Hello!.

This is the first car model that I ever build.

Throughout my very interrupted 30+ years of scale modelling, I never thought to build a car. But like with anything else one day I got inspired by the amazing work of a fellow modeller. I loved what I saw and immediately thought that maybe I could try and give it a go. Probably the most intimidating thing about modelling cars is the super gloss and slick finishes, which is completely different to what I usually do, and with almost no weathering at all! (except a bit in their engines). Also, I was always put off by the endless amount of aftermarket details that make car modelling quite expensive and difficult to research. 

So I decided to start with something relatively "simple". To me, the sixties racing has the most beautiful cars of all eras so I pick up this Tamiya kit of the winner of the Mexican Grand Prix of 1965. The kit is quite old and it shows its age but is a strong base to add extra detail. I've added all hoses and connectors in the engines as well as some extra scratch detail at the nose area, wheels and windscreen.

The build went so smoothly and was such enjoyable that I will more likely do other models, So I hope you guys like it!. 😀

oU5VcCv.jpg

EcNwMBk.jpg

OLX1M5l.jpg

3afp0wm.jpg

mpbZ6mG.jpg

cswkkAi.jpg

eC7oj7j.jpg

wswUopY.jpg

r22S0xh.jpg

fggiMJO.jpg

mXFDphc.jpg

Bo6BnPG.jpg

bMjGAOk.jpg

l58V9kL.jpg

VeuFXWW.jpg

42NLIdF.jpg

SKWbePI.jpg

n4vrB3z.jpg

ycdGnGE.jpg

XQFSLlc.jpg

c8bjsue.jpg

cheers, and thanks for looking

Jorge

Edited by jarkmodels
fixed text
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Very Very nicely done ✔.   Having built this kit along time ago (and no where near as go as yours) I can appreciate just how much extra detail you've added.   - Andy PS your photography is fantastic too.

Edited by Toftdale
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Got to agree with the others, this is a great effort full stop, let alone for a first car. The shine you have achieved doesn't suggest first car build either.

Thank you Spiny. As I've mentioned I had some concerns about the glossy finish, but it turned out not to be that difficult. I didn't use any fancy product like Zero two parts or anything. Just my regular Tamiya/AK Real colour lacquer paints and Gunze GX112 Clear Gloss combo that I always use. The only difference this time was to sanding and polishing every coat in order to incrementally get a very smooth surface. I mostly used INFINI model sanding pads and Tamiya polishing compound.

The whole painting process was something like this:

• Cleaning the plastic, sanding any imperfections, injection marks.
  • Priming with Mr. surfacer 1500, sanding+polishing.
  • First coat of paint, sanding+polishing.
  • Second coat of paint, sanding+polishing.
  • First coat of Clear gloss GX112, sanding+polishing.
  • Decals.
  • Second coat of Clear gloss GX112, sanding+polishing (and for sealing the decals)
  • Third coat of Clear gloss GX112, sanding with higher a number grit and polishing with Tamiya's Polishing compound Coarse/Fine 
  • One final application of Tamiya Finish polishing compound with a clean soft cloth 

And from that final step onwards I try always to wear gloves not to stain the finish with dirty fingers!.

And thanks to all for commenting and looking. I appreciate the nice words!

cheers

Jorge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wonderful detail! This looks as if the motor would be started any minute. I'm surprised by the transverse engine, queer idea!?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toryu said:

Wonderful detail! This looks as if the motor would be started any minute. I'm surprised by the transverse engine, queer idea!?

Thanks Toryu! Glad you liked it 😉

I have to confess I don't know anything about cars (been this one my first build) but yeah, a transverse engine seems to be a pretty weird and uncommon idea.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2021 at 08:30, jarkmodels said:

Thanks Toryu! Glad you liked it 😉

I have to confess I don't know anything about cars (been this one my first build) but yeah, a transverse engine seems to be a pretty weird and uncommon idea.

cheers

I reiterate the earlier (and later) comments. The work (both model and photography) is of a very high quality. Very interesting subject and wonderfully portrayed. The comment about the transverse engine layout made me wonder if the engine was not pre stressed and thus there is a load bearing structure between the car chassis and gearbox. Hence the engine needed to be supported within this structure and hence its transverse orientation for convenience and weight distribution. 

• Like 1

Fabulous result on an old mold 1/20 F1 kit! And amazing to think this is your first car kit, it doubtlessly benefited from skills you developed in building other modeling subjects (aircraft? Ships? AFV?). I would love to see what you can do with one of the more recenly tooled ‘60’s -‘70’s F1 subjects such as the recent Ebbro issues ( Lotus 49/ 49B/ 49C/ 72C/72E, Brabham BT18 F2, Tyrrell 002/003). Whatever you chose, please keep building and posting more auto subjects! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Fabulous result on an old mold 1/20 F1 kit! And amazing to think this is your first car kit, it doubtlessly benefited from skills you developed in building other modeling subjects (aircraft? Ships? AFV?). I would love to see what you can do with one of the more recenly tooled ‘60’s -‘70’s F1 subjects such as the recent Ebbro issues ( Lotus 49/ 49B/ 49C/ 72C/72E, Brabham BT18 F2, Tyrrell 002/003). Whatever you chose, please keep building and posting more auto subjects! 

8 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Oops! Just realized you posted wonderful the BT18 build here as well! I’ll try to do a better job reviewing other postings here before I comment. So sorry!

No worries nearsightedjohn! Thank you for your nice comments. 👍 Yeah this one was my first car but as you've clearly figure it out I've done various models before, many of which I've posted here in the forum. If you'll like to see some you can look at my profile or my personal site as well here : jarkmodels

I've got a taste or a newer kit when doing Ebbro's BT18 and I've been having such a good time doing F1 cars that I have already purchased a couple more than I'm planing to build in the near future and I'm hoping eventually to move to something more detailed like a Model Fatory Hiro kit or similar.

Thank you to all of you for looking and commenting! I always appreciatte the support and constructive criticism.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

You can't fool me! You've been secretly producing auto models for years 😄. Excellent work.

I'm relieved to see that you also use GX112, a clear coat I've been using for some time not being a huge fan with these new fangled 'super' gloss 2 pak finishes (mainly because I can't do it).

• Like 1