Radiation on an Aircraft

dov

33 minutes ago, Julien said:

Yes this is correct for the A-10 round, the DU core is in an Aluminium jacket. 

DU does not flatten on impact but self sharpens almost the outer bits which come off ignite, its this bit you dont want to breath in. Hence why after the Gulf war servicemen were told to stay clear of tanks knocked out as this could still be present. 

Now these I would not want to fire!

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/duk6y19ulaaz_1-700x525.jpg

Link gives this:

Error 1011

Ray ID: 65f1765588e22b29 • 2021-06-14 06:22:05 UTC

Access denied

What happened?

The owner of this website (www.thetruthaboutguns.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/duk6y19ulaaz_1-700x525.jpg).

3 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Link gives this:

Error 1011

Ray ID: 65f1765588e22b29 • 2021-06-14 06:22:05 UTC

Access denied

What happened?

The owner of this website (www.thetruthaboutguns.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/duk6y19ulaaz_1-700x525.jpg).

fixed the picture now

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dov said:

This are very interesting facts, I had no idea of them!

Thorium Alloy  

Thank you for this info, I did not known about adding Th to light alloys. Very interesting. 

Regarding biz jets - they flight above the airliner level so the doses are a bit higher. Here is a drawing how dose from different components of cosmic rays change with altitude (the X axis is in logarithmic scale!, https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Effective-dose-rate-depending-on-the-altitude_fig1_253302207 )

Effective-dose-rate-depending-on-the-alt

So the neutron dose for biz jet people is less then twice those for people in airliners.

Currently in developed countries all the different kinds of cancer as a reason of death are close to 25%.  It is in developed countries, so in countries with the longest life span. The long one live the higher is risk to die for cancer, since they occur much frequently in older age. This is sad story, but in poorer part of world people less frequently dies for cancer because they dies  in a younger age for many other diseases or accidents...

Regards

J-W

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I was in Krakow Museum of Aviation with a G-M detector. The GE J-79 engine shows presence of radioactive material along all the compressor section. On a surface of engine the dose rate was 3.5 microGy/h at maximum. It means that one have to stand close next to engine for ~300 hours to get maximum permitted dose for general public equal to 1 mSv in a year. The background in this hall was 0.25 microGy/h.  Surprisingly, much more radioactive was a compressor part of SNECMA Atar engine (from Mirage III), revealing up to 14 microGy/h on surface. So it means that one can stand next to it for about 80 hours during a year. I did not found any other engine or surface of an airplane having increased radiation. The instruments (clocks) with radium paint showed up to 24 microGy/h from short distance, so were much radioactive than the Th-Mg alloys.   

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

Hallo

This is very interesting. Actually I wonder. Since I am astonished about this high radiation on the Atar engine. I know from several cases of cancer from maintenance personel in the IAF. Also about cancer from tank prrsonel in the IDF.

I will try to get a more precise information on jet engines from manufactures. Next week I will try.

Happy modelling

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 5:22 PM, Graham Boak said:

The highest normal levels of radiation will be found in areas of granite, but a lifetime living in a house in such an area is not threatening.

Though some people say this explains a lot about we Aberdonians...

• Haha 1

This is a most interesting forum discussion.  I realise that we (human beings, engineers) have done quite a lot of things that seemed sensible, or necessary, at one time, only to realise later that there were other consequences, not appreciated originally.

I recall one of the first aircraft had I had a share in a sailplane, had  a number of ex-military instruments, When flying near dusk, the way the panel used to slowly illuminate was interesting and actually rather reassuring in the gloom and turbulence of a stormy evening sky!   Ignorance is bliss...

Also, I spent some spare time, many years ago, assisting a radiation monitoring and fallout prediction group in the UK Monitoring & Warning Service.    We were supposed toe estimate likely fallout levels during and after a nuclear attack - something we all expected to have happen -  and work out damage & causality levels, recommend where rescue or evacuation could be attempted, for how long and by which routes.  Fascinating but in retrospect gruesome calculations and estimates, which 'informed' my thoughts on both military and civil risks in nuclear operations.

We mostly used rads then as  a measure - I recall 75 rads being what was described as the 'War Emergency Dose', i.e. the acceptable dose which rescue personnel and military personnel could be required to be exposed to in the course of necessary duties.  It was felt then that on average people would survive that dosage without lethal damage and without excess risk to future offspring.  Given that I think around 450 rads was considered a likely lethal dose, this seemed very optimistic to me as a young man. 

Crude measures, crude days - and of course radiation dose effects on tissue depends on many other factors. We didn't have the detail data to allow for that. 

JWM knows so much more about this than I do ; it was all a long time ago and I'm just glad we never had to find out more about it for real. 

In may ways it was the calculations of nuclear explosion damage to infrastructure and  access routes, roads, bridges etc which would have been of most use to rescue forces ! 

John B

• Thanks 1

What a really interesting and informative thread= clearly from some knowledgeable members. I had a number of 50's aeroplane instruments in my model room before we emigrated but they did not make the trip over- sounds like it was a good thing,

Colin