Australian Beaufighter

Well I'm adding one last build to this GB. I have found my Tamiya kit. It allows me to build Australian Beaufighter. I already have the decals. 

It will be interesting to compare the the kits.

RAAF Beau image1

• Like 9

You’ve committed deeply to this GB Greg, however all are lovely choices and I look forward to seeing how you get on with this kit. Let me know if those decals need replacing, I’ve got the Aeromaster(?) sheet somewhere so could help out if those ones play up. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

Greg, the official colour was RAAF Foliage Green and without wanting to start some type of colour argument I’d suggest something similar to Mr Aqueous H302, US Medium Green FS34092. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Greg,

I am not building anything in the Bristol GB but will follow along. 

On 6/9/2021 at 5:44 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Mr Aqueous H302, US Medium Green FS34092

I like Dave's recommendation. It's what I would be using for this subject.

Ray

Hi Greg,

The Putnams book on Bristol says that the Aussies had 51 Fairey built Mk IC were intending to build a version of the VIC with Hercules 26 as the Mk VII, or as a back up if engine supplies failed, one with Wright Double Cyclones and longer nacelles as the Mks VIII and IX, but as Hercules supplies were OK the majority of the RAAF Beaus were Mk 21 locally built and based on drawings of the Mk X. The engines were Hercules XVIII and they had a bulge in front of the canopy for a Sperry autopilot though I understand it was never actually fitted. They also may have fitted 50cal wing guns. Sounds like you may have to do a bit of modification!

Pete

Progress on this one today is I now have a pot of H302  on the bench. These Aqueous paints are hard to get here at the moment. I think the virus is having an effect on the trade routes to NZ.

• Like 1

Having suggested this paint to you Greg I now do honestly hope it’s a good colour match. There are a few threads going around that Gunze’s new aqueous range differ remarkably from their old colours. I personally have wasted money buying their new formula Dark Earth H72 and others on here are having similar problems with RAF Dark Green, US Interior Green and another colour I can’t quite remember at the moment. Is yours the new Blue label? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Having suggested this paint to you Greg I now do honestly hope it’s a good colour match. There are a few threads going around that Gunze’s new aqueous range differ remarkably from their old colours. I personally have wasted money buying their new formula Dark Earth H72 and others on here are having similar problems with RAF Dark Green, US Interior Green and another colour I can’t quite remember at the moment. Is yours the new Blue label? 

Cheers.. Dave 

This paint would be about nine months old. However  it is the light blue label. It looks good to me. I will use it and once done you can tell me if it is ok.

I would never claim to be any paint colour judge, however there are a few colour images of RAAF Beaufighters online that you should be able to compare your paint too. Colours fade and grime up over time so we probably shouldn’t get too pedantic anyway.  I’m sure you’ll be right and if you’re happy that’s all that counts. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2021 at 4:33 AM, Greg Law said:

This is the progress on the Aussie Beau. 

This will most likely be the first to completion. 

Beau Aussie image1

First to completion looks likely! That’s some speedy work, so far I’ve only had chance to look at the plastic and dream!!

looks very nice though. Looking forward to it progressing.

@Rabbit Leader thanks for the green call out, will need to store that away somewhere!

Rob

• Like 1

Yes Rob. The Tamiya is a much easier kit. The Revell kit is causing all sorts of problems getting a good fit. Including getting the flaps to line up. The wings internal parts are the cause. It is hard to get them to line up correctly. This doesn't become apparent until you try to add the flaps. By that time it is too late to sort the internal parts. 

• Like 1

This one is now black based. I will focus on getting this one done now. I've painted the front of the cowellings and clear coated them, so hopefully a mask won't lift the paint off them when I do the green coat.

Turns out it wasn't a missed seam. The top joint had came apart.  Must have happened during the painting process.  You would think Tamiya extra thin would glue Tamiya plastic very strongly.  Looks like it doesn't always. 

10 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Turns out it wasn't a missed seam. The top joint had came apart.  Must have happened during the painting process.  You would think Tamiya extra thin would glue Tamiya plastic very strongly.  Looks like it doesn't always. 

Ive had that problem with Tamiya E.T. before, I use a system of different glues now. I use the old fashioned tube cement on some areas to give it more flex and T.e.T. to help. Sometimes I even use C/A to help. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I've added CA to the top of the joint to fill any gaps, so that should help.

Good option Greg.

My tricks with Tamiya Extra Thin are firstly ensure no paint on the joint surface from, say, interior detail painting like cockpits. I even go to the trouble of using thin strips of masking tape. Just remember to remove them all 😁 ask me how I know. Secondly, I also do not apply the Tamiya thin to the fuselage then join. I join the fuselage halves and then allow it to wick in. Does not matter how close you think you have the join, it finds a way. A little on the outside evaporates with no permanent staining. Accidentally too much and a quick hit with the hair dryer. I usually just work a section at a time. Gives a strong joint and no soft centre. 

Ray 

• Like 2

Thanks Ray. I usually do do remove paint from matting surfaces. I might have missed it this time.  Anyway it is all fixed up. If interested have a look atvthe IF thread. Trouble this the engines.  

Looking great Greg and I’m sure the CA will do the recovery job on that upper seam. I’m still using tube cement for main part adhesion and will overlay a line of Tamiya Extra thin over the top to hopefully assist fuse the parts together. There’s many ways to skin a cat so go with what works. 
Cheers.. Dave