C-47: Hobbyboss vs Airfix?

Killingholme

Hi all,

I've been wanting to build a Vietnam-era EC-47 for quite a while, and I wondered whether anyone has any views on the relative merits of the two most modern 1/72 C-47 kits on the market- Airfix (for which there is a lot of information available online), and Hobbyboss (for which there isn't).

Any views on accuracy, buildability, or indeed the suitability as a basis for conversion to a EC-47?

Will

Depending on which EC-47 you want to build, you may want to try and locate ESCI's R4D with the Pinnocchio nose and skies for certain versions of the EC-47, because some had the lengthened nose.  If I had to choose between Airfix and Hobbyboss, it would be Airfix all the way.  Much more accurate shape in general.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Depending on which EC-47 you want to build, you may want to try and locate ESCI's R4D with the Pinnocchio nose and skies for certain versions of the EC-47, because some had the lengthened nose.  If I had to choose between Airfix and Hobbyboss, it would be Airfix all the way.  Much more accurate shape in general.

I would if I could! The R4D boxing seems as rare as hen's teeth! I was just going to build up a new nose on mine using Milliput over a plasticard former.

2 hours ago, Killingholme said:

I was just going to build up a new nose on mine using Milliput over a plasticard former.

Aha! A real model builder, not an assembler! I've got an Esci kit, and it was really much more accurate than the Italeri kit, which I also have, but the new-tool Airfix kit is the class of the field, as @TheyJammedKenny! has stated.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

A real model builder, not an assembler!

I agree completely.  Better perhaps to build up the shape you want rather than rely on ESCI's imperfect permutation, as good as it may be.  You've probably been on the EC-47 web-site, and there are plenty of photos and anecdotes there to entertain oneself with.  There were so many permutations of EC-47 it's possible to build one with a nose that is roughly the shape of the original, but which contained a weather radar (I think).  My favorite are the "banjo" antennas that adorn the upper fuselage and tail.  Good luck with those!  It was a very dangerous mission, and I respect the men who flew them.

• Like 2