Mr Hobby "Aqueous" 58 has changed colour

jenko

Now here's an interesting one. I love Mr.Hobby acrylic paint. 58 is the go to interior green for WW2 American aircraft. So I've just ordered 3 more jars to keep me topped up.

Now imagine my surprise when the order came and it is now a different colour.

DPP_0000

DPP_0001

Original on the left new one on the right.

It's more akin to zinc chromate. 

I did order the correct number...before you ask;)

Anyone know what's going on??

Your input here would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dick 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds very familiar to their Dark Earth H72 for which there is another thread which is going along similar lines. Unfortunately, Gunze seem to have changed their aqueous paint formula and we diehard modellers are finding out the hard way. So that’s H72 and H58 scrubbed off the list, I wonder how many more (if not all) have been effected this way? 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Sent them an email...no reply ...that's over a week ago.

Back to the old trusted Tamiya............................ 

Been one of those years....

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

The new formula defiantely drys better than the old one especially the gloss colours whichnow dry rock hard but the colour matches on a lot of them are now way off...shame as many of the their matches..FS..BS etc were very good..end of a era in a way..some of the colours have stayes the same such US Navy Light Gull Grey..RAF Dark Earth is now some sort of dull brown..hand paining the paint drags on the brush because it's drying so fast..reminds me of AK Real Color armour line..i've tried adding  some Tamiya acrylic retarder which seems help

Leslie

I received a response from Gunze that may interest you:

Dear Ray,

Sorry for our late reply.I'd be more than happy to help you.

In association with the revise we did on our aqueous color range in late 2019, we changed some of the color including H72 to match them with lacquer counterpart.

In the past, those aqueous colors were inacurate, or differ from the lacquer colors due to the technical limitation of the colorant.

With the development of new colorant, we could produce the aqueos colors that look same as the lacquer one, thus we revised them.

Please feel welcome to reply to this message if you have any other questions and we'd be more than happy to help.

Regards,

-------------------------------------------

GSI Creos Corporation

• Thanks 2

Thanks Ray, now the challenge is to test their new aqueous colours to their Mr. Colour equivalents. The problem is that their paint numbering usually differs, as H72 is Dark Earth and C72 is Intermediate Blue? 
Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

I received a response from Gunze that may interest you:

Dear Ray,

Sorry for our late reply.I'd be more than happy to help you.

In association with the revise we did on our aqueous color range in late 2019, we changed some of the color including H72 to match them with lacquer counterpart.

In the past, those aqueous colors were inacurate, or differ from the lacquer colors due to the technical limitation of the colorant.

With the development of new colorant, we could produce the aqueos colors that look same as the lacquer one, thus we revised them.

Please feel welcome to reply to this message if you have any other questions and we'd be more than happy to help.

Regards,

-------------------------------------------

GSI Creos Corporation

Very interesting response. But I'll go back to my original posting. The interior green was correct but now is more like Zinc Chromate ..... so technically the name should have changed as well. It's about time Tamiya came up with this colour.

Dick

And to think this is meant to be a relaxing hobby ........Hey  Ho.

39 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Ray, now the challenge is to test their new aqueous colours to their Mr. Colour equivalents. The problem is that their paint numbering usually differs, as H72 is Dark Earth and C72 is Intermediate Blue? 

Yes, not easy and no direct correlation. Their latest product range colour chart might be a good place to start.

https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/common/header-utility-link/main/00/teaserItems1/0/linkList/00/link/Mr.Hobbyleaflet.pdf

For example, H464 Chrome Green may be now an alternative to old H58. Not promoting this as it could be a totally wrong colour like a silver green.

Regarding H72, I find Mr Color Dark Earth H369, based on BS381C/450, seems to give that less orange tone of their old H72. This possible difference between the post war BS381C standardisation and wartime MAP colours was discussed here.

I note @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said this in an earlier post 2017:

"They're not colours that manufacturers should be cut any slack on for getting wrong and there equally shouldn't be much debate about the colours either besides how far they may have weathered in the aircraft's service life. BS381C-241 shows what Dark Green should look like and BS381C-450 shows what Dark Earth looked like. The BS381C shades are good practical matches with the MAP chips in the RAF Museum approved book."

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234942722-what-paints-for-dark-earth-dark-green/&do=findComment&comment=2698099

I am interested in his current thinking. 

Seems we have much more colour discussion to come. 

Ray

Just now, Steben said:

Adding black will render interior green. Still, it is a sad change.

Cheers................................. But should you have to do it in the first place???

The recent H 400 series are apprently Geram Railraod colours..that's why they have German names on them..odd but there you are..in the Mr Color lacquer range tthere are now two RAF like colours..the original ones and the ones that came in the boxed sets are now availabe individually..ie C22 Dark Earth and Dark Earth BS381C/450 C369

ps Looks like the above reply clears up the colour change in the H range

Leslie

On 7/5/2021 at 6:41 AM, Ray_W said:

Yes, not easy and no direct correlation. Their latest product range colour chart might be a good place to start.

https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/common/header-utility-link/main/00/teaserItems1/0/linkList/00/link/Mr.Hobbyleaflet.pdf

For example, H464 Chrome Green may be now an alternative to old H58. Not promoting this as it could be a totally wrong colour like a silver green.

Regarding H72, I find Mr Color Dark Earth H369, based on BS381C/450, seems to give that less orange tone of their old H72. This possible difference between the post war BS381C standardisation and wartime MAP colours was discussed here.

I note @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said this in an earlier post 2017:

"They're not colours that manufacturers should be cut any slack on for getting wrong and there equally shouldn't be much debate about the colours either besides how far they may have weathered in the aircraft's service life. BS381C-241 shows what Dark Green should look like and BS381C-450 shows what Dark Earth looked like. The BS381C shades are good practical matches with the MAP chips in the RAF Museum approved book."

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234942722-what-paints-for-dark-earth-dark-green/&do=findComment&comment=2698099

I am interested in his current thinking. 

Seems we have much more colour discussion to come. 

Ray

Follow Ray's cat link. I found their latest catalogue on their japanes site. They Aqueous in the new PDF should be the new colors.

https://www.mr-hobby.com/ja/promos2/0/link/colorchart2021_compressed.pdf

In this new PDF, the Mr. Color section has corresponding Aqueous colour noted as well.

H58 -> C27

H72 -> C22

H73 -> C23

Edited by vixvix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...