Australian Beaufighter

I think I will slow down a bit and improve the quality of the builds. The Mk21 (Tamiya) has a bad wing joint on the top surface, towards the trailing edge. I will fix that tomorrow. 

Today I'm taking it easy because I had my second vaccination. I will be interested in seeing what the effects will be over the next few days. I'm the first of my group to get it, so people are finally paying attention to me.😉

• Like 4

I had another problem with this one. I forgot to paint the cockpit frames interior green.  In the end I removed the masks and the cockpit clear part and cleaned the black paint off with Isopol thinner. This plane will have a different scheme now.  I had a spare kit which I had made up over the weekend. This one will be the Australian Beaufighter. It is a better build, so should end up a better finished model.

The Australian Beaufighter got it's green coat this morning.  I'm pleased with the color Dave suggested. I will added an image here this afternoon once the paint is dry enough. 

Now this issue is weathering. The Pre-shading has worked well this time.

• Like 1

This is my latest update on the Australian Beaufighter Mk21. 

I have done the decals. Unfortunately it is going to be wet for a few days which will holdup sealing them. 

You will notice the wingtips only have the navigation lights. This is normal for the Australian made planes.

The top glass is just dry fitted. As I don't want to risk breaking the gun canopy I have only  chosen not to paint the framework. 

The Australian Beau's didn't have frames in this canopy. 

I still have weathering and work to do on the Cowellings front rings. 

The plane is darker than shown here. 

Beau Aussie image5

• Like 8

Sadly the decals were 1/72. Thanks to Dave for pointing it out. I thought they looked a bit odd. Anyway I have ripped them off. Fortunately I hadn't sealed them in.

This build will go on hold for a couple of weeks while I get new decals. 

7 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Sadly the decals were 1/72. Thanks to Dave for pointing it out. I thought they looked a bit odd. Anyway I have ripped them off. Fortunately I hadn't sealed them in.

This build will go on hold for a couple of weeks while I get new decals. 

It's all recoverable Greg and your little Aussie buddy can sort you out with 1/48 decals in a short while. As we like to say over here... "She'll be right mate!". 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 3

Thanks Dave. At least I have three other Beau's to keep me going. It was a shame because I quite liked the look and was keen to get it finished next week. 

Fortunately Dave is sending the same markings, so P-SK will live again. 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, Greg Law said:

Fortunately Dave is sending the same markings, so P-SK will live again. 🙂

In the post today Greg so barring any issues they should arrive shortly. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave  

P.S - I've just had another look at your photograph and these Eagle Strike decals do not have the white nose writing as per your model. There is a similar decal with the word 'Babs', however the instructions suggest this is for SK-N A8-116. I have not included this decal.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The Australian Beaufighter is back in the workshop. Daves second set of decals arrived today. They are already on the plane. Looks a lot better. Unfortunately I damaged one of the fuselage roundels when I was fixing a tail decal which had broken and gave me trouble getting it back together.  The decals were very fragile and my sleeve must have touched the fuselage one. I'm kicking myself because I normally set them as I go and let them dry, knowing how clumsy I am.

Still I will try to paint the damage tomorrow. Photo update in a day or two. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Greg Law said:

The Australian Beaufighter is back in the workshop. Daves second set of decals arrived today. They are already on the plane. Looks a lot better. Unfortunately I damaged one of the fuselage roundels when I was fixing a tail decal which had broken and gave me trouble getting it back together.  The decals were very fragile and my sleeve must have touched the fuselage one. I'm kicking myself because I normally set them as I go and let them dry, knowing how clumsy I am.

Still I will try to paint the damage tomorrow. Photo update in a day or two. 

While it's still in the shop, maybe you could paint the engine gear casings the proper X-18 semi-gloss black.

Chris

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great in the overall foliage green!

Regards,

Adrian

It looks even better with the new decals. I will put up a new image once I have sorted the damaged roundel and corrected the paint on the engine. 

I'm in lockdown, so I'm getting lots of modelling done.

• Like 1

Glad to hear the second set of decals arrived and that you've now recovered the fuselage roundel mishap Greg. We'll look forward to seeing some good photo's of this Beaufighter once done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Just letting you know the Australian Beaufighter is complete.  This one is a factory fresh build. It is too dark for photos today. Ihope to get some tomorrow.  

The TF-X will be delayed.  I had a mishap touching up the bad leading edge paint. Hope to get it sorted tomorrow. 

Now onto the IF nightfigher and the Mk.VI Malta.

• Like 2

She’s come up a real treat Greg and so glad that 2nd set of decals finally arrived. You’ve done a grand job of this Tamiya kit so well done and well modelled.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1