good quality with many details and easy to assemble. However, the model took me quite a long time to build since there were lots of parts and big number of decals to attach. From the aftermarket I ordered Eduard window masks and interior photoeches for the cockpit.

The kit contained decals and painting instructions for three chopper versions. I chose to build the Sea King 614 that operated from the USS Midway, I painted the surface with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer and sprayed it then with Tamiya clear gloss TS-13 from rattle can. The lower surface I painted with Xtracolor Light gull grey, X137. After having attached the decals I sealed them with MIG satin varnish. I also used Vallejo acrylics and Humbrol enamels for the smaller details.  I sprayed carefully the inside of the transparent green window panels of the cockpit with Tamiya clear green, X-25.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 45

27 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

As close to perfection as make no difference. Splendid modelling indeed!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you Joachim!

Einar

Very nice work! I like the droop on the main rotor blades, particularly. I have one of these in the stash to build as a Westland Mk.50A - I hope it comes out as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Very nice work! I like the droop on the main rotor blades, particularly. I have one of these in the stash to build as a Westland Mk.50A - I hope it comes out as well.

Thank you Bell209!

I wish you good luck with the Westland👍

Cheers

Einar

51 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Very nicely done!:thumbsup:

I know nothing of helicopters. Is it possible top build the Apollo version from that kit? 

Thank you!

It's a good question. I could assume that there are decals in the aftermarket to build the Apollo version.

Cheers

Einar

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Wonderful model. Built this version 15 years ago with the rotors folded and enjoyed it very much, you have made a much better job than l did!

Thank you Farmerboy!

Cheers

Einar

1 minute ago, Kitbuilder54 said:

Looks Amazing , My favourite colour scheme on a Sea King 👍

Thank you!

Cheers 

Einar

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Top build!!

Can't believe the kit is 30 years old already!

Thank you F-32!

I was also suprised at the excellent quality of the kit.

Cheers 

Einar

On 6/10/2021 at 4:56 AM, dnl42 said:

Very nicely done!:thumbsup:

I know nothing of helicopters. Is it possible top build the Apollo version from that kit? 

It depends on how accurate you want your kit to be, the mainstream Hasegawa (and Revell re-issue) kit represents the later SH-3H version, whereas the Apollo Sea Kings were SH-3D versions, the main difference is that the earlier version had shorter sponsons without the Sonobuoy Launchers and MAD Bird extensions. 

There are conversion kits out there and some of the Hasegawa kits include the short sponsons, Hasegawa did release an SH-3D kit but availability of it is like the proverbial "hen's teeth" or "rocking horse manure".  There are decals available from Starfighter/Old 66 Decals.

There is a breakdown of what parts are included in each Hasegawa kit on the Modelling Madness site: http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48e.htm

• Thanks 1