Major Gregory 'Pappy' Boyington - 1/9 Bust

Bust of 'Pappy' Boyington, VMF-214, USMC, from Mitches Military Models. This is my first foray into painting busts, although as a warm up I'd done a couple of loose heads that I'd picked up from the MMM bargain bin at Telford. Painted with acrylics.

51232355728_7e11d57246_c.jpg

51233204180_999499ee1b_c.jpg

51233203920_094e8a36bf_c.jpg

51233203655_5de450bb93_c.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nicely done … :clap2:

35 minutes ago, giemme said:

Excellent job, Jason :clap: I love MMM busts :thumbsup:

Ciao

29 minutes ago, brodiebear said:

Very very nice

Thanks folks. I’m enjoying busts as a nice change from smaller scales, and MMM do have some nice subjects (at reasonable prices!). On this one I think I must have spent as much time on the face as the rest combined!

J.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

If that is your first I see a bright future for you, superb workmanship. If my first bust comes out that good I will be doing a wall of death around my living room...

Thanks. Done quite a lot of smaller scale figures before, just not larger scale busts. So not new to figure painting by any means!

• Like 1

You've definitely mastered the dark art of figure painting Jason, that looks incredibly convincing.

My Dad took me to the Reno Air Races when I was young and we stood in line for Pappy's autograph, very memorable, and I think you (and MMM) have caught the likeness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job, a fine representation of one of the more 'colourful' characters from WW2!

Some years ago I built the Airfix Hawk as his aircraft from the 1st Pursuit Squadron AVG, and whilst researching it I came across this transcript of the last interview he did before his death:

https://www.historynet.com/pappy-boyington-interview-with-the-us-world-war-ii-ace.htm

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

You've definitely mastered the dark art of figure painting Jason, that looks incredibly convincing.

My Dad took me to the Reno Air Races when I was young and we stood in line for Pappy's autograph, very memorable, and I think you (and MMM) have caught the likeness.

Cheers Cookie. I met Neville Duke once in similar circumstances at Tangmere. 

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Great job, a fine representation of one of the more 'colourful' characters from WW2!

Some years ago I built the Airfix Hawk as his aircraft from the 1st Pursuit Squadron AVG, and whilst researching it I came across this transcript of the last interview he did before his death:

https://www.historynet.com/pappy-boyington-interview-with-the-us-world-war-ii-ace.htm

Thanks for the link - great read. He certainly seems to have been a real character with an amazing life story.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's lovely. You are a talented painter of figures, sir. 

I too got into busts vis MMM's bargain bin!

Thanks. Can't really go wrong for a couple of pounds each can you?!

These are the first two I mentioned:

51330253696_e8801a509d_w.jpg 51330253096_f15c9239c6_w.jpg

Nice work indeed. I like the blonde hair which I found very tricky to do.

Those heads were certainly a bargain and a very good way to increase their customer base. I found very few faults on my 'seconds' My efforts are linked below if you want to have a look. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235096619-the-bar-is-in-full-swing-and-floating-rounds-of-cocktails-permeate-the-garden-outside-now-with-pictures/

Oh I see you already found it.

Edited by Bertie Psmith
Don't really know what's happening. lol.